Euro: Group F: Hungary vs. Portugal, 6/15/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This is the conversation i had with my dad uncle and cousin on sunday. The tactics were fine in 2016 when the skill level wasnt there but those tactics now with all the talent wont work. Santos is not the right manager for this group of players.
Santos blunder today was playing a very out of from Willis Carvalho today, but necessarily the setup IMO. I doubt Santos encouraged his players to shit the bed in the final 3rd ir out in a mostly lifeless effort.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How did Rafa win this game? He was turning the ball over and over the moment he sub on. If anything Renato had a bigger impact.
I think that’s fair. I liked how Rafa was pushing the pace up front and creating though

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Rewatching the highlights on this game, Portugal’s 3rd goal was a beauty and it was all Ronaldo with 3 different touches with two different players to one-two the ball in.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Cristiano Ronaldo still as good as anyone in the game, if that was in any doubt. Could do on his own what Lewandowski couldn't.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Except he was offside.
Clearly onside....
vjUbRmK.jpeg

Reactions: koyvoo

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Cristiano Ronaldo still as good as anyone in the game, if that was in any doubt. Could do on his own what Lewandowski couldn't.
Portugal currently plays a better, more focused and more direct game without him. He’s spent a lifetime proving people wrong though and he’s still as good an option as anyone they have to play target man.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Portugal currently plays a better, more focused and more direct game without him. He’s spent a lifetime proving people wrong though and he’s still as good an option as anyone they have to play target man.
Without him we dont need to play Santos' 4-4-2 that allows him to not run or cover defense. We play a 4-3-3 which suits the rest of the squad so much better.

Felix-A.Silva/Jota-Bernardo
Bruno Fernandes
Neves/Sanches/William/Danilo/Moutinho behind

Yet Ronaldo is by far our best finisher, still so insanely dangerous in any situation 30 yards and in from goal, and great link up play and brings out an old time dribble from his locker once in a while.

Frustrating we have this team and not him in his prime...he was too young for the Figo/Rui Costa/Deco/Carvalho/Miguel/Maniche/Pauleta Andrade generation, and too old for this one. Suffered 10 years of average teams around him bar 4/5 players.

Reactions: TheShape

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Without him we dont need to play Santos' 4-4-2 that allows him to not run or cover defense. We play a 4-3-3 which suits the rest of the squad so much better.

Felix-A.Silva/Jota-Bernardo
Bruno Fernandes
Neves/Sanches/William/Danilo/Moutinho behind

Yet Ronaldo is by far our best finisher, still so insanely dangerous in any situation 30 yards and in from goal, and great link up play and brings out an old time dribble from his locker once in a while.

Frustrating we have this team and not him in his prime...he was too young for the Figo/Rui Costa/Deco/Carvalho/Miguel/Maniche/Pauleta Andrade generation, and too old for this one. Suffered 10 years of average teams around him bar 4/5 players.
You don’t think Raul Meireles, Miguel Veloso and Hugo Almeida weren’t a good enough supporting cast through Ronaldo’s prime? :laugh:

It’s actually incredible that he kept qualifying them for tournaments during that era.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

As an XI sure, with him on the pitch everyone and their dog knows who the danger man is. But without him they don't have the quality to go far.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
As an XI sure, with him on the pitch everyone and their dog knows who the danger man is. But without him they don't have the quality to go far.
I think they’d still be among the favourites without him.

He’d be replaced by a guy who scored more than the much hailed Haaland in the same league. They still have more quality all over the pitch than most teams, even taking away a killer, but stagnant center forward.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Silva's time will come, but he also needs to use the limited minutes he's getting now. One goal since 2018 makes it too easy to keep it the way it is.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Portugal nearly had the same fate as Spain. Both teams similar in buildup. I don't understand the lineup decisions from Santos fielding two DMs, not necessary against Hungary but in the end the team was patient and got a big result. Portugal have the talent to play with anyone, I'm not a fan of the conservative style, it made sense in 2016, not so much now.

Bernardo Silva just doesn't seem to work on this squad, he seems redundant with Bruno Fernandes there.

I wonder if Santos rotates the squad as much as he did in Euro 2016.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
Do you have a moving picture?
Because the one I had on french TV clearly made him offside. Stills can be confusing.
No argument though that he's on side on that still.
upload_2021-6-16_2-5-12.png

Perfectly onside. On previous picture the ball is yet on foot, on this one the ball has been passed already. Ronaldo onside on both pictures.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Santos blunder today was playing a very out of from Willis Carvalho today, but necessarily the setup IMO. I doubt Santos encouraged his players to shit the bed in the final 3rd ir out in a mostly lifeless effort.

But can you be sure?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think they’d still be among the favourites without him.

He’d be replaced by a guy who scored more than the much hailed Haaland in the same league. They still have more quality all over the pitch than most teams, even taking away a killer, but stagnant center forward.

Yeah, he scored 1 more goal than Haaland in over 360 more minutes, not to mention he scored five more goals than Haaland from the spot. Great comparison.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
What about their quality of teammates?

If you really think I’m putting the players on the same level, I don’t know what to say. It was just an add on to my comment of Portugal playing a better game without Ronaldo, and that they’d still be among the favourites without him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
What about their quality of teammates?

If you really think I’m putting the players on the same level, I don’t know what to say. It was just an add on to my comment of Portugal playing a better game without Ronaldo, and that they’d still be among the favourites without him.

Eintracht were 4 points off of BVB in the same league. Haaland also scored more goals against better competition.

You can call it whatever you want, but it in no way reads as add on comment and it shockingly doesn’t put them on the same level either.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya, I just think that for whatever you consciously or subconsciously choose to interpret it in a way you could most easily pick it apart, with low hanging fruit mind you, and considering the chain of posts that led to, I don’t think most readers would’ve gone that route.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't have a problem with the number of teams with the WC expanding to 48 teams but you can't have a good tournament-format with that number of teams. Those three team groups suck big time.
Why can't you? They're playing what one extra game each against a team that probably absolutely loves being on this stage, with fans that would also be very proud to see their country in the Euro and get to probably see games against historically great nations with the ever present potential for an upset in international football? I think it's fine. Bring on more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad