Confirmed with Link: Gryba 2 years @ 900k

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
People who don't think Gryba is a number 7 dman need to go around the NHL and look at some of the other teams #7's. We are lucky to have him, some #7's are complete trash.

You can't just grab a guy like Bear/Jones he'll even Davidson as your #7. They won't develop.

I love that he's so cheap that if Bear/Jones do develop early you can dump him for nothing.

I've never seen a fan base like Edmonton that blames losses on fourth line players and #6-7 dmen. You win and lose with your best players not these guys.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
People who don't think Gryba is a number 7 dman need to go around the NHL and look at some of the other teams #7's. We are lucky to have him, some #7's are complete trash.

You can't just grab a guy like Bear/Jones he'll even Davidson as your #7. They won't develop.

I love that he's so cheap that if Bear/Jones do develop early you can dump him for nothing.

I've never seen a fan base like Edmonton that blames losses on fourth line players and #6-7 dmen. You win and lose with your best players not these guys.

This is exactly why it's a good thing, you aren't forcing prospects into the lineup, if one of them grabs the bull by the horns and earns the spot that's one thing but you're not just gifting them a spot, this team tried that for a lot of years and look how it worked out. Gotta trade guys to make room for the younger player, oh the younger player isn't working out like we hoped, gotta trade them to make room for the other younger players, surely they'll work out. Now they gotta beat an actual NHL #7 D to get icetime, it's much better that way. If Gryba flounders it's no loss compared to if a rookie or young D does the same.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Played his role really well in the regular season, but got exposed a bit in the playoffs.

Far worse options for a #7D out there.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Good contract. A proven NHLer.

Also, the Oilers made it to GM7 of the WCSF last season with guys like Russell and Gryba on the roster.

I have no worries about brining back a mostly in tact team that has it's best players being 1 year older and more experienced. I'd like to see them add a veteran D on a one-year deal to replace Sekera for the balance of the season and add a veteran RW.

My biggest worry is still back-up goalie given Brossoit has almost no NHL experience. I would play him 5 of the first 12 games or so to begin the season and decide at that time whether a more proven guy should be added.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Gives the up and coming prospects room to keep developing. But if they beat him out at training camp that's good. Competition and all of that junk

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Good value, guy is well liked in the room. Decent #7/8 guy.

As long as he's not expected to play big minutes he's fine.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
I can't complain too much about a #6/7 guy, but I was always scared when gryba was out there. Always being beat wide and had to take a penalty. He doesn't have any speed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think its smart to have an inexpensive backup when injury occurs. Who else do we pay that much to, to sit in the press box?

Not our prospects, they should be playing in the A.

My problem with this signing would be if they expect Gryba to be the full time #6 until Sekera returns with Benning jumping up to the 2nd pairing.

I'm perfectly fine with Gryba as a #7/#8 who can jump up as an injury replacement short term but with Sekera likely out for a couple of months, it becomes problematic if Gryba is the replacement for that time period.

I'm a bit concerned that this is it for roster adds because of the unknown of the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts. Can't really do much until those numbers are known.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
My problem with this signing would be if they expect Gryba to be the full time #6 until Sekera returns with Benning jumping up to the 2nd pairing.

I'm perfectly fine with Gryba as a #7/#8 who can jump up as an injury replacement short term but with Sekera likely out for a couple of months, it becomes problematic if Gryba is the replacement for that time period.

I'm a bit concerned that this is it for roster adds because of the unknown of the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts. Can't really do much until those numbers are known.

They need two defensemen(one to take Reggie's spot and a #7D), so I'm hopeful they'll be still looking.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

This.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Solid signing.

This year it really seems like the guys who are resigning, want to resign because they like the team. Thats nice to see.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They need two defensemen(one to take Reggie's spot and a #7D), so I'm hopeful they'll be still looking.

I agree but I just can't see it for two reasons, because of the possible unknown with the McDavid and Drai contracts plus I'm not sure that Chia wants to spend money on a Dman who will likely be in the pressbox when Sekera returns a couple of months into the season.
I think we'll see Benning be the short term Sekera replacement, Mclellan seems to have a lot of trust in him. Internal growth will be vital for the team this season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Chiarelli's done with making big splashes. I was hoping maybe we would make a trade for someone like Barrie as our final big move, but I think that's over with. Cap management dominates our philosophy now, and that's what this Gryba signing is about.

I like the player okay though. As a 6/7 option, he's good to have if you are up against a physical opponent.

Yep, I think this is it in a nutshell. There aren't anymore big moves coming. I think it also shows that management would prefer to stick with the devil they know when it comes to inexpensive roster fillers too. It's up to the guys making the big bucks to get it done.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Good signing, but simply have to bring in some more D to make up for the loss of sekera and in case there's an injury. Schedule is tougher this coming season and simply have to improve on the back end.

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010
So much for Chia improving our defense this offseason. I see he's content with getting knocked out of the 2nd round next year when we still have the best player in the league on his ELC.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Solid signing. Gryba is functionally tough, and knows the system. Plus hes a RHD. I am fine with him as a #7 fill in D. Hard to change these guys every year because players take a full year to get used to new systems. So even tho Gryba is very limited in what hes able to do, he can be as effective as a better D who has to take a year getting used to Oilers system, thus limiting his play

Gryba is safe and simple and paid as such

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3