Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Here's my question. I try not to drag my wife to many superhero movies, the ones most disconnected from any cinematic universe and not bogged down in backstory from other movies are easily more palatable for her to enjoy with me. The first 2 Guardians movies are great examples of this, with some references to the MCU but they would pass right over you had you never seen another MCU movie. So, with my wife never having seen an Avengers movie, am I going to have to explain to my wife that Gamora died and the Gamora in this movie is a time-traveller Gamora from the first-act of the first Guardians movie or does Gunn do a damn good job of making sure the audience is up to speed?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sadly I think this will be what we see from certain critics from now on for comic book based movies. Often mundane complaints about too much CGI or not understanding the store. One critic actually, in part, gave it a C+ because of the "brutal animal cruelty, will make this rough sledding"

Example this guy likes the story but not the special effects "It’s a sweet and savory morsel of storytelling, drowning in a puddle of special-effects sauce."

Reactions: John Price

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
So, with my wife never having seen an Avengers movie, am I going to have to explain to my wife that Gamora died and the Gamora in this movie is a time-traveller Gamora from the first-act of the first Guardians movie or does Gunn do a damn good job of making sure the audience is up to speed?

The audience is not exactly brought up to speed, it's more gradually revealed what happened, and not really in great detail.

Reactions: barriers

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
The audience is not exactly brought up to speed, it's more gradually revealed what happened, and not really in great detail.
Thanks. I guess I'll have to fill her in myself. I hate having to cover comic backstory, it sounds so stupid said aloud. When asked, I recently tried explaining to my six year old why there are so many Spider-Men. Nothing but nonsense came out of my mouth.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
77% approval.

I'm struggling to understand why this gets 77 and it might as well be a good movie, but Quantumania, which is also a good movie, gets 50%. Oh well. Probably not worth my time trying to analyze these idiot critics
You're struggling to understand why a movie that you haven't seen has a 77% approval rating and calling critics "idiots" because enough didn't agree with you on another?

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Most critics are idiots though and are paid to push or trash certain movies
Ironic considering those same critics were pushing for Marvel movies for over a decade. People kept bringing the Rotten Tomatoes score to show that Marvel had another quality movie and hit on their hands. Critics are giving less glowing reviews and suddenly they are "idiots".

Sep 19, 2008
Because Quantumania shouldn't have been rated that low.

Anyway I'm going into hibernation until I see the movie tomorrow.

Amazing there are still so many seats available at 4 pm. :laugh:

Reactions: beowulf

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Most critics are idiots though and are paid to push or trash certain movies
I saw someone ask a critic who complained about "animal cruelty" in this if they were vegan or vegetarian and the critic said "no". So those kind of comments tend to be a bit hollow.

I don't think Youtube has recommended a single negative review of this movie yet to be and it's recommended plenty of people I've never heard of before. So just based on that, I think this might have a huge difference between the critics score and Audience Rating.

Also, let's not forget that the RT score for movies only matters when the critics opinion aligns with the posters own view. If you like a movie and the critics like it, they are fine. If you like a movie and they hate, they're trash. Same way if they they like movie and you don't.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I saw someone ask a critic who complained about "animal cruelty" in this if they were vegan or vegetarian and the critic said "no". So those kind of comments tend to be a bit hollow.

I don't think Youtube has recommended a single negative review of this movie yet to be and it's recommended plenty of people I've never heard of before. So just based on that, I think this might have a huge difference between the critics score and Audience Rating.

Also, let's not forget that the RT score for movies only matters when the critics opinion aligns with the posters own view. If you like a movie and the critics like it, they are fine. If you like a movie and they hate, they're trash. Same way if they they like movie and you don't.
The complaint about animal cruelty makes no sense to me as this is not real life, this is a movie in which an evil character uses all kinds of life forms to try and create the "perfect" being. What about the alien cruelty or the human cruelty?

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The complaint about animal cruelty makes no sense to me as this is not real life, this is a movie in which an evil character uses all kinds of life forms to try and create the "perfect" being. What about the alien cruelty or the human cruelty?
Someone actually mentioned "prepare for fake animal cruelty".

Reactions: beowulf

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Because Quantumania shouldn't have been rated that low.
According to you, but your opinion isn't more important or authoritative than anyone else's and it seems rather silly to tell others how they should rate it.

Perhaps you misunderstand RT's system. The scores aren't "ratings," but percentages of people who liked a movie or show. A 50% score means that half of the critics or audience members liked it and half didn't. If you liked it, instead of getting indignant, consider that half of the people share your feelings on it and be happy about that.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
According to you, but what makes your opinion of the movie more authoritative than anyone else's, critics included?

Perhaps you misunderstand RT's system. The scores aren't "ratings," but percentages of people who liked a movie or show. A 50% score means that half of the critics or audience members liked it and half didn't. If you liked it, instead of getting indignant, consider that half of the people share your feelings on it and be happy about that.
Well to be fair the critic score of the movie is 47% but the fan/audience score is 83%. Let's face it, critics in general, not all but a lot, are not fans of comic book or blockbuster movies and generally give them a lower score even if fans adore them.

Add to that, often the reason for their giving them a lower score are suspect like I noted above with some of the rotten critic reviews. I find too many critics come across as failed movie industry types and because they could not make it as a director or whatever making the arthouse movies they like, they crap all over big budget movies no matter how good or bad they are. Sometimes critics surprise the hell out of me like for the recent D&D movie which has a 90% fresh rating on RT which is almost the same as the audience rating of 93%.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well to be fair the critic score of the movie is 47% but the fan/audience score is 83%. Let's face it, critics in general, not all but a lot, are not fans of comic book or blockbuster movies and generally give them a lower score even if fans adore them.

Add to that, often the reason for their giving them a lower score are suspect like I noted above with some of the rotten critic reviews. I find too many critics come across as failed movie industry types and because they could not make it as a director or whatever making the arthouse movies they like, they crap all over big budget movies no matter how good or bad they are. Sometimes critics surprise the hell out of me like for the recent D&D movie which has a 90% fresh rating on RT which is almost the same as the audience rating of 93%.
For Marvel content, the critic scores are actually higher than the audience scores about as often as they are lower.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/marvel_cinematic_universe

Critics can certainly have questionable reasons for giving rotten reviews (as can non-critics), but it doesn't appear to be driven in this case by an underlying bias against Marvel content.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
With Marvel content, the critic scores are actually higher than the audience scores about as often as they are lower.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/marvel_cinematic_universe

Critics can, indeed, have questionable reasons for giving rotten reviews (so can anyone), but it doesn't appear to be driven in this case by an underlying bias against Marvel content.
The only thing i can say about critics, is that many of them have political checkboxes that will determine if something is good or bad. Complaining about animal cruelty is one of those cases. It does not matter if the animals are not real, it's animal cruelty so it's bad and bad means a lower score.

Reactions: Osprey

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Ant Man was a pretty mediocre movie so critics being split on it seems fair. All those positive reviews of Ant-Man didn't translate into a box office hit. The domestic take was around the same as the last one while the international take is the lowest of the three and nearly $150 million less than the last one. Considering the movie likely cost $200 million and the marketing was nearly as expensive, the movie has probably lost money to this point.

Regarding critics, I remember someone posting tweets from some (wannabe?) critic in the Thor: Love and Thunder thread saying that the movie struck a perfect balance light-hearted and earnest tone or something like that. I think we know that was not the case.

Sep 19, 2008
Few thoughts on the movie

- I'm glad they didn't have Gamore return full time. She was a ravager and shoehorning her back into the guardians would have been silly. It's nice that Star Lord got to move on somewhat.

- Basically nothing to complain about the movie. It's just a big hug of love and compassion in a world divided by hate and anger. You can feel the love through the screen, like someone is coming right out of the screen to give you a big huge. Love is all over this movie, from the love between Rocket and his fellow batch, the love between Peter and his friends, the love Rocket has for his fellow captives, the love the Guardians have for the children, and so on.

- Minor complain is that the final boss right was a bit short. Would have liked to see it string out a bit longer. They all just ganged up on him and overwhelmed him. This the same dude that used his magic powers to wipe out all those who tried to overthrow him lol.

- Credits were really well done. Love them putting snippets of the moments throughout the trilogy in picture form.

- regarding the animal cruelty and testing yes I did feel a pinge of sadness when the turtle was blown up, and most of the animals you see are cruel interpretations of the main bad guy's project. But it felt good to see them all freed.

Other than that it was a great movie. You could feel the compassion and love throughout. Would strongly recommend.

non spoiler: They had a trailer for the Marvels before which was pretty good. Gotta get around to watching Ms Marvel sometime...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad