Guelph Storm 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan3930

Mar 22, 2015
If Guelph can keep Soo to 5 goals scored I will be impressed... Hoping for a better outcome for them tonight

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
This series is over. Guelph showed the fight of an old neutered dog and the grit of a wet paper bag. Guelph Storm? More like Guelph Light Breeze. Fabbri benched for the second half of the game, he's clearly checked out and outside of moderately paced backchecking he's not doing anything. Nichols is obviously hurt. He still made some great saves that he had no business saving. If Guelph got an automatic goal for every scoring chance they had they still would have lost. SSM showed a lot of class to not have this game go well into double digits, it looked like they were in the middle of a relaxing practice.

Last year I couldn't understand why London fans weren't interested in the memorial cup, I think I understand now. For the first time as a fan I just want this season to end.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
This series is over. Guelph showed the fight of an old neutered dog and the grit of a wet paper bag. Guelph Storm? More like Guelph Light Breeze. Fabbri benched for the second half of the game, he's clearly checked out and outside of moderately paced backchecking he's not doing anything. Nichols is obviously hurt. He still made some great saves that he had no business saving. If Guelph got an automatic goal for every scoring chance they had they still would have lost. SSM showed a lot of class to not have this game go well into double digits, it looked like they were in the middle of a relaxing practice.

Last year I couldn't understand why London fans weren't interested in the memorial cup, I think I understand now. For the first time as a fan I just want this season to end.

I was just happy to see the coaches finally get fed up with Fabbri and bench him. He didn't see the ice for the whole second half of the game.

Also, what a game by Burghardt. He actually made something happen almost every shift and showed some real grit for a smaller player.

Also credit to Van Schubert for not allowing a goal. I'd actually wouldn't mind seeing him start game 4.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
@SaxonOnTheStorm: Fabbri on being benched: "I guess we don't see eye to eye. We haven't seen eye to eye for a while and I guess this is what it came down to."

@SaxonOnTheStorm: Stewart on the benching: "Sometimes you do thing for the betterment of the player. It's only about performance, it's nothing personal."

@SaxonOnTheStorm: Stewart: "This is only for the betterment of Robby Fabbri ... he's going to be a great player in this league and further down the road."

@SaxonOnTheStorm: Stewart: "The kid's a great player. He's going to be a fantastic National Hockey League player. This is just a learning curve."

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
@SaxonOnTheStorm: Fabbri on being benched: "I guess we don't see eye to eye. We haven't seen eye to eye for a while and I guess this is what it came down to."

@SaxonOnTheStorm: Stewart on the benching: "Sometimes you do thing for the betterment of the player. It's only about performance, it's nothing personal."

@SaxonOnTheStorm: Stewart: "This is only for the betterment of Robby Fabbri ... he's going to be a great player in this league and further down the road."

@SaxonOnTheStorm: Stewart: "The kid's a great player. He's going to be a fantastic National Hockey League player. This is just a learning curve."

I wonder who else doesn't see eye to eye with Stewart. There's a lot of questions that I hope Tony will be able to answer once the series is over. I have a feeling there's more than just Nichols playing injured and now I have a feeling that some posters were right and Stewart has very little control in the room.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
From watching highlights of your series, it seems like every goal the Soo score is a PP, bad effort by defense or bad effort by Nicols. As Erie looks to the Soo for round 3 I'm just curious how they have played against your team this far. From highlights it looks like Guelph quitting and not being physical and Soo just dominating on the PP. I for one have seen the Soo play a few times since the deadline and have watched numerous highlights, although they are a great team (probably the best in the league) I don't see them as dominate as Guelph was last year. I believe Guelph last year was more physical, skilled, had more depth and Nichols is better than Halverson.

From Guelph fans who have been watching this series what is your perspective as Erie gets ready for the Soo in round 3

GEO II

Oct 27, 2006
If ssm keeps taking stupid penalties, Nurse & Ritchie, I'd say you have a chance. If not you will have an up hill battle each and every game. The hounds don't have a weak link, speed, size, experience and great PP and PK, the goaltending might be their only soft spot, but that isn't a real concern when you can score like they do. I wish you luck, you are going to need it.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus

And here endeth the lesson......the last sentence kinda says it all, eh? Tremendously disappointing on a few levels, but it explains many observations....

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
It's a pretty disappointing way to watch this team go down.

It seemed any fight this team had left in it went out the window when McCann scored 2 minutes into the game. From there on out the team for the most part was dead and you could hear a pin drop in the rink as well. I know Guelph isnt exactly the loudest building around but tonight was easily the quietest I've heard the rink since I came over from Brampton.

There are a couple players out there still making a good effort as I will echo the comments from above that Luke Burghardt had a very good game. Jason Dickinson is also trying to make things happen out there too.

Its obvious Nichols isnt 100% and I agree I wouldn't even argue against starting Van Schubert on Tuesday, why hurt Nichols even more?

As for Fabbri, its really disappointing for me personally. Fabbri in the past has been such an exciting player to watch. When I first came over from Brampton at the start of the 13/14 season I had two Storm jerseys, both were of players who also played in Brampton (Pereira and McCollum) so as the first half of the season wore on I kept thinking of what Storm only guy to get on a jersey, I had gone back and forth between McGinn and Fabbri before Fabbri's unbelievable 3 goal last second game tying/ot winner against the Soo before Christmas put him over the top. I sang his praises to any of my friends who are into hockey but don't know much about the O and prospects coming up. I don't want to totally criticize because he may not be 100% but if he isn't 100% why is St.Louis going to risk playing him in their playoffs?
I hope if this is the last we see of Fabbri in Guelph that the way its ended doesnt tarnish what he has accomplished here. He is still the guy who won playoff MVP with 28pts in 16 games last year. He was still a key part and deserving member of Team Canada's Gold medal at the WJC when he got hurt.
Personally I won't be shocked if he sticks in the NHL next fall or gets sent back but its obvious if he continues to play in St.Louis like he has here since March 1st then we will see him back here this fall.

While Guelph isn't exactly playing good right now a lot of it I really think has to do with how much better the Greyhounds are. They are playing on a totally different level right now. It would be amazing to see what this years Hounds would do in a series with last years Storm.

Tons of Hounds fans were at game 3 but I have to say I was underwhelmed at the amount of noise they made. Sure they cheered for the Soo goals but that was about it. For the amount of red and white in the building it was a pretty tame sound. So a word of advice Hounds fans, in the next round if you go to Erie you guys really gotta step up your game on the noise because it will be like you're not even in the EIA with that crowd down there. Same goes for wherever you guys have to hit the road in the finals.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
I find Fabbri's comments very interesting, but for me they don't tell the whole story.
Based on Robbys comments, it has to be an off ice issue (or internal dressing room issue) at play here. There is virtually, NO WAY he could be complaining about any hockey related disagreement between himself and Bill Stewart.

How can they not "see eye to eye"..and be talking about hockey??. Fabbri , has been played in EVERY situation imaginable. EVERY single post season powerplay, and for EVERY post season PK, Stewart has used Fabbri. When you also realizes that Fabbri has complete discretion when it comes to his own shift length, when to come on, when to come off etc it is pretty clear we aren't talking about hockey here.

For me this is a off ice, attitude, and a leadership (lack of) message being sent to Robby. I am sure it hurts, but i have to agree with Stewarts comments and that it will be better for Robby in the long run. I also think it is a great message for the young players to see being sent here.

I have been tough on Bertuzzi, but he battled last night as did Dickie. I agree Burghurt , Boston and a few of the young defense tried to get something going last night, but they are just outmatched again this Soo team

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
I find Fabbri's comments very interesting, but for me they don't tell the whole story.
Based on Robbys comments, it has to be an off ice issue (or internal dressing room issue) at play here. There is virtually, NO WAY he could be complaining about any hockey related disagreement between himself and Bill Stewart.

How can they not "see eye to eye"..and be talking about hockey??. Fabbri , has been played in EVERY situation imaginable. EVERY single post season powerplay, and for EVERY post season PK, Stewart has used Fabbri. When you also realizes that Fabbri has complete discretion when it comes to his own shift length, when to come on, when to come off etc it is pretty clear we aren't talking about hockey here.

For me this is a off ice, attitude, and a leadership (lack of) message being sent to Robby. I am sure it hurts, but i have to agree with Stewarts comments and that it will be better for Robby in the long run. I also think it is a great message for the young players to see being sent here.

I have been tough on Bertuzzi, but he battled last night as did Dickie. I agree Burghurt , Boston and a few of the young defense tried to get something going last night, but they are just outmatched again this Soo team
a leadership (lack of) message being sent to Robby You say Bertuzzi,Diickie battled hard and it is not Stewart, then who is it that is not sending the message .

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
a leadership (lack of) message being sent to Robby You say Bertuzzi,Diickie battled hard and it is not Stewart, then who is it that is not sending the message .
You answered your own question, the other guys are battling hard, Fabbri is not. He got benched. Look at how everyone played their hearts out for Stewart while players were injured and away at Jr's. I think an ego has grown to the point it is messing with the chemistry of the team. Stewart is not the problem.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Regular Season Records
2013/2014 Guelph Storm - 52-12-2-2 108 PTS
Home - 29-4-0-1
Away - 23-8-2-1
Overall PP% - 27.1% 2nd Best
Overall PK% - 81.9% 6th Best
2014/2015 SSM Greyhounds - 54-12-0-2 110 PTS
Home - 31-2-0-1
Away - 23-10-0-1
Overall PP% - 25.1% 3rd Best
Overall PK% - 79.6% 9th Best

Regular Season Goals
2013/2014 Guelph Storm - 340 GF / 191 GA
2014/2015 SSM Greyhounds - 342 GF / 196 GA

Regular Season Player Stats
2013/2014 Guelph Storm
Top Goalie
Justin Nichols (2.85 GAA, 0.918 SV%, 35-7-1-0, 4 SOs)

Top 5 Forwards
Scott Kosmachuk (49G 52A 101PTS)
Kerby Rychel (34G 56A 90PTS)
Robby Fabbri (45G 42A 87PTS)
Brock McGinn (43G 42A 85PTS)
Zack Mitchell (31G 52A 83PTS)

Top 5 Defensemen
Matt Finn (14G 47A 61PTS)
Nick Ebert (13G 41A 54PTS)
Zac Leslie (14G 36 50PTS)
Steven Trojanovic (7G 33A 40PTS)
Ben Harpur (3G 13A 16PTS)

*Six 20-goal scorers; Five 30-goal scorers*

2014/2015 SSM Greyhounds
Top Goalie
Brandon Halverson (2.63 GAA, 0.913 SV%, 40-5-0-2, 6 SOs)

Top 5 Forwards
Sergey Tolchinsky (30G 65A 95PTS)
Jared McCann (34G 47A 81PTS)
Michael Bunting (37G 37A 74PTS)
Justin Bailey (34G 35A 69PTS)
Blake Speers (24G 43A 67PTS)

Top 5 Defensemen
Anthony DeAngelo (25G 64A 89PTS)
Gustav Bouramman (5G 39A 44PTS)
Darnell Nurse (10G 23A 33PTS)
Colton White (6G 16A 22PTS)
Connor Boland (4G 18A 22PTS)

*Ten 20-goal scorers; Four 30-goal scorers*

The most noticeable comment that has been made during the Guelph/SSM series is the way this year's Hounds team resembles that of Guelph's last year when they made their Memorial Cup run, hence why I have put together the list above outlining regular season stats of both clubs.

Upon looking at the numbers, I can see where the comments come from in the sense that both teams had very similar records, similar goal output and similar goal prevention stats. Both teams had balanced scoring; the Sault had more forwards producing offensively, while Guelph had more defensemen producing offensively. Halverson and Nichols shared similar stats, though the edge goes to Halverson this year.

Please feel free to chime in on this :)

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
I wonder who else doesn't see eye to eye with Stewart. There's a lot of questions that I hope Tony will be able to answer once the series is over. I have a feeling there's more than just Nichols playing injured and now I have a feeling that some posters were right and Stewart has very little control in the room.

I don't have any 'inside knowledge' of what is going on in Guelph so this is speculation;

Bill Stewart is for lack of a better word, an 'old time coach'. The issue is that tactics that used to work, don't work now. This isn't just in hockey or sports but society in general.

I know several players very well that played for Bill Stewart - if he hasn't changed his tactics, what is happening makes complete sense.

One only needs to look around the league at the current successful coaches - most younger with new ideas.

There was an interesting discussion on Mike and Mike from ESPN that was discussing that coaching has never been more important in all sports then it is now. No longer is there huge talent gaps that there once was between teams and therefore coaches are the difference.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
You answered your own question, the other guys are battling hard, Fabbri is not. He got benched. Look at how everyone played their hearts out for Stewart while players were injured and away at Jr's. I think an ego has grown to the point it is messing with the chemistry of the team. Stewart is not the problem.

While players were injured and at WJC's, Walker hadn't stepped down yet. And yes, younger kids will see the opportunity and work hard to earn their spot. There's more going on here than meets the eye, and hopefully we will find out following this series/season. Changes are coming.

I do think Robby will be back next year, why rush him? And to clarify, he will be joining St. Louis as a black ace, he won't see any ice time or likely even be on the bench - will skate and work out with the team this year.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
First, congrats to the Soo and their fans. This series was over before it started, but I was too blind to see.

The Soo is a far better team that I had given them credit for, and the Storm checked out like no team I've ever witnessed before. Sad way to end the season. I can only hope these guys can pull together to steal one so I don't have to watch the celebration/handshakes in person. Who am I kidding, what I mean is, I hope the Hounds LET the Storm win a game so that they can celebrate their inevitable win at home in front of their fans. I think one of the best (and most underrated) things from last years run is that all of the series were won on home ice. Hope the Soo fans can experience some of the same.

Echoing some kudos from other posters for Dickinson, Smith, Burghardt, Stevens, Bertuzzi. They didn't give up and were trying to make something happen most of the night.

Storm just were totally over matched. In every aspect. The icing on the cake was a lack of effort from Fabbri and some poor goal tending (regardless of injury) - just added to to size of hill the team had to climb.

Anyway. Decent season. Had its bright spots and its dark times. A very mediocre season, all around. Winning a round was a bonus, and all this is just gravy. Only disappointing thing is the way they are bowing out - not a lot to be proud of this series.

Onward and upward. Here's to looking forward to next season, and hoping that it will be the groundwork for another run in a couple of years.

And hey, if Fabbri is back in the OHL next year, I bet he'd return quite a ransom in trade!

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Chemistry. you nailed it.

Fabbris ego/attitude are seriously eroding the chemistry of the team.

I honestly feel for the kid, because i think he has real high expectations of himself. and coupled with the disapointment of being sent back from St Louis at the beginning of the year and then his injury, i think it has worn on him. but at 18 years old we tend not to cope or deal with things as maturely as we do later on in life. I think it will be a definite lesson in maturing that will help him in the future. But a shame it has played out the way it has. I do believe most of our vets hearts are in the right place and are doing the best they can, and working hard. One bent spoke in the wheel can throw the rest off...

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I don't have any 'inside knowledge' of what is going on in Guelph so this is speculation;

Bill Stewart is for lack of a better word, an 'old time coach'. The issue is that tactics that used to work, don't work now. This isn't just in hockey or sports but society in general.

I know several players very well that played for Bill Stewart - if he hasn't changed his tactics, what is happening makes complete sense.

One only needs to look around the league at the current successful coaches - most younger with new ideas.

There was an interesting discussion on Mike and Mike from ESPN that was discussing that coaching has never been more important in all sports then it is now. No longer is there huge talent gaps that there once was between teams and therefore coaches are the difference.

Bingo, and in the era of Google, players can easily see read up on the incidents in Stewart's history and lose respect.

Moving on, Burghardt is a great young player, great pick for the 6th round eh Chico? It'd be nice to see he, Hotchkiss, and Boston develop some chemistry over a couple of seasons. Smith is also fun to watch and will be a big piece moving forward.

I agree RCS, trade Fabbri at the deadline for a 98 or 99 first rounder and we'll have ourselves a future contender.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
While players were injured and at WJC's, Walker hadn't stepped down yet. And yes, younger kids will see the opportunity and work hard to earn their spot. There's more going on here than meets the eye, and hopefully we will find out following this series/season. Changes are coming.

I do think Robby will be back next year, why rush him? And to clarify, he will be joining St. Louis as a black ace, he won't see any ice time or likely even be on the bench - will skate and work out with the team this year.

As of the world Jr.'s Walker had not stepped down but at that point had missed i believe 13 of the prior 15 games as he was banished from the room with the Mumps. So Bill Stewart and Todd Harvey had taken over control of the bench for a while. in that time i believe the team while short handed with Injuries under Stewart went 10 for 13. Bill Stewart was brought in to groom and teach Scott Walker how to coach, so much of the message all along was coming from him anyways. I understand full well that he has a history, and if you look back at my posts you will see first hand that i have said he is an amazing coach, but probably needs a babysitter of sorts to keep him out of trouble. I think he has that in Mike Kelly, who i think no one will doubt is one of the most respected hockey people in the CHL. I think if it is not working Mike Kelly also is smart enough to see that and make a change if necessary. Which i have not seen evidence of that. I could be wrong and things get changed at the end of the season, but i suspect if Stewart is back next season i know the answer and trust where that judgement is coming from.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Changing the topic here for a moment, now that i have had a little time to delve into our draft picks a little more, gotta say i am pretty excited about what seems to be a pretty strong Draft for Guelph. Having a 1st, 2nd and 2 3rds after no second last year really helps too. and i think all those picks were used pretty damn well. Addressed a lot of needs up front over the next few years. Obviously the fact we have a solid returning core of D helps with that.

StormLifer

Jan 7, 2013
Ariss, ON
Personally I'm just sitting back and enjoying the hockey we have. I'm not disappointed by this season, I don't think of it as mediocre. They finished better than expected, overcame a ridiculous amount of injuries, dealt with Walker leaving etc. We have a lot of rookies that look very promising for the future and Kelly made some great trades at the deadline. We even put out OS in 5 games when everyone had it going 6-7 and about 50% of people thought OS would win.

SSM is a powerhouse, just like we were last year. While I still think Oshawa will win the OHL, you can't deny their depth, speed and skill. I saw a lot of compete from the entire team last night through the whole game, slow start yes but they seemed to play harder and harder as the game went on. While I don't totally agree with benching Fabbri at all, these being his last two games of the season most likely, I bet if Fabbri had been on the ice for the 3rd he would have played hard too. I don't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes, but I wish only the best for these kids (remembering they are just that!). If Fabbri is sent back next year I will cheer for him just the same.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Personally I'm just sitting back and enjoying the hockey we have. I'm not disappointed by this season, I don't think of it as mediocre. They finished better than expected, overcame a ridiculous amount of injuries, dealt with Walker leaving etc. We have a lot of rookies that look very promising for the future and Kelly made some great trades at the deadline. We even put out OS in 5 games when everyone had it going 6-7 and about 50% of people thought OS would win.

SSM is a powerhouse, just like we were last year. While I still think Oshawa will win the OHL, you can't deny their depth, speed and skill. I saw a lot of compete from the entire team last night through the whole game, slow start yes but they seemed to play harder and harder as the game went on. While I don't totally agree with benching Fabbri at all, these being his last two games of the season most likely, I bet if Fabbri had been on the ice for the 3rd he would have played hard too. I don't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes, but I wish only the best for these kids (remembering they are just that!). If Fabbri is sent back next year I will cheer for him just the same.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think this season was pretty much the definition of mediocre. Finished 4th (by a point, 5th would have been the middle). Finished even in goals for and against. Finished with 38 W and 30 L....pretty close to .500. There were some great moments, and some down moments.

I think if you go back and look at what everyone was saying at trade deadline, you'd see after the moves the Storm made, most thought that the team would make the playoffs and were touch and go to win a round, depending on the matchup. Well, that's exactly what happened. They got out of this world goal tending vs OS and won a series that they were outplayed for the majority of.

Still, it is what it is. I'm not disappointed with the final result, just in the way it ended. Would love to say that they battled hard to the end and just came up short - I'm not sure we can say that.

Looking ahead though, the future could be bright. Value wise, it looks like the Storm grabbed a couple of players to be excited about in the coming years. Lose the off-ice coach/player drama and get back that never say die attitude, and regardless of how many games the team wins next year, this fan will be pleased.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Fabbri usually gives his all. Does anyone consider his injuries may have taken a toll this year? It takes months sometimes to get back you 100%. The Storm did well against a hard working Attack team. Sometimes these teams with a bunch of young players just run out of gas. One or two vets won't win a series against a team like the Soo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad