Confirmed with Link: Gryba 2 years @ 900k

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010
Can't make an outlet pass to save his life either. Just rim it around the boards.

The one thing I really hate about this signing is that we didn't get someone who could actually move the puck. Pittsburgh's defense in the playoffs was below average but everyone on that back-end could pass the puck well.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Chiarelli's done with making big splashes. I was hoping maybe we would make a trade for someone like Barrie as our final big move, but I think that's over with. Cap management dominates our philosophy now, and that's what this Gryba signing is about.

I like the player okay though. As a 6/7 option, he's good to have if you are up against a physical opponent.

Then we all better hope some of the young guys continue to progress, and there are no injuries. Because right now the Oilers are the exact same team as last season, minus Sekera, and that just wasn't good enough.

Maybe it's the right move, but it seems suspect. Again though, I am not Chiarelli, and Chiarelli has done well so far.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
At that price it a pretty tough to hate the deal. Like I have said before, I don't mind him as a #7, I would just prefer if he played less than 20 games for us this yr...

well with the sekera signing, our d depth is:
kelf/larsson
russell/benning
nurse/gryba

so gryba will most definitely be playing more than 20 games, just due to the sekera injury alone

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
yaP6fIG.gif

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
So much for Chia improving our defense this offseason. I see he's content with getting knocked out of the 2nd round next year when we still have the best player in the league on his ELC.

You hate Chia so much that you're bashing him for not improving our defence before free agency even starts? :help:

Lets see after July 1st when McDavid and Drai sign their extensions and our salary structure long-term is set, available cap room and available free agents before we even consider complaining about signing our 7th dman to a contract that in the long run effects the team in 0 ways

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
My problem with this signing would be if they expect Gryba to be the full time #6 until Sekera returns with Benning jumping up to the 2nd pairing.

I'm perfectly fine with Gryba as a #7/#8 who can jump up as an injury replacement short term but with Sekera likely out for a couple of months, it becomes problematic if Gryba is the replacement for that time period.

I'm a bit concerned that this is it for roster adds because of the unknown of the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts. Can't really do much until those numbers are known.

I think they either sign an UFA for the top 4 role or bring up Fayne as No.6. Gryba is No.7.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I like the signing. Gryba has his place on the team, and he can play it when he's called upon. No complaints here.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I really like this. Keep him very sheltered at low cash money. Good deal.

Maybe let him take a slapshot once or twice a season. I get the vibe that he's a good team guy

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't dislike Gryba... but I'd still like to see a better dman added to the top 6 to help cushion the 2-3 month blow that losing Sekera is going to cause.

At least re-sign Oesterle as he has some decent upside to keep developing into a little better puck-mover than Gryba will ever be.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The one thing I really hate about this signing is that we didn't get someone who could actually move the puck. Pittsburgh's defense in the playoffs was below average but everyone on that back-end could pass the puck well.

If signing a #7 defenceman inspires hate, you might want to take a step back and realize how little it matters.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
If he played for free, the price would be too steep for me, but hey, I'm not the GM. Best of luck on that signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad