Confirmed with Link: Gryba 2 years @ 900k

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm happy with this. He's capable of playing bottom pairing minutes, provides toughness and at $900K, he can be sent to the AHL without any cap implications. Good depth signing.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Love It!! I thought Gryba was solid last year. Im glad he didn't end up in Calgary as a replacement for Engelland

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Obama-reddit-ama-not-bad.jpg

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Contract is fine... the sense that chias plan is have the same team as last year minus eberle and sekera is what is bothering me...

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
With Sekera hurt this basically guarantees he's there game 1 unless someone else signs.

We're going to learn the hard way this season if Chia doesn't bring in a top 4 dman. I don't mind Gryba as a #7/#8 but if he's in our top 6 to start out i see a lot of hardship ahead

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Contract is fine... the sense that chias plan is have the same team as last year minus eberle and sekera is what is bothering me...

Well we made the playoffs easily and Strome has been better in the playoffs than Eberle. Sekera will be back too.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Fairly harmless depth move. This should make it easier to keep Bear and Jones in the AHL the whole year

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The reason that I don't like this contract is it just reeks of complacency.

Now we can just plug in this RHD, who can't skate, can't catch people, can't gap control, can't pass, and can't shoot into the line-up whenever need be, instead of looking for legitimate players on that side.

The money is meaningless and so is the term, but that isn't what should influence anyone's mindset on this signing. It's the fact that we are still likely going to play Gryba, and he's going to single handedly costs us games like he has in the past.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I think its smart to have an inexpensive backup when injury occurs. Who else do we pay that much to, to sit in the press box?

Not our prospects, they should be playing in the A.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Well we made the playoffs easily and Strome has been better in the playoffs than Eberle. Sekera will be back too.

It's also still prior to free agency starting. This is just the typical reaction we get when we start re-signing depth players, and people start to overreact that they believe that we're done.

I don't expect us to be huge players in free agency, but the likelihood that Chia is slotting Gryba in to play ~30 games next season is very, very low in my opinion. Despite what some of you think, he's a smart guy. He's going to get another D to play until Sekera is healthy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We're going to learn the hard way this season if Chia doesn't bring in a top 4 dman. I don't mind Gryba as a #7/#8 but if he's in our top 6 to start out i see a lot of hardship ahead

I'm already fearing one more injury to our defense, considering how healthy it was last year. Going into the year with the same defense should raise a few flags...

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The reason that I don't like this contract is it just reeks of complacency.

Now we can just plug in this RHD, who can't skate, can't catch people, can't gap control, can't pass, and can't shoot into the line-up whenever need be, instead of looking for legitimate players on that side.

The money is meaningless and so is the term, but that isn't what should influence anyone's mindset on this signing. It's the fact that we are still likely going to play Gryba, and he's going to single handedly costs us games like he has in the past.

What makes you think that signing a perennial 7th defenseman means that Chiarelli is happy with the D now and won't make any moves? There's zero evidence to back this up.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I don't mind gryba. If he had any speed he probably would be a top 4 Dman, he's just a bit too slow for NHL hockey. Grats to him for getting a multi year deal, as a #7 that's not all that easy to do.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not a fan of the player at all, so I am not excited by this. This has been an extremely disappointing offseason so far. However, I am not a GM and Chiarelli has done a good job so far. I guess we wait and see.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm already fearing one more injury to our defense, considering how healthy it was last year. Going into the year with the same defense should raise a few flags...

Might have to pony up for Stone or be forced to trade RNH to bring in a top 4 dman. I was hoping Eberle+ would help us in that case but I guess not

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not a fan of the player at all, so I am not excited by this. This has been an extremely disappointing offseason so far. However, I am not a GM and Chiarelli has done a good job so far. I guess we wait and see.

Chiarelli's done with making big splashes. I was hoping maybe we would make a trade for someone like Barrie as our final big move, but I think that's over with. Cap management dominates our philosophy now, and that's what this Gryba signing is about.

I like the player okay though. As a 6/7 option, he's good to have if you are up against a physical opponent.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Might have to pony up for Stone or be forced to trade RNH to bring in a top 4 dman. I was hoping Eberle+ would help us in that case but I guess not

I'm hoping a stopgap is brought in to plug Sekera's absence...

I guess, one more injury to Draisaitl or McDavid it's the same thing. It's still barely the offseason, a lot can still happen.

McDavid is the only injury up front the Oilers would not be able to overcome. While I don't think the Oilers are that deep up front, the defense is still an issue that needs to be resolved going forward. Klefbom has had injury issues forever and this was finally his first full, healthy year. I really hope he keeps that up. I have no problem with Gryba as a #7 but he should not be in the lineup opening night.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Garbage player. Garbage contract in the sense that he has one. And at 2 years? Even if he does end up in the AHL he'll just be taking time from prospects.

What do you expect from No.7 defenseman? He's fine in that role and you are not going to get a much better player to ride the pine for 900k.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Rather have Oesterle or Davidson in the #7 role but I suspect Gryba was signed for the grit/size/lockerroom factor.

$900K is fine because it can be buried, but we really need to find a better option.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Garbage player. Garbage contract in the sense that he has one. And at 2 years? Even if he does end up in the AHL he'll just be taking time from prospects.
When he got waived last year I think he just stayed up with the Oilers. He didn't play a game for the Condors.

This seems like the Eric Boulton contract with the Islanders where he gets paid to hang around with the team because Tavares and the players like him, except Gryba will actually play some games for the Oilers. He won't be taking time from the young guys in Bakersfield if/when he gets waived, imo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad