World Cup: Group F: Sweden vs. South Korea, 6/18/2018

Result?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry, this argument is truly weak. We are talking about a game here in which Sweden only beat S.Korea by the narrowest margin, and on a penalty shot. Sweden is the team that beat Italy to get here. So who exactly is the team that should be here instead of South Korea? Where are the games with the "top" teams blowing out the "minnows" like people always complain about in the hockey World Championships?

This sounds as if its written by somebody that does not follow Football. The scoreline does not always reflect the run of play. Clearly there was appreciable difference between the quality of play of Sweden vs Korea. Only the Korean goalie kept the game close.

Speaking of weak arguments do you actually think that Italy or the Netherlands would fail to beat Korea at WC?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol, now who doesn't follow football? Of course. Did you watch Italy or the Netherlands in qualifying?? A team is not its trophy cabinet

The qualifying groups of course impact outcomes and which Euro countries get in. Do you honestly think the groups were equal. Italy lost one match in group, to Spain, the only game they lost in group. They even beat Spain once in qualifying.

Netherlands played in a difficult group with France.

I could see your argument potentially with Netherlands but not with Italy. Still, both are better sides than Korea.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The qualifying groups of course impact outcomes and which Euro countries get in. Do you honestly think the groups were equal. Italy lost one match in group, to Spain, the only game they lost in group. They even beat Spain once in qualifying.

Netherlands played in a difficult group with France.

I could see your argument potentially with Netherlands but not with Italy. Still, both are better sides than Korea.

Korea won every single game in qualifying, tied with Japan for best goal differential of +27 and not conceding a single goal. So it would seem what you are proposing is that no Asian team go to the World Cup. What kind of World Cup would that be, really? Should it just be UEFA and CONMEBOL, then let the rest of the world play off for 1 or 2 pity spots? And though I mentioned it already, Italy failed to get past Sweden. The deficiencies of their team this cycle have been well documented. The fact of the matter is that the differences between teams are much smaller than they used to be, and while it may bother people who have been benefitting from their head start to date, at the end of the day it is good for the sport.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
This sounds as if its written by somebody that does not follow Football. The scoreline does not always reflect the run of play. Clearly there was appreciable difference between the quality of play of Sweden vs Korea. Only the Korean goalie kept the game close.

Speaking of weak arguments do you actually think that Italy or the Netherlands would fail to beat Korea at WC?

That's wrong, too, and you clearly have no grasp of the Korean offense, which included Son Heung-min and Hwang Ee-Chan sprinting towards the Swedish net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's wrong, too, and you clearly have no grasp of the Korean offense, which included Son Heung-min and Hwang Ee-Chan sprinting towards the Swedish net.
Korean offense? Where was that. The only thing offensive was how poor the quality of play was and that club at the WC was playing longball circa 2018 and unable even to make those passes. Being that the game was not entertaining, and everybody in the game thread agreed, I may have missed 1 or 2 times where Korea were competent offensively.

What I know from the first game is not to waste even 10 mins watching the Korea club again. But being a Germany fan I might have to view their cynical play again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad