World Cup: Group F: South Korea vs. Germany, Mexico vs. Sweden; 6/27/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The fans were mostly there to support the team, as far as I saw. Red cards would have been nice.

From what I saw, it was mostly families with children. It's summer and school is out now. From what I hear only Reus bothered to actually go to them to write autographs and take photos, everyone else sped off in limos with tinted windows.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Zu viel Gemütlichkeit.

Do you read the german press? Cause that is not a word I would use to describe the treatment of this team basically since the Confed Cup & U21s ended last summer lol.

They were getting shit on even before Erdogate gave the far right a reason to pitch about the teams inclusivity

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Do you read the german press? Cause that is not a word I would use to describe the treatment of this team basically since the Confed Cup & U21s ended last summer lol.

They were getting **** on even before Erdogate gave the far right a reason to pitch about the teams inclusivity

I was making a joke about the fans at the airport.

People were concerned going into this tournament (including myself) because they were not on form recently.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I disagree it was overrated, however it hid the rest of the tournament where Germany was hardly dominant.
They looked great blowing out Portugal in the first game, then couldn't beat Ghana, barely beat the US, were lucky to beat Algeria, barely got past Belgium and then in the final needed OT and Higuain missing a glorious chance to win the WC.
That's not dominance at all, and lucky wins/draws in 5 of 7 games.

That's not a critic, I've always said France played like **** and were lucky to win WC98 for instance, but it was presented way too much as Germany rolling over everyone because of that semi final.

I think that when you factor in everything, putting the match into context, Germany's performance and role in the result is overstated. Brazil played a big part in that, which isn't Germany's fault mind you. The rest I agree with.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyway, I'm not here to gloat or celebrate like some.

I don't know, I think you are.

Not to mention this sly little nugget from 4 years ago which has nothing to do at all with this tournament and the game against South Korea.

les Habs said:
Granted it was four years ago, but I still think their performance against Brazil in the last World Cup was overrated on this forum.

Granted, but I'm going to say it anyway?

This might be the most ridiculous thing I've read on this Soccer forum.

Germany, now 5-13-5 against Brazil all-time, plays against them as the HOST NATION, in their own STADIUM, in front of almost 100,000 of their OWN FANS and humiliates them to the tune of SEVEN to ONE, in the SEMI-FINALS of the World Cup.

BRAZIL.

HOST NATION.

SEMI-FINALS.

SEVEN to ONE.

SEVEN goals.

Brazilian newspapers greeted the result with headlines such as "The Biggest Shame in History" (Lance!), a "Historical humiliation" (Folha de S.Paulo) and "Brazil is slain" (O Globo). German paper Bild heralded the "7–1 Madness" by the "Lightning DFB team". The French L'Équipe simply said, "Le Désastre" (The Disaster).[85] Writing for Sky Sports, Matthew Stanger described the game as the "ultimate embarrassment",[86] while Miguel Delaney of ESPN referred to the match as the Mineirazo, echoing the term invented for the event by the South American Spanish language press.[87]

Barney Ronay in The Guardian described it as "the most humiliating World Cup host nation defeat of all time",[88] and Joe Callaghan of The Independentdescribed it as "the darkest night in Brazil's footballing history".[89] Wyre Davies, the BBC's Rio de Janeiro correspondent, said of Brazilian's reactions at the stadium and fan parks that the "collective sense of shock, embarrassment and national humiliation across Brazil was impossible to ignore".[90] Football journalist Tim Vickery postulated that the result might be the catalyst for overdue reform of Brazilian club football, which in his opinion had become complacent in comparison to other countries, resting on the laurels of the national team's history of success. In his words, this was a chance to "recapture parts of its historic identity and reframe them in a modern, global context".[91] Reports had many comparisons with the Maracanazo that cost Brazil a title at home in 1950,[75] with the Brazilian media even considering that the 2014 defeat redeemed the 1950 squad.[77][92]

If it didn't matter, you wouldn't see the abject adulation that Brazil is feeling and has expressed repeatedly throughout a range of fora.

It mattered a great deal.

It's one of the most historic performances in the World Cup of all time.

Germany sucking in 2018 has nothing to do with that.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't know, I think you are.

Not to mention this sly little nugget from 4 years ago which has nothing to do at all with this tournament and the game against South Korea.

Granted, but I'm going to say it anyway?

This might be the most ridiculous thing I've read on this Soccer forum.

Germany, now 5-13-5 against Brazil all-time, plays against them as the HOST NATION, in their own STADIUM, in front of almost 100,000 of their OWN FANS and humiliates them to the tune of SEVEN to ONE, in the SEMI-FINALS of the World Cup.

BRAZIL.

HOST NATION.

SEMI-FINALS.

SEVEN to ONE.

SEVEN goals.

If it didn't matter, you wouldn't see the abject adulation that Brazil is feeling and has expressed repeatedly throughout a range of fora.

It mattered a great deal.

It's one of the most historic performances in the World Cup of all time.

Germany sucking in 2018 has nothing to do with that.

Look, I don't know what your problem is, but if you' think I'm here to gloat you're very mistaken. The only thing that would resemble that is my saying I think Germany were overrated coming in, and they were. That's still not me gloating because I feel no emotion about the result. If you want to see what gloating looks like, look at the rest of thread.

I didn't say it didn't matter. I very clearly referenced their performance. Look at the side they faced and look at that same side's performance. Germany played well and the scoreline is impressive, but that doesn't mean the performance matched the scoreline. The play of Brazil's lineup, which didn't include Thiago Silva or Neymar and which was poor enough then when you look at that attack much less if you think of it now, factored in notably to the result. And I'm not the only one who thinks Germany were overrated then.

Germany in 2018 has plenty to do with that when you look at the players that are still there and that were heralded at the time. Hence why I brought it up.

I get it, you're upset they're out. Still do us both a favor and actually read what you're quoting and respond accordingly.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Germany in 2018 has plenty to do with that when you look at the players that are still there and that were heralded at the time.

Four years later.

You think it's a massive coincidence that World Cup champions keep going out in the group stage?

Are you saying that 4 out of the last 5 World Cup champions were actually overrated all along?

As I said, you're trying to make an argument about 2014 based on data in 2018.

It doesn't work. I'm not buying this revisionist bullshit.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Four years later.

You think it's a massive coincidence that World Cup champions keep going out in the group stage?

As I said, you're trying to make an argument about 2014 based on data in 2018.

It doesn't work. I'm not buying it.

LOL. Nice edit.

I think they're different teams that have different reasons.

As you said is wrong like pretty much the rest of what you're posting. I'm to a degree making an argument about 2018 based on 2014 which has been incredibly obvious since the first post you referenced. Yeah, four years later and you've still got Ozil, Muller, Khedira, Hummels, Boateng, Neuer and of course Super Toni Kroos still featuring in the lineup, the majority of which are still major players for Germany.

That's great that you're not buying it. I'd prefer if that way. The moment you do I'll start to question myself. Considering your posting history on this part of the forum including on this one, you should keep the hypocritical revisionist remarks to yourself.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, four years later and you've still got Ozil, Muller, Khedira, Hummels, Boateng, Neuer and of course Super Toni Kroos still featuring in the lineup, the majority of which are still major players for Germany.

The fact that you minimize the impact of a four year span between tournaments so easily says more than my posting history ever could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad