Euro: Group F: Hungary vs. Portugal, 6/15/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Why can't you? They're playing what one extra game each against a team that probably absolutely loves being on this stage, with fans that would also be very proud to see their country in the Euro and get to probably see games against historically great nations with the ever present potential for an upset in international football? I think it's fine. Bring on more games.
32 was perfect, just getting to the World Cup should be a challenge and a feat.

Now we'll get 8 teams from Asia (lol) and 6 from Concacaf (lol) while Europe or Conmebal only get a handful more spots when they're far better.

It's idiotic and just a pure money grab by Infantino to garner support from those confederations whose spots increased substantially. Uzbekistan vs Solomon Islands or Oman vs Panama coming right up.

Should have stayed 32, end of.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
With Santos and his conservative negative tactics there was no question how we'd line up and play. Yet it really hinders our play as Bruno Fernandes isn't in his normal position to influence a game as much as he does for Manchester United, and Bernardo Silva is stapled outwide when he should be a CM who drifts wide instead like a Iniesta lite. Cancelo is a big loss as attacking wise he really is world class and Semedo didn't offer nearly as much..Cancelo really liberates Bernardo to drift inside constantly.

Starting two D-mids is so redundant in games like this, Bruno should have been further back with one of William/Danilo with Felix or Andre Silva starting and Bernardo more central. Heck, play Ruben Neves or Sanches who both can carry the ball forward and spread play positively.

We should have been 3/4 goals up by the half, and the game had the feel where we obviously would grow more frustrated and lose composure while Hungary grew into the game. Sanches absolutely changed the game when he came on, he's really carried over his form from Lille..and Rafa while being his usual inconsistent self had the pace and skill, not to mention BRAVERY to take on players 1 v 1 which we need now that we don't play with any wingers, Ronaldo is old, and Cancelo is out. That made a big difference as well.

Jota had a frustrating game, but he's been great for Portugal since his move to Liverpool, and his movement/pace will be important vs Germany.

Reactions: TheShape

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ya, I just think that for whatever you consciously or subconsciously choose to interpret it in a way you could most easily pick it apart, with low hanging fruit mind you, and considering the chain of posts that led to, I don’t think most readers would’ve gone that route.

Low hanging fruit because it's so easy to pick apart. The chain of posts that led to it say nothing. Including Haaland as you did was ridiculous as he's pretty much completely irrelevant to the chain of posts.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
32 was perfect, just getting to the World Cup should be a challenge and a feat.

Now we'll get 8 teams from Asia (lol) and 6 from Concacaf (lol) while Europe or Conmebal only get a handful more spots when they're far better.

It's idiotic and just a pure money grab by Infantino to garner support from those confederations whose spots increased substantially. Uzbekistan vs Solomon Islands or Oman vs Panama coming right up.

Should have stayed 32, end of.

I'm sure if you ask the extra teams getting to compete they're more than happy to be there. Is this inconveniencing anyone in any way? It's the World Cup, if more teams get to participate what's the issue? It does absolutely nothing to the integrity of the competition.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Low hanging fruit because it's so easy to pick apart. The chain of posts that led to it say nothing. Including Haaland as you did was ridiculous as he's pretty much completely irrelevant to the chain of posts.
The point is that for whatever reason (emotion) you choose to interpret the comment in a completely different way that it was meant. Cuz your fists are always clenched, buttercup. My wife and daughter can be the same way. You read my comment and choose to see me putting Silva on the same level as haaland. That’s what they do sometimes. Take things completely out of context, flailing and reaching for an advantage, with something irrelevant. Everyone else who read it, and read the chain of comments, knew exactly what I meant. On another, less emotionallly cribbed day, you’d know exactly what I was talking about. It was an adode to make a point on a completely different subject. Like, you want to try say that my point was to put the two players on the same level. That’s what you actually thought. Or, that’s what you really wanted me say. Lol.

Imagine for the rest of history anytime anyone menti-lhe that Silva scored more in 2020/21, it has to be qualified with a statement about how Silva isn’t on the same tier as haaland, for thinking people may confuse pointing out a recored stat with an opinion on who’s better.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The point is that for whatever reason (emotion) you choose to interpret the comment in a completely different way that it was meant. Cuz your fists are always clenched, buttercup. My wife and daughter can be the same way. You read my comment and choose to see me putting Silva on the same level as haaland. That’s what they do sometimes. Take things completely out of context, flailing and reaching for an advantage, with something irrelevant. Everyone else who read it, and read the chain of comments, knew exactly what I meant. On another, less emotionallly cribbed day, you’d know exactly what I was talking about. It was an adode to make a point on a completely different subject. Like, you want to try say that my point was to put the two players on the same level. That’s what you actually thought. Or, that’s what you really wanted me say. Lol.

Imagine for the rest of history anytime anyone menti-lhe that Silva scored more in 2020/21, it has to be qualified with a statement about how Silva isn’t on the same tier as haaland, for thinking people may confuse pointing out a recored stat with an opinion on who’s better.

Wow. Amazing post. Somehow I'm the one who had an "emotionallly cribbed day" and whose "fists are always clenched" and yet you post this. Speaks volumes really. Pretty clear who is clenched and I'm guessing it's not your fists. Then you go on to tell me what I thought and you can't even get that right. Nice touch with the wife and daughter btw.

Your post said what your post said. If you want it to read a certain way then actually write it that way. Bringing up Haaland is one thing, something completely unnecessary though, but writing it as you laughably did was entirely another. As for who is better, funny you mention it and yet you felt the need to go down the road of their respective teams.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wow. Amazing post. Somehow I'm the one who had an "emotionallly cribbed day" and whose "fists are always clenched" and yet you post this. Speaks volumes really. Pretty clear who is clenched and I'm guessing it's not your fists. Then you go on to tell me what I thought and you can't even get that right. Nice touch with the wife and daughter btw.

Your post said what your post said. If you want it to read a certain way then actually write it that way. Bringing up Haaland is one thing, something completely unnecessary though, but writing it as you laughably did was entirely another. As for who is better, funny you mention it and yet you felt the need to go down the road of their respective teams.
It was to say Ronaldo would be replaced by a guy who can score goals is all. Most posters read it that way. I brought an unnecessary qualifier about the quality of their teams sarcastically because you brought up qualifiers to show that Silva’s numbers aren’t better than Haaland’s which also was completely unnecessary as it was not a suggestion I was making (understood fully by most posters), and didn’t even have anything to do with the chain of posts.

Again, you choose to pull out of the whole conversation that I was suggesting that Silva is better?
If you want to say emotion played no part in thst opinion, fine by me. It was clear and logical thought.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It was to say Ronaldo would be replaced by a guy who can score goals is all. Most posters read it that way. I brought an unnecessary qualifier about the quality of their teams sarcastically because you brought up qualifiers to show that Silva’s numbers aren’t better than Haaland’s which also was completely unnecessary as it was not a suggestion I was making (understood fully by most posters), and didn’t even have anything to do with the chain of posts.

Again, you choose to pull out of the whole conversation that I was suggesting that Silva is better?
If you want to say emotion played no part in thst opinion, fine by me. It was clear and logical thought.

Even better. Gotta love this forum.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Even better. Gotta love this forum.
Just go look at your first reply to me. Look at tmrw or next week if you need to settle down. Pure venom and anger, for whatever reason, when you could’ve simply said “I hope your not putting Silva and Haaland in the same tier” or something along those lines, to which I could’ve clarified with something like “that’s not the point I was going for, no”. It’s like you just wanted to come at me. If you were patient, you could’ve found a much bigger flaw in one of my posts, I’m sure.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Just go look at your first reply to me. Look at tmrw or next week if you need to settle down. Pure venom and anger, for whatever reason, when you could’ve simply said “I hope your not putting Silva and Haaland in the same tier” or something along those lines, to which I could’ve clarified with something like “that’s not the point I was going for, no”. It’s like you just wanted to come at me. If you were patient, you could’ve found a much bigger flaw in one of my posts, I’m sure.

You're telling me to look at posts? Whatever gets you through the night.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yes, I suggested you look at your first reply to me in this conversation chain. Fine by me if you don’t. It’s there if you ever want to.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes, I suggested you look at your first reply to me in this conversation chain. Fine by me if you don’t. It’s there if you ever want to.

Why would I when I can just look at your posts which tell me what I think and mean? I mean all anyone needs to do is read your posts to know what they are thinking as is evidence by this thread.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why would I when I can just look at your posts which tell me what I think and mean? I mean all anyone needs to do is read your posts to know what they are thinking as is evidence by this thread.
Ya, that’s why 5-6 posters immediately took the same stance, and interpreted it how you did.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ya, that’s why 5-6 posters immediately took the same stance, and interpreted it how you did.

Clearly no one else did because you've said so how many times now? It's just amazing how you can read everyone's minds. It's like your AUI.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Clearly no one else did because you've said so how many times now? It's just amazing how you can read everyone's minds. It's like your AUI.
Actually one person did make a direct reply to the very post I made, and it was far from the stance you took, so that’s something to go by.

Hey, if you wanna go ahead and suggest I’m stupid because I feel Silva and Haaland are in the same tier of player, I’d happy for you to present me like that to anyone and everyone. It kind of proves my point.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Actually one person did make a direct reply to the very post I made, and it was far from the stance you took, so that’s something to go by.

Hey, if you wanna go ahead and suggest I’m stupid because I feel Silva and Haaland are in the same tier of player, I’d happy for you to present me like that to anyone and everyone. It kind of proves my point.

Well they didn't even reference it, so yeah, but that doesn't mean you're right. Amazing that even has to be said. Funny you're referencing one person when before it was "everyone".

I don't think you really have a point and you clearly can't even fathom what I'm saying, but then you seem incapable of actually taking words including your own for what they are and instead slap whatever thoughts you have in place of the actual words themselves. Have fun with that.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Post number 141 is a direct response to my post, and the poster replied in a way that suggest they understood exactly what I was implying. I feel most posters new exactly what I was implying, which was only that Ronaldo would be replaced by player who could score goals. That’s what the poster replied to.

Don’t worry about me having fun, a few of us are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad