Confirmed with Link: Gryba signs 2 years 1.25 AAV

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
One is an all-star, one regressed last season, and the other is an unproven 20 year old. I wouldn't be comfortable with this d core going into next season. Karlsson is the only real top pairing guy.

Making Methot seem like a negative is stupid, he was fine last year. I didn't call the group great but the original post made it seem like Boro, Phillips, Cowen and Gryba were the core, leaving out 3 essential guys.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm just not a fan. He gets by on some nights but mostly shown that he's not NHL caliber. I wish we had better option.

He's definitely NHL caliber. Bottom pairing caliber, but still NHL level. Signing this guy to a 2 year deal proves that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Importance of D-men for me

Karlsson
Methot
Cowen
Ceci
Wiercioch
Phillips
Gryba
Boro

I wouldn't mind seeing Boro and/or Claesson making Gryba expendable and then he would be easy to trade with a cheap cap hit

It's not all that bad when Karlsson, Methot and Ceci are the other 3 guys in front of them

And Wiercioch

I'm just not a fan. He gets by on some nights but mostly shown that he's not NHL caliber. I wish we had better option.

People on this board think most of our D-men are not NHL caliber because of the 27th GA last season. But what was their opinion the year before when they were 2nd GA? This is a team game and most of guys would have looked a lot better on a stronger defensive system/team defense

I wonder when exactly people will start figuring this out lol

And I'm not a very big Gryba fan too, would prefer Boro or maybe Claesson sooner rather than later

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
People on this board think most of our D-men are not NHL caliber because of the 27th GA last season. But what was their opinion the year before when they were 2nd GA? This is a team game and most of guys would have looked a lot better on a stronger defensive system/team defense

I wonder when exactly people will start figuring this out lol

And I'm not a very big Gryba fan too, would prefer Boro or maybe Claesson sooner rather than later

I never liked Gryba, not even during his Calder Cup run with Bingo. It has nothing to do with what the team did last year. I'm with you, I prefer Boro from what I've seen so far and I hope Claesson pans out but I haven't seen enough of him to know.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I never liked Gryba, not even during his Calder Cup run with Bingo. It has nothing to do with what the team did last year. I'm with you, I prefer Boro from what I've seen so far and I hope Claesson pans out but I haven't seen enough of him to know.

Shame on Murray for signing a non nhl player.LOL

otown

Sep 4, 2009
A fair deal. 2 yrs is a good time span to see if he reaches expectations. He will be a physical presence which the sens need in the "d" zone.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
He was good the year (and season) we played Montreal in the playoffs, this past season he wasn't as good. I didn't realize he was 26 but he's shown he can be a good player - he just needs to figure out consistency.

It's 1.25 AAV so there's nothing to complain about.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I think Gryba needs to find his mean streak again. Seems like the Eller hit and subsequent JOKE of a suspension on a clean hit has his second-guessing his game. If someone can remind him he's made of stone, he can be a very, very good bottom-pairing defenseman. Especially at that contract.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Amusing. Borowiecki is deadweight - he makes a few big hits here and there but other than that he's a total defensive and offensive liability.

There's no upside. All he can do at an NHL level is an occasional hit. I wish that wasn't the case because he's a local guy and I wanted to see him succeed but he will never be an NHL player without multiple miracles to his skating, decision making, passing and shooting.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Making Methot seem like a negative is stupid, he was fine last year. I didn't call the group great but the original post made it seem like Boro, Phillips, Cowen and Gryba were the core, leaving out 3 essential guys.

I didn't say he was a negative, I said he regressed last year which is true, don't put words in my mouth. Him and Ceci aren't going to save this d core.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Amusing. Borowiecki is deadweight - he makes a few big hits here and there but other than that he's a total defensive and offensive liability.

There's no upside. All he can do at an NHL level is an occasional hit. I wish that wasn't the case because he's a local guy and I wanted to see him succeed but he will never be an NHL player without multiple miracles to his skating, decision making, passing and shooting.

Seems everyone is a liability to the fans. The sad part is the fans haven't played in the NHL YET SEEM to be authorities. This guy sucks that guy sucks the team sucks the defence sucks owner sucks GM sucks coach sucks his Corsi sucks off zone starts suck but i hardly ever hear that many fans suck.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Seems everyone is a liability to the fans. The sad part is the fans haven't played in the NHL YET SEEM to be authorities. This guy sucks that guy sucks the team sucks the defence sucks owner sucks GM sucks coach sucks his Corsi sucks off zone starts suck but i hardly ever hear that many fans suck.

Really? Because Borowiecki got two chances with this NHL organization called the Ottawa Senators and in both cases was sent down in favor of others like Gryba, Ceci, Weircioch.

That's without even getting at the deeper issue here - that this is a hockey forum where people share their opinions on players, teams, rules, etc...

But I guess if we had it your way no one would ever discuss anything. Brilliant stuff, ground-breaking. You should get a medal or something.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Really? Because Borowiecki got two chances with this NHL organization called the Ottawa Senators and in both cases was sent down in favor of others like Gryba, Ceci, Weircioch.

That's without even getting at the deeper issue here - that this is a hockey forum where people share their opinions on players, teams, rules, etc...

But I guess if we had it your way no one would ever discuss anything. Brilliant stuff, ground-breaking. You should get a medal or something.

Just saying that a lot of people simply criticize without justification. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Actually?

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010

Never scratched when he was up. Played ahead of 3 other D-men . Only D-man that was waiver exempt. That plus they needed Ceci to take on the puck moving role is why he went back.

You probably think Willy Mitchell and Matt Greene are deadweight too (or, do you even know who they are ?)

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If Eric Gryba had Borowiecki's tenacity and aggressiveness, we'd have a pretty solid Dman.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

Just saying that a lot of people simply criticize without justification. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Actually?

The justification is that we're the fans that support the league. No **** we aren't NHL quality players, does that mean we aren't allowed to have an opinion? jesus.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I always saw Gryba as a pretty competitive guy, don't see big difference between their games, except for mobility, and size.

Big man need do this more.

i7qZfWV3W4P4P.gif

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ceci is right after Karlsson for me.

Ya in the future he is as well

Karlsson
Ceci
Cowen
Methot
Wikstrand
Claesson
Borowiecki

Phillips' role will diminish and he's retiring soon
Wiercioch would be there but we're full on LW and ufortunately he doesn't seem to be good enough on RW. Might be a trading chip
Gryba is there for 2 years max but I'm hoping he gets traded. He is not part of my plans. Kind of like a young cheap stop gap (like Condra) until others are ready

The justification is that we're the fans that support the league. No **** we aren't NHL quality players, does that mean we aren't allowed to have an opinion? jesus.

Personally, I find it offensive and utterly stupid to read so many people call NHL hockey players hot garbage, useless plugs, utterly suck, etc, when they are actually the very BEST at what they do. I think I never used those terms, does that prevent me from posting and have an opinion?

I'd rather read opinions where people can criticize fairly and respectfully in a educated and civilized way. What if people came to watch them at their job and yell "Omg what an horrible dishwasher, this cashier sucks hardcore, that mechanic is garbage". I think they deserve respect, no? But oh well, maybe I expect too much from the human being.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Ya in the future he is as well

Karlsson
Ceci
Cowen
Methot
Wikstrand
Claesson
Borowiecki

Phillips' role will diminish and he's retiring soon
Wiercioch would be there but we're full on LW and ufortunately he doesn't seem to be good enough on RW. Might be a trading chip
Gryba is there for 2 years max but I'm hoping he gets traded. He is not part of my plans. Kind of like a young cheap stop gap (like Condra) until others are ready

Personally, I find it offensive and utterly stupid to read so many people call NHL hockey players hot garbage, useless plugs, utterly suck, etc, when they are actually the very BEST at what they do. I think I never used those terms, does that prevent me from posting and have an opinion?

I'd rather read opinions where people can criticize fairly and respectfully in a educated and civilized way. What if people came to watch them at their job and yell "Omg what an horrible dishwasher, this cashier sucks hardcore, that mechanic is garbage". I think they deserve respect, no? But oh well, maybe I expect too much from the human being.

I'm not defending people who talk like that about players, but to say we can't criticize because we aren't professional hockey players is absurd. May as well shut down this website.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad