Guelph Storm 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Chemistry. you nailed it.

Fabbris ego/attitude are seriously eroding the chemistry of the team.

Amazing the 12 month turnaround, from hero to villain.

Im guessing any 'lack of effort' comes from his ankle injury. The kid's been the hardest working player his entire way up minor hockey and into the OHL (our son lost to that Rebels team every year), I don't see how that character just disappears.

Guelph is being outscored 22-8 (double check that), its not Fabbri's fault they're losing, they are simply outclassed.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014

Im guessing any 'lack of effort' comes from his ankle injury. The kid's been the hardest working player his entire way up minor hockey and into the OHL (our son lost to that Rebels team every year), I don't see how that character just disappears.

Guelph is being outscored 22-8 (double check that), its not Fabbri's fault they're losing, they are simply outclassed.
No body here has blamed Fabbri for the way this series is going. If you look at previous posts from all the regulars it is pretty much what was expected. Soo is the team we were last season. No one here expects to win, we know that and are not delusional fans.
What people are talking about is the lack of effort, Fabbri is skating just fine. His head is no where near being in it however. The things he has attempted to do out on the ice are what frustrates us as Guelph fans. He has gone from the epitome of team player and leader last year, to this dipsy do, weave in here weave out there try to skate around 5 players 3 times and then shoot guy.... Ability has not been impacted.

Additionally:
Let me be the first to say it pains me to write this about Robby as he has been such a huge part of this organization. i hope he shakes whatever it is and if he is back next season I will take him back with open arms and hope he returns to the guy we had last year. If he is not back next year, I will be cheering him on and wishing nothing but the best and a long successful career for him!

Last edited:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

If it was due to an injury as some are hypothesizing, then likely the coach would know about it. If that was the case, why would the coach say what he did yesterday.

It's just my opinion, but if you're the coach, and you have a guy playing through pain to help the team, why would you then bench him and teach him a lesson?

IMO, it just doesn't add up to in being a lingering injury.

That said, I have no inside knowledge and concede that there may be more to this than whats been reported - thing is, I can really only comment on what's been reported.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If it was due to an injury as some are hypothesizing, then likely the coach would know about it. If that was the case, why would the coach say what he did yesterday.

It's just my opinion, but if you're the coach, and you have a guy playing through pain to help the team, why would you then bench him and teach him a lesson?

IMO, it just doesn't add up to in being a lingering injury.

That said, I have no inside knowledge and concede that there may be more to this than whats been reported - thing is, I can really only comment on what's been reported.

Slicker maybe it's the coach. When Hunter lost his second game he found a 5000 dollar reason to blame it on. The Kitchener coach. Maybe the Storm coach is just being out coached and found Fabbri's production as an excuse. Fabbri is a target. Shut him or Bertuzzi down and the Storm has zip. Easy to throw a player under the bus when someone sticks a mike in your face. Or maybe Fabbri just doesn't like his coach.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Slicker maybe it's the coach. When Hunter lost his second game he found a 5000 dollar reason to blame it on. The Kitchener coach. Maybe the Storm coach is just being out coached and found Fabbri's production as an excuse. Fabbri is a target. Shut him or Bertuzzi down and the Storm has zip. Easy to throw a player under the bus when someone sticks a mike in your face. Or maybe Fabbri just doesn't like his coach.

Doesn't seem fair to lay a game or an entire series on one player though. I know Fabbri is a go to guy, but there are 19 other guys out there who are equally to blame

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

Yeah, you might be right.

Though, Stewart (past indiscretions aside) has not been one to throw players under the bus in his time with the Storm - at least as far as I can remember. Often times, I have actually criticized him for being too soft on the team (at least publicly) following a bad game.

Again, I'm just going off what I see and hear - perhaps I am being too simplistic or naive.

I don't make a habit out of bashing kids on public forums. I don't think he's (Fabbri) a bad apple or anything. I just know that he has not been the same player this year as in years past, especially since his return from WJC/injury. Since no injury has been disclosed, it's hard for me to see the whole situation - including being made an example of by the coach - any other way than a change in attitude.

Who knows though. If there is an injury, then shame on Mr Stewart for throwing Robby under the bus the way he did.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
These things happen in this league. You see it every year.
I dont hold it against the kids, but understand it can be frustrating.
Gotta be tough keeping your head totally into it, knowing what's on the horizon.
Adults would have a tough time in similiar spot.

I know there still trying, I just think that focus can be tough.

May or May not be Fabbris issue, no idea. But I appreciate how tough it is to go thru.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
These things happen in this league. You see it every year.
I dont hold it against the kids, but understand it can be frustrating.
Gotta be tough keeping your head totally into it, knowing what's on the horizon.
Adults would have a tough time in similiar spot.

I know there still trying, I just think that focus can be tough.

May or May not be Fabbris issue, no idea. But I appreciate how tough it is to go thru.

Amen. I'd have a tough time staying focused on the present if I were him. Doesn't mean he's not trying, but it means he's not 100% in the moment, which is what the team needs right now.

Again, I'm not mad...just disappointed ;)

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
Fabbri wouldn't be the first player or the last player who returns from NHL camp/9game stint and/or the WJC with a changed attitude/persona. It is hard for fans to watch a player they loved turn into somebody who frustrates them to no end. IF the WJC injury is nagging and affecting his play, that tells me he was brought back too soon and/or is on the ice too much. Whatever the root causes are, I hope things get straightened out and Robbie returns to being the player fans loved to watch.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Amen. I'd have a tough time staying focused on the present if I were him. Doesn't mean he's not trying, but it means he's not 100% in the moment, which is what the team needs right now.

Agreed!
Fabbri isn't really to blame here, I lay it all at the feet of the St Louis Blues management team! If they misled him about being called up for the playoffs they are sending him the wrong message!

bidzey*

nobody on Guelph is to blame, playing against a monster team is to blame. It's not even fair really, but that's how it goes. As far as Fabbri goes, it's a good experience for him to be in this situation and will only make him an even better player down the road.

GEO II

Oct 27, 2006
Has anybody even thought about the difference in the quality of the players Robbi has played with this year. Nothing against this years players, but there isn't a Rychel, McGinn or Mitchell out there with him. For God's sake leave the kid alone, and remember what he has done for us in the past. He still put up 51 points in 30 games:handclap:, which means well over 100 points in a 68 game schedule, what more could you ask for.
THANKS Robbi for all the enjoyment you have given us.:yo:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Has anybody even thought about the difference in the quality of the players Robbi has played with this year. Nothing against this years players, but there isn't a Rychel, McGinn or Mitchell out there with him. For God's sake leave the kid alone, and remember what he has done for us in the past. He still put up 51 points in 30 games:handclap:, which means well over 100 points in a 68 game schedule, what more could you ask for.
THANKS Robbi for all the enjoyment you have given us.:yo:

Why the hostility?....the last page of posts has been pretty understanding of him and his situation, and I think has been pretty tame.

If you think he's playing to his full potential right now, I don't know what to tell you..plus, I think you're in the minority.

Personally I'm just disappointed that I'm not able to watch the Robby from the last couple of years, regardless of the reason.

I'll always remember the run to the OHL Championship last year, and I'll always remember he was the MVP!

GEO II

Oct 27, 2006
Here was no hostility intended if you see it, it's in your mind. No I don't think he is playing the way he did last year, but there are many many factors. High ankle sprains are worse than breaks, supporting cast around him isn't the same. To name a couple. Was he a dominant player in last years run YES, is he this year no. Are some people expecting too much, maybe. I respect what he has done for us in the past, and would be tickled pink if he'd been able to repeat this year, but this year isn't last year. Nor are the 2015 hounds the same as any of the teams we played last year. All I'm saying is ease up on the kid. I have too much respect for all the kids that let themselves be put under a microscope, second guessed, and criticized.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
I have too much respect for all the kids that let themselves be put under a microscope, second guessed, and criticized.

That was kinda my point, kid lead you to the promise land last year, if there's anyone in the league that has earned some rope, its him...

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Agreed!
Fabbri isn't really to blame here, I lay it all at the feet of the St Louis Blues management team! If they misled him about being called up for the playoffs they are sending him the wrong message!

Good post Ward. I think the Storm fans would like to see more from Fabbri. He usually steps up to a challenge. Maybe he is looking down the road to the Blues. Happened before many times.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Here was no hostility intended if you see it, it's in your mind. No I don't think he is playing the way he did last year, but there are many many factors. High ankle sprains are worse than breaks, supporting cast around him isn't the same. To name a couple. Was he a dominant player in last years run YES, is he this year no. Are some people expecting too much, maybe. I respect what he has done for us in the past, and would be tickled pink if he'd been able to repeat this year, but this year isn't last year. Nor are the 2015 hounds the same as any of the teams we played last year. All I'm saying is ease up on the kid. I have too much respect for all the kids that let themselves be put under a microscope, second guessed, and criticized.

I have lots of respect for them too.

I think people are going easy on him for the most part.

I don't think we're asking for a playoff MVP. Somewhere in between there and where he has been over the first 8 games would be nice, though.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
2015 draft

During last nights game, we were discussing the game, Saturdays draft, and the possibility that watching SSM's physical control of the series might have had an influence on who our top 5 picks would be.

1 Isaac Ratcliffe 6.04.5 183 LW
2 Liam Stevens 5.07.5 181 LW (small but apparently hits like a truck)
3 Nick Deakin-Poot 6.04.25 201 C
3 Nate Schnarr 6.02.75 166 C
5 Quinn Hanna 6.02 179 RD

Anyone else think we drafted big for a purpose, or were they just the best player available at that spot?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

The other thing I notice is sometimes kids in that spot try n do too much, getting away from what made them effective n fan favs. It may at times come acrss as selfish but I'd competitively driven. Just not always effective.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what is going on in Robby's mind. Does he think he's to good for the OHL? Is it a competitiveness thing? Are the Blues on his mind? We have no way of knowing, all we do is judge performance on the ice. This seasons performance has not come close to matching the previous years.

Last year Robby played every shift like it was his last (so cliche, but so true) and had the look of a future Storm captain. Most importantly, he made those around him better.

This season, it has been a complete attitude change. Since the beginning of the season you could tell. I don't think anybody was complaining in the first half because he was scoring points.

His thinking he can take on 5 defenders on his own is getting tiring. He has also taken a ton of silly penalties since his return. I do not think it's any coincidence that Bertuzzi was playing much better in the second half of last nights game after being put back with Jason Dickinson.

Now as for this current series:

I think every Storm fan assumed we would lose. I know I sure did, I just thought a bit more of a fight would be put forth to at least make the Soo have to battle for a few wins.

Robby seems to be the #1 criticized player out there, but the effort from a few other older players also leaves much to be desired. Luke Cairns looks like he just wants the season to be done so he can go do whatever he does. Chris Marchese has been largely invisible apart from his two-goal PK. Tyler Hill, who's size and physicality is much needed, has just been so damn inconsistent.

Dickinson and Suter seem to be getting chances, just no finish at this point. You can tell they are noticeably frustrated.

The defenceman are doing what they can, having 3 rookies + an inexperienced McFadden go up against the size/speed/skill combo of the Hounds was never going to end well.

Another factor is goaltending. There have been quite a few soft goals on both Nichols and Van Schubert that i'm sure they would love to have back. Not sure if it's the injury or a mental thing with Nichols, but he does not look like the same goalie from the OS series.

Also, our PK has been terrible. Yea, the Soo powerplay is deadly, but connecting on more then 50%? Come on now.

Like others have mentioned though, it's a good learning experience for the kids, and they will only get better because of this. The 98' class is going to be a good one, even Hotchkiss is showing A LOT more effort then he did in the regular season (although that wasn't saying much).

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Go Storm Go. Robby I know you can and the Guys can give all you got tonight. Let's do it. Go Storm Go. Come on fans it might be the last time you see your team tonight. Let's buy those tickets. Go Storm Go. I

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
I am really hoping that Suters somewhat average 2015 Playoff performance doesn't affect how high he gets drafted in the upcoming NHL draft in June

My take on Suter next year; 2 options

1) If he gets drafted fairly high (round 2-4) he is told by NHL club that drafted him, to stay in the OHL. He comes back to Guelph, plays a big role for Storm/WJC for Swiss and/or traded by Storm to a contender at deadline.

2) If he gets drafted later, as a flyer pick (5-7) he goes home and plays in Swiss Pro league.

I am not complaining about his performance in playoffs. I want him to do well, GET DRAFTED HIGH, and come back to Storm next year so we have him as a player and as an asset.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what is going on in Robby's mind. Does he think he's to good for the OHL? Is it a competitiveness thing? Are the Blues on his mind? We have no way of knowing, all we do is judge performance on the ice. This seasons performance has not come close to matching the previous years.

Last year Robby played every shift like it was his last (so cliche, but so true) and had the look of a future Storm captain. Most importantly, he made those around him better.

This season, it has been a complete attitude change. Since the beginning of the season you could tell. I don't think anybody was complaining in the first half because he was scoring points.

His thinking he can take on 5 defenders on his own is getting tiring. He has also taken a ton of silly penalties since his return. I do not think it's any coincidence that Bertuzzi was playing much better in the second half of last nights game after being put back with Jason Dickinson.

Now as for this current series:

I think every Storm fan assumed we would lose. I know I sure did, I just thought a bit more of a fight would be put forth to at least make the Soo have to battle for a few wins.

Robby seems to be the #1 criticized player out there, but the effort from a few other older players also leaves much to be desired. Luke Cairns looks like he just wants the season to be done so he can go do whatever he does. Chris Marchese has been largely invisible apart from his two-goal PK. Tyler Hill, who's size and physicality is much needed, has just been so damn inconsistent.

Dickinson and Suter seem to be getting chances, just no finish at this point. You can tell they are noticeably frustrated.

The defenceman are doing what they can, having 3 rookies + an inexperienced McFadden go up against the size/speed/skill combo of the Hounds was never going to end well.

Another factor is goaltending. There have been quite a few soft goals on both Nichols and Van Schubert that i'm sure they would love to have back. Not sure if it's the injury or a mental thing with Nichols, but he does not look like the same goalie from the OS series.

Also, our PK has been terrible. Yea, the Soo powerplay is deadly, but connecting on more then 50%? Come on now.

Like others have mentioned though, it's a good learning experience for the kids, and they will only get better because of this. The 98' class is going to be a good one, even Hotchkiss is showing A LOT more effort then he did in the regular season (although that wasn't saying much).

Ya know, we might not see eye to eye on a lot of things, but it's like you read my mind with the above post.

Spot on, as far as I am concerned. I think it was critical but fair, and I think as paying fans, we are entitled to that.

I was also reminded that Fabbri was sent to the dressing room by the coach earlier in the season as well, so it's not like this is an isolated incident. (For those coming on to call us out for criticizing last years playoff MVP for his play this year)

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I am really hoping that Suters somewhat average 2015 Playoff performance doesn't affect how high he gets drafted in the upcoming NHL draft in June

My take on Suter next year; 2 options

1) If he gets drafted fairly high (round 2-4) he is told by NHL club that drafted him, to stay in the OHL. He comes back to Guelph, plays a big role for Storm/WJC for Swiss and/or traded by Storm to a contender at deadline.

2) If he gets drafted later, as a flyer pick (5-7) he goes home and plays in Swiss Pro league.

I am not complaining about his performance in playoffs. I want him to do well, GET DRAFTED HIGH, and come back to Storm next year so we have him as a player and as an asset.

I think he'll end up being selected right in the middle of the two options (RD 4-6) so it could go either way.

As a fan, I hope he's back, but I also hope for the best in terms of his hockey future. I hope he's pleased, however it shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad