Euro: Group F: Hungary vs. Portugal, 6/15/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This is a strange group. Hungary has two games in Budapest, one in Munich. Germany gets all three of theirs in Munich. Portugal and France have to keep traveling back and forth. Hungary is missing their best player too. Their government is also allowing 100% fans at Hungary's games. I don't know about the other one.

I think the final will be France vs. Portugal again, so yeah. That's how good I think Hungary's chances are here.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Massive massive blow to Portugal and our chances, huge loss.

The effect he had in essentially being another winger linking with Bernardo while he cut inside cannot be understated...he's top class and was a difference maker. Now we'll have a pylon in Nelson Semedo there.

No chance to win the tournament now, our right side will be ineffective.

Reactions: luiginb

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That’s funny.

I’ve read here multiple times that regardless of what players Portugal have or don’t have at their disposal, it doesn’t matter much as they have no chance with Santos in charge. The only manager who ever secured then a title coincidentally.

Now all of the sudden the tune is completely different and the loss of a star player could indeed have heavy influence on results? Very confusing contradictions.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
What I’m trying to understand is why he couldn’t self isolate and rejoin the squad for the knockouts, potentially.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
What I’m trying to understand is why he couldn’t self isolate and rejoin the squad for the knockouts, potentially.

Yeah I haven't seen any other players who tested positive sent home. Yet they decide to replace him immediately?

This has put a damper on the tournament for me. You wouldn't think a RB could be that big a deal but he was one of the players I was most looking forward to seeing and Portugal's fullbacks were an area they had a big advantage to other teams.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
That’s funny.

I’ve read here multiple times that regardless of what players Portugal have or don’t have at their disposal, it doesn’t matter much as they have no chance with Santos in charge. The only manager who ever secured then a title coincidentally.

Now all of the sudden the tune is completely different and the loss of a star player could indeed have heavy influence on results? Very confusing contradictions.
...?

You go from having a top class RB who was essentially the winger you needed when you dont have a natural one on the field in attack, to Nelson Semedo at RB.

Our first XI and 3/4 bench options made us candidates, unfortunately Ricardo isnt the same post injury otheriwse we'd still be ok.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Because he'd only be allowed to play by the 27th, and during that time if the other RB get's injured/suspended there would be no one to play there. Factor in fitness issues post covid...

Dalot was called because he was just in the U21 final last week, so still fairly fit (all be it partying in Dubai)...everyone else has been off for 3 weeks.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
As much as I like Cancelo, this wouldn't even be that bad if his replacement in the starting XI wasn't Nelson Semedo. Bleh.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I'm honestly fearing this:

1- We never perform when the weight of expectation of being one of the top 3/4 teams is thrust upon us ( 98 World Cup qualifying, 2002 debacle, 2004 vs Greece X2)

2- We're playing Hungary in Budapest with 60,000 plus home fans after a year of no fan support.

3- No Cancelo, who was integral to our chances. Our right side will be an authentic freaking highway.

I see a Fernando Santos special today coming right up, dropped points on top of a shit performance.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'm sure we all remember the amazing 2016 Euro match between these two teams, which ended 3-3. So Hungary has something to build on. That said, Portugal has never lost to Hungary in all of history. I could see this going to another 0-0 draw, but I'll be hoping for another high-scoring back-and-forth fun fest

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I've been hearing about the Szoboszlai kid for 2 years now, but I've never gotten to see him play, it seems he's always injured in big matches. Can't be good for his future career.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Euro 2004 was my first tourney where I watched every game obsessively while consuming copious amounts of popcorn and President's Choice coke. I remember being a young high-schooler with the summer off and seeing Ronaldo and Rooney take off.

Still don't like the guy but 5th Euro and still world class.....legend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad