News Article: Grubauer a Vezina Finalist

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I mean yeah, presidents trophy winning goalie on a team who struggled for a backup. Definitely worth a nod.

MAF and Lehner already got the Jennings though and Vasi is still Vasi. So I think Gru will unfortunately not win in the end.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The only saving grace here might be the flat cap and it causing players salaries a little lower than normal. IMO, Gru would have easily gotten $7M aav or more on the open market if this was 2+ years ago, but now that number might not get there because of the flat cap.

Same can be said about Landy, who would have probably gotten over $8M, but now that number will probably top out around $7M.

We can also hope they see what's here and the chance at winning multiple cups if they stay and take a little less to help facilitate signing other players. In Landy's case I can see that, but I feel Gru will chase the $, especially because this might be his only chance at a big number at 7 years.

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I think the odds were always long that Saad was staying beyond this year. It sucks because I think he's fit in FANTASTICALLY, and would absolutely sign him to a long-ish (like 4-5 years) deal at 5M or so...but I think he'll have higher offers in the summer. Maybe the Avs get him to stick around, but the odds that happens are VERY unlikely.
I hope we trade Kadri to free up money for Saad and Newhook takes over for him while still on his ETC. Then EJ retires and we pay Grub. Loose Dong and JTC. Ranta fills one of those spots. Things like that have to work out if we want to stay competitive in the way Pittsburg did the years around their back to back. Even if we don't win it all.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I mean yeah, presidents trophy winning goalie on a team who struggled for a backup. Definitely worth a nod.

MAF and Lehner already got the Jennings though and Vasi is still Vasi. So I think Gru will unfortunately not win in the end.
More like fortunately.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Hell of a year. He's playing like he has a chip on his shoulder, you can just feel that he wants to be the guy to lead his team to a cup.

Reactions: Leon der Profi

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Saros was phenomenal the last part of the season, but he wasn't better than Grubi for the whole season. If I was voting, I'd have a tough time between Vasi and Grubi. I think those are the top two goalies this year. That said, I think Fleury wins it as a career send off, feel good award.
I'm going to have to disagree with that, Saros was by far away the best goaler in the entire league. If Saros wasn't on Nashville, they would be picking in the top 5 he covered that MANY mistakes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm going to have to disagree with that, Saros was by far away the best goaler in the entire league. If Saros wasn't on Nashville, they would be picking in the top 5 he covered that MANY mistakes.

Saros was pretty brutal for the first month of the season. He cranked it up in March and April, but was bad in January and for most of Feb. From Feb 27 to the end of the season, he was arguably the best in the league... prior to that, he was arguably the worst starter in the NHL. Not hyperbole... he had Matt Murray/Martin Jones type numbers.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Keep it low 6 to 6.5 and 6 years or less should be fine

assuming he keeps up somewhat similar level play through the playoffs

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Grubauer in the playoffs:
  • 5-0
  • 0.941 sv% (2nd behind only Hellebuyck)
  • 1.60 GAA (tied-1st)
  • 2.74 GSAA (4th)
  • .889 HDSV% (2nd)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Saros was pretty brutal for the first month of the season. He cranked it up in March and April, but was bad in January and for most of Feb. From Feb 27 to the end of the season, he was arguably the best in the league... prior to that, he was arguably the worst starter in the NHL. Not hyperbole... he had Matt Murray/Martin Jones type numbers.
I think Nashville themselves had a really slow start and deserved the negativity they were getting. I am not in disagreement with you here, but even with that said I don't think any of the goalers this year had great yet consistent season. Fleury was probably the most consistent and if that's how you should vote for in the Vezina, then he should win because Vasilevskiy had his struggles to close off the season as well. Now with that said, even with the slow start I still argue that Saros was by far the best goaler in the league. If you take Vasilevskiy off of Tampa, they'll still make the playoffs due to talent alone (even if McElhinney is brutal). If you take Fleury off of Vegas they still have talent with Lehner, so that isn't a huge loss by any stretch of the imagination. When Grubs went down to injury it showed how bad our goaltending was even though - we like the Lightning - had the talent to overcome those issues to a certain degree. If Nashville lost Saros, not only would they have not made the playoffs, they would be in the top 5 because Rinne was at McElhinney's level this season.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I think Nashville themselves had a really slow start and deserved the negativity they were getting. I am not in disagreement with you here, but even with that said I don't think any of the goalers this year had great yet consistent season. Fleury was probably the most consistent and if that's how you should vote for in the Vezina, then he should win because Vasilevskiy had his struggles to close off the season as well. Now with that said, even with the slow start I still argue that Saros was by far the best goaler in the league. If you take Vasilevskiy off of Tampa, they'll still make the playoffs due to talent alone (even if McElhinney is brutal). If you take Fleury off of Vegas they still have talent with Lehner, so that isn't a huge loss by any stretch of the imagination. When Grubs went down to injury it showed how bad our goaltending was even though - we like the Lightning - had the talent to overcome those issues to a certain degree. If Nashville lost Saros, not only would they have not made the playoffs, they would be in the top 5 because Rinne was at McElhinney's level this season.

Maybe that’s more MVP considerations than Vezina you’re talking about

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t think a goalie has to be the most consistent, but they can’t be brutal… bottom of the league bad for a month of the season. I also think it is disingenuous to make it about most important goalies. It is the most outstanding goalies. MAF having Lehner behind him shouldn’t have an impact on if MAF is the most outstanding goalie. I’d argue Grubi is the most valuable goalie to his team because of who the Avs behind him, but he’s not the most outstanding goalie.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Ohhhh no, that's not true--Henchy pointed out not that long ago that Tampa depends very heavily on Vasilevskiy to bail them out regularly. They're not an elite defensive team per se, and they have some serious depth issues, not to mention the fact they take a shit-ton of penalties.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I think the odds were always long that Saad was staying beyond this year. It sucks because I think he's fit in FANTASTICALLY, and would absolutely sign him to a long-ish (like 4-5 years) deal at 5M or so...but I think he'll have higher offers in the summer. Maybe the Avs get him to stick around, but the odds that happens are VERY unlikely.

I find it interesting that any announcer or journalist who speaks of Saad speaks of chemistry. He has chemistry with Kadri and Burky. He has chemistry with Jost and Nuke. Now, I think it is clear that I am one 0f Kadri's biggest fans on this forum. But at a certain time, we must consider that Saad's chemistry is worth mote than Kadri's skill. Newhook might be able to grow into a 2C. I like what I see thus far. 'NewJost' might be able to adequately hold the reigns at 2C until Newhook is ready. But I seriously wonder if NewJost and ChemistrySaad are not a better option than Kadri and substitute winger. Saad stated very early that he was hoping to not be a rental, and be invited back. If he plays his cards right and takes a haircut, he might get his name on a certain trophy 2 or 3 times.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Congrats Gru, well deserved!

Please just sign him, we already have questions at other positions and a stable presence in net is not easy to find. He may come down a bit next year but you know what to expect of him from a nightly basis. Move middling pieces if we have to, to make it work. 6.25x5 please, and if he does move on for the love of god find a way to get Gibson.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

To me, this is the intangible that puts a hole in Grubi's candidacy. Saros, Fleury and Vasi all have highlight reels full of examples of them absolutely saving their team's bacon. Grubi? Not so much. To me, the Vezina should go to the guy who did the superhuman to carry his team on his shoulders. I would say that order is Saros > Fleury > Vasi > Grubi. Grubauer ended up 8th in the league in Save%. Grubi had a very good season. However, I don't think it was Vezina-worthy, nor do I think he is worth $6M to $7M. That is a whole other salary buried in the package for a good, not great, goalie. The defense next year looks pretty good with Makar / Toews, Girard/Byrum, and Graves /Timmins (hopefully with Helleson waiting in the wings.) That group has / will protect any quality goalie.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Grubauer wins the cup, even if he doesn't win the Vezina but just to be a finalist and the cup is gonna sky rocket his value. If he doesn't win the cup, value is still high but maybe not that high

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It really doesn't make sense to commit to anyone besides Landy and Makar this off-season.

Gru is a great goalie for us. But the Avs can win games with backups. They don't need a great goalie, they need a technically strong goalie that can hold it together in the playoffs. Chris Osgood.

I have a feeling there's going to be too many good players wanting money during a flat cap to really lose everyone. Gru might sign on around 5-6 for a couple years. Saad perhaps. Etc. Short term as high dollars as we can give people outside Landy and Makar.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It really doesn't make sense to commit to anyone besides Landy and Makar this off-season.

Gru is a great goalie for us. But the Avs can win games with backups. They don't need a great goalie, they need a technically strong goalie that can hold it together in the playoffs. Chris Osgood.

I have a feeling there's going to be too many good players wanting money during a flat cap to really lose everyone. Gru might sign on around 5-6 for a couple years. Saad perhaps. Etc. Short term as high dollars as we can give people outside Landy and Makar.
The Avs are in their contention window now, so it would be smarter to try to keep the AAV down on contracts even if it means giving an extra year. Especially for Landeskog for example, giving him extra term could lower the caphit pretty significantly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Going into next season as a legit cup contending team without a solid starter is about as risky of move as there is in the NHL. If this was 2 years ago… sure why the hell not? In the prime window that could be closing with MacK’s contract… absolutely the hell no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad