Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Just got back, its fun, its fine, its fine and fine, Cosmo reminded me of my old Golden Retriever and how much I miss her, so its 5/5 based on the use of talking telekinetic space floof.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
My brief, non-spoiler review is that Gunn is.-- by leaps and bounds -- the best at this. No one else is close. I don't think I would put it in the top 10 but it's easily the best movie since Endgame. That's a big win considering the recent run.

Sep 19, 2008
My brief, non-spoiler review is that Gunn is.-- by leaps and bounds -- the best at this. No one else is close. I don't think I would put it in the top 10 but it's easily the best movie since Endgame. That's a big win considering the recent run.
Rumors of an MCU decline were exaggerated

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Rumors of an MCU decline were exaggerated

Depends on how one views a decline. I do think much of what's come post Endgame has been mostly mediocre and in some cases bad from a quality standpoint. I think that's been a fair criticism.

But I've never once really bought into the doomcasting feeling that it's going to lead to any sort of end or reckoning for the MCU.

They're still chugging along. There will be both good and bad movies to come.

I'm pretty zen about this.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

nice to hear. the last few offerings have been mediocre to trash. cannot wait to go see it!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya I'm very excited to see this. Going tomorrow, seems like the publics reviews are far outscoring critic reviews(Which aren't even terrible by any means either).

Looking forward to it.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Saw it on Wed. Enjoyed it overall but had some complaints. Probably a B or a B- for me.

1. The story felt really unfocused and overlong at times. Shortcuts were taken and things happened just so other things could happen. For example....

2. The Adam Warlock character. Just put in the story to serve as a Deus Ex Machina device. You need to get Rocket hurt badly? Have him show up, almost kill him (though he was supposed to be stealing him?), then leave after fighting all of the characters and getting injured instead of just flying in and taking Rocket. You need the audience to think Peter is going to die and then have him saved? Cool. Let's have him get stuck in space and then have Adam Warlock fly out to get him (also, what happened to Quill's mask and rocket boots?)

3. Other shortcuts taken for the sake of plot devices. We see drunk Quill at the start who is clearly mourning Gamora and it's also implied this isn't the first time he's been a total mess. When did this happen to the character? Why does he never have this issue again and seems more or less fine through the rest of the movie? Just so the Guardians are exposed and weak at the start of the movie so Rocket can get hurt?

4. The music. Too overbearing. Felt more distracting than anything. Every scene had another song in it. The entire acoustic version of Creep playing at the start was too much and it just didn't let up. The first two did a better job incorporating these songs in my opinion.

5. The animal cruelty was indeed rough. No one thinks it's real, but if you're not moved the first time Baby Rocket comes back from being experimented on, you need to be put on a watchlist. Also, these flashbacks are some of the best parts of the movie. Truly well done.

6. Loved the bad guy. Unhinged and dangerous. A despicable individual.

Always difficult to wrap up a beloved trilogy and I thought everyone did a good enough job though. It's a lot better than Ant-Man and the Eternals for sure.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A satisfying conclusion to the Guardians saga.

Didn't like how the music was used.
Didn't have too many complaints but I agree about the music. I know it's part of the series whole thing but it also felt aggressively forced a little more than previous movies. Like literally showing characters hitting play or stop on the songs. Not a big deal but noticeable to the point of distraction.

Related: I'm not a crazy Springsteen person but how do you get the rights to Badlands and then bury it as the second song in the credits? Weird decision.

Sep 19, 2008
People didn't like how the music was used but No Sleep from Brooklyn was used perfectly as was the ending credit music

I knew that sounded familiar. it's chopin!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
People didn't like how the music was used but No Sleep from Brooklyn was used perfectly as was the ending credit music

I knew that sounded familiar. it's chopin!

Several songs are absolutely used well. But there's definitely an overriding vibe that screams "buy the soundtrack!"

Again, minor complaint for me, but I felt it more than in previous movies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'll never complain about the music in Guardians movies. The movie is written around the music essentially, before there's even a script the songs are picked by Gunn. It's a big part of the Guardians

I absolutely loved this movie though. Perfect ending for the Guardians and definitely makes it my favorite Trilogy.

Loved the ending for most of the characters, but I did really hope Gamora and Star-Lord would end up together or that they'd at least stay with the Guardians. Perhaps the door is open with the tease of Star-Lord returning in a future film at the end of the movie (although that's probably just the next Avengers?).

But, at least every character had a happy ending and no one died. Basically leaves the rest of their futures to our thoughts which I like a lot.

Also, that fight scene towards the end was incredibly well-done. One of the best in the MCU for sure, and the music made it THAT much better imo.

Also the first F-bomb in the MCU, loved it haha. Caught the whole theater off-guard

I'd be lying if I said the Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't one of the biggest factors in getting me interested in the MCU. Gonna miss these movies

Reactions: John Price

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
It's great. Easily the darkest and arguably the most touching (next to the moment/conclusion everyone knows I'm talking about) film in the MCU. It's also funny and has some great action sequences. It's jarring, but that's on purpose for effect. I don't know how anyone can say the music was more offputting than excellent. So much was spot on of the mood or characters, Creep defines Rocket's perspective of life, and No Sleep Till Brooklyn, The Dog Days Are Over, and I'd heavily argue Do You Realize? were so spot on it's not even funny. The film is also heavily pro-animals and anti-animal testing and anti-animal cruelty. Some nice messages made throughout also, small and large in the film, which is nice given how most of the MCU is just popcorn fodder. Avengers saga aside, my personal favorite triology amongst the MCU films, feels like it has something for everyone to like.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Saw it today at my small home town theater. Loved it. Almost on par with the first one, if not actually on par. Very emotional. I agree that some background on the High Evolutionary would've been nice but it still worked. He also basically explained Adam Warlock's background so I'm fine with that. This really was Rocket's story and what an emotional one it was. 9+/10 for me.

I may have missed the f-bomb, where was it? Did Cosmo say it?

Reactions: John Price

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Car door sequence. Part of the end of the joke.
Yeah I found the clip on Youtube. I can't believe I missed it. :laugh: :facepalm:

By the way, this should have legs (until Little Mermaid):
Fva6_jIaMAA1ddG

Reactions: OzzyFan

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
One thing I really appreciate is that it doesn't do several things that I completely expected it to do. Namely ... I expected Peter and Gamora to get together and I definitely expected them to kill off characters.

I'm glad Gunn found alternative ways to wrap up everything outside of those very obvious choices. Death isn't the only way to establish stakes/drive emotion.

I also think the decision to make Adam Warlock a dumb baby was hilarious.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
One thing I really appreciate is that it doesn't do several things that I completely expected it to do. Namely ... I expected Peter and Gamora to get together and I definitely expected them to kill off characters.

I'm glad Gunn found alternative ways to wrap up everything outside of those very obvious choices. Death isn't the only way to establish stakes/drive emotion.

I also think the decision to make Adam Warlock a dumb baby was hilarious.

I've read some comic book stories with him, Infinity War maybe and the adult Adam is a bit meh character. I think having a younger Adam Warlock was the right choice. It gives them ways to develop the character more.

Last edited:

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Just watched this and loved it. I'd rank it in 2nd in Guardians standalone movies behind Vol 2.

The only thing I didn't like was Groot saying "I love you guys". That was cringey as hell.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

The movie’s initial performance isn’t welcome news for Marvel or Gunn, who now runs rival DC Studios, and is sparking further concern that superhero fatigue has settled in at the box office.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just brief thoughts because I'm leaving to the theater to go to game 2 of VGK/EDM right from the theater but I loved it. Guardians 1 is far and away my favorite MCU movie so much so that it basically transcends the MCU for me. This was a great send off for the trilogy and these characters. No exaggeration on claims that it's the best MCU movie since Endgame. Wouldn't put it above Guardians 1 since there are some pacing and flow issues but I'll put it above 2 which I still enjoyed. Definitely the most consistent MCU trilogy.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The movie’s initial performance isn’t welcome news for Marvel or Gunn, who now runs rival DC Studios, and is sparking further concern that superhero fatigue has settled in at the box office.
I saw it equaled Quantumania's Thursday and beat Friday by 2 million. Depends on Sunday I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad