Confirmed with Link: Gudbranson re-signs for 2 years, $2.5m/year

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Yes, you can factually show it on paper (as well as visually watching Gudbranson play) that he's not been good. No, it's not an opinion. Yes, he got better last year. No, he's still not good.

He was terrible in his first two years. I would say last year he was just "bad". Overall though... tracing back to the original point of those posts... he probably should've been in the AHL for his first two seasons in the NHL. Because he is definitely terrible then.

I wouldn't even call him a disappointment yet. That's not a fair word to use. He's young, and he's a defender. That takes time. That still doesn't stop the fact that he's been flat out terrible for the majority of his NHL career, with small spots of light here or there.

Would love to see you quote somebody who has said that so far.

I could be wrong, but I thought Gudbranson couldn't play in the AHL his first season? It was either NHL or back to jrs.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I could be wrong, but I thought Gudbranson couldn't play in the AHL his first season? It was either NHL or back to jrs.

The CHL agreement does so much damage to top end talent that has nothing more to learn in juniors but is not yet ready for the NHL.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Was he drafted and played in the CHL prior to his being drafted by the Panthers? The rule would apply to him in that case.

I need to re-familiarize myself with it. I could be off.

Drafted by Kingston in 2008. He played with Kingston from 2008-2011. He made his NHL debut in the 2011-2012 season.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
How does calling him "terrible" and then saying you "wouldn't even call him a disappointment yet" make any sense at all? Who isn't disappointed in something terrible? This has got to be a joke.

Because I observe the common occurrence that defensemen take the longest to develop?

It makes sense if you're objective towards Gudbranson. Something you're clearly not, if you can't accept the fact that he's been really bad.

How can you make a conclusion on a 22 year old defender? He's got the physical tools and enough of a skill set to be worth something. That doesn't mean he hasn't been terrible thus far.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

I think he would've been eligible as a mid season call-up into the AHL once he turned 20, but I'm not sure of the exact rules.

But yes, that first year he was trapped between either being forced to stay in the juniors or starting in the NHL. He should've stayed in the juniors and gone to the AHL, and spent a whole year there before ever seeing the NHL. He clearly wasn't ready for the NHL at the time. It showed.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I think he would've been eligible as a mid season call-up into the AHL once he turned 20, but I'm not sure of the exact rules.

But yes, that first year he was trapped between either being forced to stay in the juniors or starting in the NHL. He should've stayed in the juniors and gone to the AHL, and spent a whole year there before ever seeing the NHL. He clearly wasn't ready for the NHL at the time. It showed.

Not arguing, but having him in jrs where he had nothing to learn for another year probably would have been even worse for his development. He wasn't being challenged.

I am a big fan of Guds, but I'm not gonna beat around the bush and say he's been great. I'm really hoping he takes a big step forward this season and at least become a good shut down guy.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Not arguing, but having him in jrs where he had nothing to learn for another year probably would have been even worse for his development. He wasn't being challenged.

I am a big fan of Guds, but I'm not gonna beat around the bush and say he's been great. I'm really hoping he takes a big step forward this season and at least become a good shut down guy.

It's not really a matter of development. Spending an extra half a season in juniors wont hinder his development. It's a matter of where you want to put a big frame up against other pro players. The AHL serves the same purpose, at a lesser talent level. That's absolutely where you want Gudbranson to be.

The problem with him playing in the NHL was you have to watch this guy go through a bunch of growing pains when it really didn't matter if he was doing that in the NHL or the AHL.

Erick*

Some people here seem to think that "player x has been bad" is synonymous with "player x is a bust and will never improve."

I had this problem with the Markstrom debates.

I don't see what the big deal is. Acknowledging that Gudbranson hasn't been good overall is a fact. I would say it's pretty easy to say just by watching the games, but then again, people see things differently. That's why stats exist and the stats do indeed say that he hasn't been good.

That doesn't mean he can't improve. That also doesn't mean we should be okay giving him 4-5 million (where did that rumor even come from anyway? No way we gave him that, right?) Then again, I guess it's all irrelevant since some people don't even care about how much some of these guys are paid. After all, it's "not our money." :shakehead

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
I think it's hilarious how we have a whole camp of people on here who were dying for Tallon to select Ekblad, yet they can't even be patient enough for defenseman to develop. What I think will happen if Ekblad is a - 25 this year and has 4 goals and 10 assists? These same fans who've given up on Kulikov and Gudbranson who were clamoring for Ekblad are gonna throw him under the bus.

Which is why you should let some other sucker team draft your defensemen for you. Always pick the forward. I don't understand all these stupid defensive prospect picks that take 20 years to develop if ever.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Funny thread, colorful adjectives.

No injuries coming into this season, no Slomo to be paired with, I think we'll see improvements.

No, I don't think he's been close to as bad as some of those on here claim.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Nobody in this thread, but I see him being called a bust all the time. He can very well be, he's nothing but a disappointment thus far in his career.

Well, calling him a bust is probably the most absurd thing you can do, considering he's one of very few players his age in the NHL.especially being a defender... I give him till 25 without showing significant strides to call him a bust.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
A bit too much, but as we've seen in the past, DT likes to overpay "his guys".

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
A bit too much, but as we've seen in the past, DT likes to overpay "his guys".

It isn't too much... Maybe a little bit !

But people have to understand that Gudbranson took a pay-cut... With his bonus on his rookie contract, he got paid over 3M per year !

I like the Tallon quote who said that we are paying for results and not potential, and that Erik better progress during this contract...

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
It isn't too much... Maybe a little bit !

But people have to understand that Gudbranson took a pay-cut... With his bonus on his rookie contract, he got paid over 3M per year !

I like the Tallon quote who said that we are paying for results and not potential, and that Erik better progress during this contract...

His ELC was 925k with performance bonuses that could reach 3+. Safe to say he wasn't near 3 on his ELC.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
It's a slight overpayment, but for a team that won't be so close to the cap for the next 2 years, it's not worth pissing a player off for .5M per year.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
think its important to keep him happy, if you start lowballing he might get bit pissed. his dad seems to be super legit though so probably wouldn't be a problem anyway, and gudbranson himself is such a great guy that i actually believe trully want to turn this around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad