OT: Grunkle Big's Bar & Lounge: The Gravity Falls Memorial Indoctrination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Tron?

tron.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
well I've done it. I'm back into playing League of Legends.

I am also optimistic for the new blade runner. I love Ryan Gosling.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Shake it off, Ogre.

I, uh... maybe kinda probably bought another guitar. But I NEED this one!

I'm done for at least a few months. Honest!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
An acoustic, this time! I mostly play electric and always have. So most of my gear is tailored towards that (and synthesizers). I have an old classical that I fixed up ages ago and have strummed around on for years to bang out ideas. And an old Yamaha steel string that I got from a friend for free that I frankly never much cared for but would keep around for coffee shop shows and whatnot. But I never had a "proper" acoustic that was mine.

So I bought a Guild.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...=b&network=g&gclid=CML5hLS8xNECFduCswodKFgGeA

She's a beaut. Made in China, sure. But that **** doesn't bother me. It isn't the 90s, anymore. Those guys can put together some extremely quality instruments, these days. And honestly a US-made acoustic is entirely too expensive for me to justify. Especially after having a few years of first-hand experience with instruments made from that part of the world and really liking what I've experienced.

I also like that it's an orchestra style body. Much more comfortable than a dreadnought without giving up much "oomph." Super slick player, too. Neck feels more like an electric than an acoustic.

EDIT: I spent literally over a half an hour looking over the thing with a very critical eye (and a good small flashlight). I couldn't find one flaw in the binding or the burst finish. The fretwork is immaculate (a rarity). I wish the gloss wasn't quite so heavy but that is a minor complaint. It's not like it's caked on like a Esteban, or something.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nice, Willy! I love Guilds and acoustics, though I'm pretty much a dedicated electric player myself. I've always wanted a vintage Guild 12 string to keep around the house for songwriting/the studio. Someday. :(

And good news on the frets- that's always the thing that every guitar maker ****s up, IMO. Even the expensive custom-shop ****.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh man... vintage Guilds are amazing. That's at least some of the reason I bought this one, actually. My buddy has an early 70s Guild dread that is just... incredible. Nicest playing/sounding acoustic I've ever strummed. And I've played plenty of Martins, Gibsons and Taylors. Hopefully mine can age into something close to that.

And that's the thing about acoustics... it takes them years to open up. This is likely the worst my guitar will ever sound so long as I take care of it. Which is nice since it's already very pleasing to the ear.

And yeah... I realize that fretwork is difficult. But man... why is that always a problem? I was fiddling with a 2000+ dollar Gibson LP the last time I was in the local shop and I felt like the fretwork was done by Edward Scissorhands. And that's on a "premium" instrument!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, tell me about it. I tried out a couple of the Fender MIA Jaguars/Jazzmasters when I was stateside and the necks were like railroad tracks. I hated them, and street on those is around $1800. I've even heard of people having problems with the Gibson / Fender custom shop stuff.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I've heard the same thing.

Frankly, I feel like QA on a lot of American-made instruments has slipped the last ten-ish years. Especially at Gibson. Who I hear is a total nightmare to work for. I feel like that kind of money for an electric guitar (a plank with a neck and electronics, essentially) is almost criminal, regardless.

In my experience... the "sweet spot" for buying a guitar is between 400 and 900 dollars. You should be able to find a great guitar in that range if you shop around and don't get hung up on the name on the headstock or where it happened to be made.

On the other hand... I would never judge if someone finds one they love and spend however much they want to on it. It's your money... enjoy it. I just don't think it's necessary to go out and spend that extra grand to get something of high quality.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I've heard the same thing.

Frankly, I feel like QA on a lot of American-made instruments has slipped the last ten-ish years. Especially at Gibson. Who I hear is a total nightmare to work for. I feel like that kind of money for an electric guitar (a plank with a neck and electronics, essentially) is almost criminal, regardless.

In my experience... the "sweet spot" for buying a guitar is between 400 and 900 dollars. You should be able to find a great guitar in that range if you shop around and don't get hung up on the name on the headstock or where it happened to be made.

On the other hand... I would never judge if someone finds one they love and spend however much they want to on it. It's your money... enjoy it. I just don't think it's necessary to go out and spend that extra grand to get something of high quality.

I'm perfectly happy with my MIJ Jazzmaster and my hacked together MIA parts-Jaguar, both of which I've only invested about $800 each in. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm perfectly happy with my MIJ Jazzmaster and my hacked together MIA parts-Jaguar, both of which I've only invested about $800 each in. :laugh:

Oh man... not much better than a well set up and upgraded Jazz/Jag. Every one I've played stock seems to hate me, though.

My second favorite player is the tele I just got. And it's close to my LP. The reason I mention that is that it's a Squier Classic Vibe tele. Not a Fender. And I got it used for 300 bucks. So... money isn't a requirement for an awesome instrument. It just somewhat helps the odds of finding one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad