Guelph Storm 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
1st Storm related post in the new thread!!! :yo:

Big test tonight for the Stormies....a big, tough team from the North looking to continue it's offensive barrage on home turf while the Storm try to shake some bus legs and had the Soo a rare home loss.

My crystal ball isn't helping me much here. I could see a low scoring, tight game if Nichols is on tonight....then again, I could also see a barn burner if the Soo is firing on all cylinders and their goaltending remains shaky. If there is one thing the Storm are good at, it's burying their chances - not good news for Halverson who seems to be struggling a little bit these days.

Will miss having Chadd in the lineup for his abilities to keep the other team in check, but hopefully the new guys will help out tonight in that regard.

Should be a fun game...wish it was in Guelph though!

louis

Apr 3, 2014
1st Storm related post in the new thread!!! :yo:

Big test tonight for the Stormies....a big, tough team from the North looking to continue it's offensive barrage on home turf while the Storm try to shake some bus legs and had the Soo a rare home loss.

My crystal ball isn't helping me much here. I could see a low scoring, tight game if Nichols is on tonight....then again, I could also see a barn burner if the Soo is firing on all cylinders and their goaltending remains shaky. If there is one thing the Storm are good at, it's burying their chances - not good news for Halverson who seems to be struggling a little bit these days.

Will miss having Chadd in the lineup for his abilities to keep the other team in check, but hopefully the new guys will help out tonight in that regard.

Should be a fun game...wish it was in Guelph though!
'

Your wish will come true next Sunday! A fan bus from the Soo will be in attendance. Please be nice to them.

Storm99

Oct 8, 2014
only 18 players tonight including 2 goalies. Fabbri, Hall & Marchese all out with injuries, Cairns illness & Baltisbergers Grandmother passed away. we'l be going with 11 forwards 5 D

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
only 18 players tonight including 2 goalies. Fabbri, Hall & Marchese all out with injuries, Cairns illness & Baltisbergers Grandmother passed away. we'l be going with 11 forwards 5 D

The outlook in my crystal ball is suddenly becoming more clear!

As for the Soo fan bus next weekend - no worries on that one. Guelph is a great environment for supporters of other teams...we are a very nice bunch.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
The outlook in my crystal ball is suddenly becoming more clear!.

Welcome to development night.

Bertuzzi/Dickinson/Suter
Hotchkiss/Boston/Burghardt
Hill/McEwan/Smith
/Foss/Stevens

Instead of riding and exhausting the top line, knowing they're also the PP unit... give the other guys the ice time regardless of the outcome, let them play and learn.

Glad to have Carroll back.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Welcome to development night.

Bertuzzi/Dickinson/Suter
Hotchkiss/Boston/Burghardt
Hill/McEwan/Smith
/Foss/Stevens

Instead of riding and exhausting the top line, knowing they're also the PP unit... give the other guys the ice time regardless of the outcome, let them play and learn.

Glad to have Carroll back.

I'd like to believe the kids will see an increase in ice (and I guess they may have to out of necessity) but I'll believe it when I see it.

My guess....Burghardt especially sees 1 shift per period....tough to develop him when you don't even give him a chance to play. It's why I wanted to see a little more commitment to a direction at the deadline...IMO it would have led to the young guys being benched in favour of giving the team the best chance to win every night, or it would have forced the coaching staff into playing to kids to see what they're capable of. As it stands, we'll have quite a few guys in much bigger roles next year having little to no idea if they are capable of handling it.

Still lots of season left though, so I could be eating my words. I've been quite impressed with McEwen/Smith and even Hotchkiss, and would love to see what the three of them along with Burghardt and Stevens can do with a little more ice.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I'd like to believe the kids will see an increase in ice (and I guess they may have to out of necessity) but I'll believe it when I see it.

My guess....Burghardt especially sees 1 shift per period....tough to develop him when you don't even give him a chance to play. It's why I wanted to see a little more commitment to a direction at the deadline...IMO it would have led to the young guys being benched in favour of giving the team the best chance to win every night, or it would have forced the coaching staff into playing to kids to see what they're capable of. As it stands, we'll have quite a few guys in much bigger roles next year having little to no idea if they are capable of handling it.

Still lots of season left though, so I could be eating my words. I've been quite impressed with McEwen/Smith and even Hotchkiss, and would love to see what the three of them along with Burghardt and Stevens can do with a little more ice.

Exactly why I'd like to see him on the second line with Boston and Hotchkiss, see if they can get something going that could benefit the future. I agree though, we'll have to wait and see.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Larry says Sicoly is unavailable tonight but may be in the lineup tomorrow.

Lines according to Larry:

Bert-Dickinson-Suter
Hill-Hotchkiss-Smith
Foss-Boston-Burghardt
McEwan-Stevens

McFadden-Garcia
Carroll-Leslie
Rhodes

Van Schubert in goal. (Nichols may still be having issues with that "lower body injury")

Storm99

Oct 8, 2014
Tough loss. The Boys played hard, BVS played great!! We got to learn to stay out of the box. I feel with a full line up we can compete with them!!

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Hound fan here. Was at the game last night. Guelph played a terrific road game. VanSchubert was on his game. Hounds outshot the Storm every period and had plenty of scoring chances each period. He definately kept the Storm in this game. I cant believe some of the saves he made.

The Smith / Gettinger fight was good for both of them. No clear winner in my opinion. Good to see the two young guys try and spark their own team.

A penalty to the Storm near the end of the game probably was the turning point. Seems like the players thought it was questionable. More so from Bertuzzi and Suter. Nonetheless, Guelph deserved a point last night with the opportunity to steal 2 in overtime. Kudos to Guelph for playing that good, especially short handed and without Nichols, Harpur and Fabbri. Good luck the rest of the season.

Have to say this. There was a player on your team, Hill, who was so good to the Soo fans during the pregame warmups. He was acknowledging fans and looked like he was having alot of fun. There was 1 moment that a little girl (maybe 2 yrs old) was in the arms of possibly her father at the glass watching the Storm warm up. Hill kept coming back into the right corner and knocking his stick against the glass for her, waving at her and making her smile. Almost like that funny Uncle some people have. I truly became a fan of Hill. For better measure, I do not know that little girl but I'm thinking she was cheering for the Storm last night.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
This team continues to impress me. I know we lost, but considering the number of guys missing + the opponent, that was a heck of an effort. Before the game I was predicting a blow-out loss. :laugh:

BVS continues to play well, he looks so much more confident now then he did at the beginning of the year. In his last 4 games he is spotting a sv% of .933. Two of those starts coming against two of the top OHL teams (Oshawa and SSM).

The defense has really lost nothing going from Harpur to Garcia. Garcia is just playing such a steady/reliable game, with tons of ice time too. Very impressive.

Smith is still that spark plug every shift, kind of reminds me of the way Bert played in his 16 year old season a few years back. That energy seems to rub off on guys as well because I thought Hotchkiss has been playing with some jump since being added to that line.

I obviously still doubt being able to hang with the OHL elite over a 7-game series, but the way Stewart/Harvey has the boys playing even with many missing pieces, we would be a tough out for anyone.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
I was at the game last night as well. The Storm gave the Hounds all they could handle and more. Having said that, a few of our players were not inclined to work as hard as they needed to in our own zone.

I'll pass on a comment from fan sitting near us during the third period: "Has Leslie been off the ice at all?? " .....it was legitimate question!! I don't know where I would find minutes played per period but he sure seemed to be out there all the time!

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I'll pass on a comment from fan sitting near us during the third period: "Has Leslie been off the ice at all?? " .....it was legitimate question!! I don't know where I would find minutes played per period but he sure seemed to be out there all the time!

It's a blessing and a curse that he's out there so often. He's by far our best offensive defenceman and can play pretty well positionally in his own zone. His problem is his decision making at times. He definitely leads our team in turnovers.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
For anybody who has complained in this thread (well part 1 of it) about Scott Walker leaving the team in the middle of the season should read Tony Saxon's article on the issue...
http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports-story/5261950-walker-s-situation-to-be-envied-not-criticized/

Anyway going into last night I was figuring with A: how good the Hounds are and B: how short the Storm are that it could have been a VERY ugly night but kudos to Guelph for not only keeping it close but having a chance to win the game. Even the period where they were badly outplayed they were only down 2-1.

To me its always seemed that when teams are very short staffed that the players in the lineup work extra harder to pick up the slack and in the end impress many people, that seems to be the case here. While the Storm are 0-3 vs the Soo this year they have had what I would call 2 impressive losses to them, obviously 0 points is 0 points but when your quasi rebuilding its great to see your young team push the elite of the OHL so close to the brink and nearly steal wins and points.

Apparently Van Schubert will start again tonight in Saginaw, now I am not against him starting and he has totally earned these starts but Saxon mentioned last night that Nichols left warm up early and didnt appear to be 100 percent. While I am sure we will see BVS more down the stretch than we have had all season you gotta think at least one of these starts is because Nichols is hurting which is something I've been afraid of when he's been getting run ragged all season.

But regardless I am confident in BVS and as I said while Nichols may be hurt he has totally earned these 3 starts in a row.

Sounds like Hall may be back next weekend, and while under the circumstances I wouldnt want to rush Phil but you got to imagine Baltisberger wont be out too long so hopefully by next week the team can ice 6 D again.
While the Storm are getting slammed with injuries one thing that I take solace in is that at least this wasn't happening last season when lets be honest it mattered A LOT more. Not saying this season doesnt matter by any stretch but the stakes this season are obviously slightly lower for the Storm in the grand scheme of things barring a big upset in the playoffs.
Really sucks to see Cairns down with mono thats one of those gone for 4-6 weeks kinda things and he had been playing so well since coming from Saginaw.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
For anybody who has complained in this thread (well part 1 of it) about Scott Walker leaving the team in the middle of the season should read Tony Saxon's article on the issue...
http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports-story/5261950-walker-s-situation-to-be-envied-not-criticized/

Anyway going into last night I was figuring with A: how good the Hounds are and B: how short the Storm are that it could have been a VERY ugly night but kudos to Guelph for not only keeping it close but having a chance to win the game. Even the period where they were badly outplayed they were only down 2-1.

To me its always seemed that when teams are very short staffed that the players in the lineup work extra harder to pick up the slack and in the end impress many people, that seems to be the case here. While the Storm are 0-3 vs the Soo this year they have had what I would call 2 impressive losses to them, obviously 0 points is 0 points but when your quasi rebuilding its great to see your young team push the elite of the OHL so close to the brink and nearly steal wins and points.

Apparently Van Schubert will start again tonight in Saginaw, now I am not against him starting and he has totally earned these starts but Saxon mentioned last night that Nichols left warm up early and didnt appear to be 100 percent. While I am sure we will see BVS more down the stretch than we have had all season you gotta think at least one of these starts is because Nichols is hurting which is something I've been afraid of when he's been getting run ragged all season.

But regardless I am confident in BVS and as I said while Nichols may be hurt he has totally earned these 3 starts in a row.

Sounds like Hall may be back next weekend, and while under the circumstances I wouldnt want to rush Phil but you got to imagine Baltisberger wont be out too long so hopefully by next week the team can ice 6 D again.
While the Storm are getting slammed with injuries one thing that I take solace in is that at least this wasn't happening last season when lets be honest it mattered A LOT more. Not saying this season doesnt matter by any stretch but the stakes this season are obviously slightly lower for the Storm in the grand scheme of things barring a big upset in the playoffs.
Really sucks to see Cairns down with mono thats one of those gone for 4-6 weeks kinda things and he had been playing so well since coming from Saginaw.
4 to 6 weeks. I heard if you detect it at its earliest form you could come back much sooner. If that is correct then let's hope.

Storm99

Oct 8, 2014
Great comeback for the boys!! A horrible first 10 minutes but we battled hard to get the win!! few thoughts.

1) McEwan is getting better every game! very excited to see what he can do next year with a bigger role

2) Stevans is a work horse. great bottom 6 guy

3) Another great effort by the top line of Bert/Dickinson/Suter

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Wow great character win for the boys. Nice to see BVS rebound playing shutout hockey for the final 50 minutes. How about Tyler Boston with 2 goals and an assist!
Bertuzzi continues to be a horse, he has 11 points in his last 6 games now and continues to lead the team in scoring he cracked 60 points tonight.

Storm99

Oct 8, 2014
Storm Lines:
Bertuzzi-Dickinson-Boston
McEwan-Suter-Foss
Hill-Hotchkiss-Smith
Burghardt-Stevens

Storm D:
McFadden-Garcia
Carroll-Leslie
Long-Rhodes
Bradley Van Schubert in goal

Justen Long makes his OHL debut. Storms 8th round pick in 2013. he will wear #7

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Storm Lines:
Bertuzzi-Dickinson-Boston
McEwan-Suter-Foss
Hill-Hotchkiss-Smith
Burghardt-Stevens

Storm D:
McFadden-Garcia
Carroll-Leslie
Long-Rhodes
Bradley Van Schubert in goal

Justen Long makes his OHL debut. Storms 8th round pick in 2013. he will wear #7

That's awesome for Justen! Didn't play much but still a major accomplishment for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna