Confirmed with Link: Gryba signs 2 years 1.25 AAV

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm not defending people who talk like that about players, but to say we can't criticize because we aren't professional hockey players is absurd. May as well shut down this website.

Imagine if we applied this to politicians.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
What if people came to watch them at their job and yell "Omg what an horrible dishwasher, this cashier sucks hardcore, that mechanic is garbage". I think they deserve respect, no? But oh well, maybe I expect too much from the human being.

1) If I do my job poorly/fail to meet expectations I get fired.
2) I'm not being paid millions of dollars.
3) I think you do expect too much. Human beings are capable of far worse and it happens everyday. Read the news.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Totally fine with this deal.

Good bottom pairing guy who plays PK minutes, on a very trade-able contract if one of the younger defencemen pass him on the organizational depth chart in the next two years.

No downsides here. All good.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Gryba needs to get back to playing a mean game & hit people harder. I think that hit on Eller & subsequent suspension hurt his game for quite a while last yr. He also needs to drop the gloves a little more, he is another big guy on this team that plays too soft. I don't mind the signing but I wish he played more like Boroweicki.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
2 years at that money is a very good deal for a right side D where the Sens are weakest in NHL ready depth. Can't fight much but tough as nails to play against and hits like a ton of bricks. I like the signing.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Importance of D-men for me

And I'm not a very big Gryba fan too, would prefer Boro or maybe Claesson sooner rather than later

I don't understand this point. You are not the first one to raise this, but it doesn't make sense unless Gryba plays on the left or Boro/Claesson play on the right.

I like Claesson a lot, but he won't be usurping Gryba. Phillips on the other hand...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
we only have 3 NHL Level Right D in the system, Karlsson, Ceci, Gryba
we have 5 NHL Level Left D in the system Methot, Cowen, Wiercioch, Borowiecki, Claesson, and an AHL level Phillips.

its either Gryba or another Corvo type signing for that spot, because we dont have right handed shot who can play at the NHL level our next best player on that side after Gryba is Alex Grant

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Personally, I find it offensive and utterly stupid to read so many people call NHL hockey players hot garbage, useless plugs, utterly suck, etc, when they are actually the very BEST at what they do. I think I never used those terms, does that prevent me from posting and have an opinion?

I'd rather read opinions where people can criticize fairly and respectfully in a educated and civilized way. What if people came to watch them at their job and yell "Omg what an horrible dishwasher, this cashier sucks hardcore, that mechanic is garbage". I think they deserve respect, no? But oh well, maybe I expect too much from the human being.

You have to be fair.
Generally when fans of any sports criticize a player and says stuff like "he sucks", they usually mean compared to other players.
Where as in there are other players that are better than him, not that he sucks in general.

Back on topic, I think this is a solid deal, doesn't hurt anyone. Gryba is a solid bottom pairing D and is being paid adequately for his position, a position where we lack depth at too (Right handed D)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Arguably he was our most consistent D in the second half of the season. There is no down side to this signing. The Gryba haters still haven't come up with a good reason why this is a bad deal.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Totally fine with this deal.

Good bottom pairing guy who plays PK minutes, on a very trade-able contract if one of the younger defencemen pass him on the organizational depth chart in the next two years.

No downsides here. All good.

Exactly how I look at it. Solid move all around

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Gryba had the highest +/- stats of our defensemen with a +9. Methot came in second with a +1 and believe it or not, Cowen came in third with a 0.

Karlsson2Turris*

Gryba had the highest +/- stats of our defensemen with a +9. Methot came in second with a +1 and believe it or not, Cowen came in third with a 0.

That's not very surprising as, believe it or not, those 3 may have been our top defensive defencemen last year (Karlsson played horribly defensively coming off of injury). You could argue Ceci was better but he was playing with Phillips:laugh:

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Solid stop gap contract for a middling team. Hopefully we will have Better options by the time grybas contract is up , but in the mean time he is an average 6th dman and being paid as such.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not defending people who talk like that about players, but to say we can't criticize because we aren't professional hockey players is absurd. May as well shut down this website.

I agree with that. Criticizing is fine, bashing is stupid and classless.

1) If I do my job poorly/fail to meet expectations I get fired.
2) I'm not being paid millions of dollars.
3) I think you do expect too much. Human beings are capable of far worse and it happens everyday. Read the news.

1) Well, hockey players are "fired" every year... i.e. not signed to an extension, sent back to minors, traded, bought out, waived... If everytime a player was fired when they don't meet unrealistic fans expectations, there wouldn't be 36 players dressed each game. Same applies for normal people, we still need people filling the spots even if they are far from perfect (They probably use that philosophy too much at Bell Canada though)

2) Doesn't matter, it's a market like the one you work for and people are getting paid accordingly to the value generated. Like a salesman can make a lot more money selling pharmaceutical products than food.

3) True, I do expect educated people to act a bit more reasonably, yes. You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you will join us. And the world will be as one

I don't understand this point. You are not the first one to raise this, but it doesn't make sense unless Gryba plays on the left or Boro/Claesson play on the right.

I like Claesson a lot, but he won't be usurping Gryba. Phillips on the other hand...

Hmm good point, totally overlooked this when I posted. As it stands we have Karlsson, Ceci, Gryba, and soon Niskanen :sarcasm:

But seriously, I though Boro was a RD before... didn't he play that side before?

You have to be fair.
Generally when fans of any sports criticize a player and says stuff like "he sucks", they usually mean compared to other players.
Where as in there are other players that are better than him, not that he sucks in general.

If NHL players suck, what is the word to describe me and my friends when we play? :cry:

:laugh:

No seriously, I admit sucks is pushing it but IMO it depends how you use it.

"Player X sucked last game" : fine
"Player Y really sucks donkey dicks" : not fine

I know I wouldn't appreciate it if someone was calling me out like that knowing I have made it much further than them. Would make feel pity too for the jealousy.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
The time I felt the more safe last year in our own zone was when Gryba was on the ice. I wasn't a fan of him but I learned to like him. He isn't excellent at anything but he does everything pretty well, he can hit, good first pass, good gap control and he can skate.

Actually after Karlsson last year I thought he was our best d-men, and I'm a really big fan of Methot. If you count the D-Zone only I think Gryba was our #1 in that category, at least he can win a puck battle

EDIT: Not sure if it's Gryba that was that good or our D that was pure ****

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hmm good point, totally overlooked this when I posted. As it stands we have Karlsson, Ceci, Gryba, and soon Niskanen :sarcasm:

But seriously, I though Boro was a RD before... didn't he play that side before?

You know what, I had to think back on Boro playing on the right side myself as I had an inkling that he may have done it. But I think it was Phillips who was playing on the right side when Boro initially came up.

In any case, if we get Niskanen or Stralman then yes Gryba might be pushed out. Although I wouldn't rule out Ceci being sent down. We'd have a balanced corps that way.

Methot (DFD) - Karl (PMD)
Cowen (DFD) - UFA (PMD)
Wier (PMD) - Gryba (DFD)

Boro/Phillips (DFD) extras

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
A fair deal for a bottom pairing guy with some experience. That salary certainly won't handcuff the team.

Gryba was one of the few to pick it up after a bad start last season.

He's limited despite some impressive tools, but effective in his role. Good move for him and the team.

Thumbs up.

shakazuzu

Feb 28, 2007
I think Gryba needs to find his mean streak again. Seems like the Eller hit and subsequent JOKE of a suspension on a clean hit has his second-guessing his game. If someone can remind him he's made of stone, he can be a very, very good bottom-pairing defenseman. Especially at that contract.

totally agree. he seems to always get chintzy penalty calls against him and i think it hurts his game.

The Fuhr*

Considering I figured Gryba was worth double that had he gone to arbitration, this is a fantastic deal.

Sets Gryba up for a sweet payday in two years should he preform well. Nikitin just got 4.5 and I don't see why Gryba can't be as good as him

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Gryba needs to get back to playing a mean game & hit people harder. I think that hit on Eller & subsequent suspension hurt his game for quite a while last yr.
I actually agree with this, he didn't seem as physical after that hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad