News Article: Grubauer a Vezina Finalist

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The Avs are in their contention window now, so it would be smarter to try to keep the AAV down on contracts even if it means giving an extra year. Especially for Landeskog for example, giving him extra term could lower the caphit pretty significantly.

Completely agree, Landy and Makar you do what you gotta do to get the best contracts you can. But I think Gru isn't essential here, we can't afford to lose him short term, but we can't afford to commit too long as well. Goalies are too fickle, next thing you know he'll be injured year 3 onward and be a boat anchor.

So my hope is we can pay Gru more for short term and use flexibility gained by other contracts.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Late to the conversation but I know everyone is just ragging on Grubauer being a finalist. Kind of hurts me to see a lot of outstanding goalie evaluators just dismissing him out of hand. Look I can agree with the sentiment that the NHL GM's voting on the Vezina for some reason completely disregard the immense amount of goalie data at their disposal and just focus on wins. Usually I'm pretty hard on Grubauer (and to be honest I'm still not sure if I'd either re-sign him or what would be my limit) however he has earned this nomination. Even with Clear Sight Analytics entering the foray and InGoal Mag having the connections they have to those numbers I believe we're seeing an "easy route" being taken to evaluate the numbers. We're looking at goalie numbers like we look at skaters numbers, specifically in a cumulative view (GSAx could be considered the same as points). The problem with this is that goalies can only handle what they are given by their defense and the opposing teams offense.

Where I believe we should be looking towards in terms of goalie evaluation is consistency. Now we have QS% which is simply how many starts does a goalie manage to post a SV% league average or higher. I personally have gone a step further and combined the idea of QS% with (the only public data I have access to) Natural Stat Trick's xGA model. So instead of it being post a SV% above league average it's have a GSAx equal or over 0. I've found that a team wins ~73% of the time when their starting goalie posts a GSAxQS and wins ~29% when they don't. So consistently posting a GSAxQS gives your team a pretty big chance at winning whereas not forces your team to really come out swinging offensively.

Now what does this mean for Grubauer, MAF, Vasi? Well Grubauer lead the way among all NHL goalies (that actually started more than 10 games) in GSAxQS% at 0.697, MAF a hair behind at 0.694 and then Vasi at 0.561. Now the next argument is that Grubauer had the easier workload. Going by xGA/60 this is true as Gru was at ~2, Vasi ~2.3, and MAF ~2.4 xGA/60 (~2.4 being the league average). This is where Gru is actually at a disadvantage. Gru doesn't have the same margin of error that MAF or Vasi does to have big cumulative stats like they do. And to show just how thin that margin of error is the average NHL goalie seeing MAF's workload puts up a 0.493, an average goalie in Vasi's situation puts up a 0.481 and the average goalie in Gru's situation...puts up a 0.435.

By all metrics MAF deserves this one (though I'll still contend this doesn't push him into the HHOF). However Gru has earned this top 3 nomination. He did exactly what a goalie is supposed to do, provide their team with the best chance to win every night. No goalie did it to the extent that Gru did.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
@Gigantor The Goalie Thanks man, I really do appreciate it when one of you stat whackers actually convert some of those mathematical symbols into actual f***ing English. It's so refreshing when I can actually read a post of length like this one and come away smarter for having done so and actually have been able to understand it. Wish I could like it a second time.

As for the award, I think it's nice to see Gru get some love. It is well deserved.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's too bad you can't factor in performance in the playoffs for the Vezina.

I didn't think Grubi necessarily had the best regular season of the three, I think that was probably Vasilevskiy, but I think with how tight this series is with Vegas, the winner probably should get the edge in the Vezina voting, and there's a good chance the winner will have to face Tampa too.

Goaltending is even more important in the playoffs and relies on some of the most important traits for goalies like focus and mental toughness.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Congrats to his agent, Allain Roy.

373.jpg

Well played Allain, you sly devil.

You got somebody to pay your client $35,400,000 based on this.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad