Euro: Group F: Germany vs. Portugal, 6/19/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So would I, but I don't think my record the last number of years at other clubs is very good either.

Idk its what came up as recent news about Klinsmann when i typed his name into a search engine .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klinsmann did a good job with the US tbh. I had some issues with the comments he made over the course of his tenure, I didn't much care for the inconsistency, and I didn't really like him as a person either. But he brought a ton of players into the team and wasn't afraid to play young guys. I also liked that he found any player with American parents and tried to get them to play for the team. Those players were reflective of what was once the American way, and he's the reason the federation recruited some of these players in the years after he left. Sacking him also ensured we missed the World Cup.

The idea he should manage a club team though? Totally ridiculous. There's absolutely zero he's ever done to show that's a good idea. It would end very badly.

Reactions: cgf

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I laughed when I saw people claiming this German team is the weakest since 2000. It’s not as good as their WC winning squad in 2014 but this is still a very solid team. Whine all you want about the old crew, their defense is their weakness, but a midfield trio of Kroos/Goretzka-Kinmich-Gundugan is pretty darn impressive. Then you have Gnabry and Havertz up front who are both amazing young players with Muller who’s always money in this type of competition. The problem with this team is a slow defense + lack of pure no.9. I’d rather have Muller as a steiker than Gnabry. Gnabry looked very dangerous every time he played from the wing.

People are now getting to know Gosens. One of the most underrated players in the world.

Never bet against the germans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Love how the hivemind on this forum keeps crapping on Kroos, and statistically he's been Germany's second best player during this EC so far. Portugal, like City in the CL final, really missed Cancelo today. Gosens is awesome, so good going forward, it just goes to show how amazing Pavard is defensively for keeping him in check.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Love how the hivemind on this forum keeps crapping on Kroos, and statistically he's been Germany's second best player during this EC so far. Portugal, like City in the CL final, really missed Cancelo today. Gosens is awesome, so good going forward, it just goes to show how amazing Pavard is defensively for keeping him in check.

Yeah this was a game where Cancelo's absence really punished Portugal. Don't know how much he would have helped defensively, but Semedo was getting destroyed and hasn't provided much going forward. I don't think Guerreiro has played well either and a lot of people are calling for Nuno Mendes to start, which I agree with.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Low got this one over on Santos..The double D midfielders do very little when the issue was trying to deal with the German wings. Raph and Semedo got roasted.

This was a dominant German performance.. Portugal still have the threat going forward which will still scare whomever they play.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lies, damn lies & statistics, and all that.

Toni is still great with the ball, but the gaps he leaves in front of our vulnerable backline are just suicidal...and with Kimmich, Gundogan, Goretzka, & Neuhaus, we have enough talent at that spot that can trackback.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wonder if Süle gets a run next to Hummels & Ginter against Hungary. Rüdiger had the better club season but Süle has the better physical tools and plays at a higher level when he's on form...maybe having Mats there to do the thinking for him again makes things click?

Süle, Tah, Kehrer, & Torunarigha all failing to hit their full potential has really killed us. Just one of them having become good enough to anchor the backline would have changed things radically...especially with the WBs we've started to produce again.

Oh well, hopefully, our luck is better with Bella-Kotchap, Arrey-Mbi, Dardai, Mai, & Thiaw, and one of them gets there.

Last edited:

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
This game was a couple years in the making. You can only play so negatively and sit back so much until your luck runs out.

Santos stated he was ready for Germanys 3-4-3 and knew exactly how to counter. Yet we sat back and literally would aimlessly kick the ball out allowing them to drive at us in waves and pummel the bottom of the box to square it back, time and time again from Gosens/Kimmich. The D-mids were offering space in between the lines, William especially, and had us scrambling. Sure the players could individually perform better, but under Santos' direction of sitting back and absorbing pressure, Bernardo being stapled to the right side and not allowed to drift inside (with no support at all now Cancelo is out), Fernandes being played as some sort of false 9 hybrid instead of driving play forward through the middle...it's no wonder they're frustrated and our team looks fractured on the field. Pepe literally taking over RB duties and shushing Semedo out of the way those 20 minutes says it all, every goal originated on his side where he didn't cover his man or offered too much space.

A lot of this result is on Santos being completely out coached by Low, and his conservative dinosaur tactics finally being blown up in his face. France had their wake up call today and will come out flying, add on top of that their desire to exact retribution for the 2016 final, and our Euro is over. Sadly Santos will still be there.

It's not that we lost, its how we lost. We have the talent to take the game to the Germans and atleast go toe to goe with them, if we lose lets go out swinging playing some quality soccer, not playing cowardly like a God damn minnow.
As a Germany fan let me tell you this…

NOBODY GETS OUTCOACHED BY LOW!!!

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I remember Kroos being slower than the ref when chasing the ball and I am not too fond of ineffective 5 meter sideway passes. Which statistics?

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I remember Kroos being slower than the ref when chasing the ball and I am not too fond of ineffective 5 meter sideway passes. Which statistics?

I've been one of the loudest Kroos-complainers, but that's not really a fair description of his on-ball contributions. Like Hummels, he has been very helpful to our possession game with penetrating passes as well as secure recycling passes to push back pressers.

His play with the ball has been great...but with Hummels in the back 3, we just can't afford to leave one of the midfield spots ahead of the backline wide open to counters.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I watch Kroos weekly with Madrid, he's an absolute luxury player these days. The game is shifting to more energetic midfielders. His deliveries for set pieces are as good as any and as long as he's given time to pick out a pass he will be effective.

He definitely should never be your last mid back, offers next to nothing defensively and can't be arsed to backtrack most of the time.

Reactions: Tutu to and Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I've been one of the loudest Kroos-complainers, but that's not really a fair description of his on-ball contributions. Like Hummels, he has been very helpful to our possession game with penetrating passes as well as secure recycling passes to push back pressers.

His play with the ball has been great...but with Hummels in the back 3, we just can't afford to leave one of the midfield spots ahead of the backline wide open to counters.
That's not what I want from a quasi offensive midfielder. I want one who can make quick passes ahead to both sides, who goes one against one, who can at times support the strikers in the box, who is fast and not one who pulls the game apart and makes security passes, that can be done by the defensive midfielder or the wings or the central defense. Kroos is a total sleeping pill.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's not what I want from a quasi offensive midfielder. I want one who can make quick passes ahead to both sides, who goes one against one, who can at times support the strikers in the box, who is fast and not one who pulls the game apart and makes security passes, that can be done by the defensive midfielder or the wings or the central defense. Kroos is a total sleeping pill.

How many times did Pirlo beat guys one-on-one, or push into the box to support the strikers? How fast was he? What you're asking for just isn't Toni's game & never has been. He's a deep-lying playmaker at the 6/8, not a box-to-boxer or classic 10.

Reactions: luiginb

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
How many times did Pirlo beat guys one-on-one, or push into the box to support the strikers? How fast was he? What you're asking for just isn't Toni's game & never has been. He's a deep-lying playmaker at the 6/8, not a box-to-boxer or classic 10.
Yup, and I don't like it. Pirlo, at least, had magical feet. I don't see that from Kroos. Yesterday as well, Müller was more of a playmaker than Kroos. From someone that leaves holes in the defensive midfield, I expect more offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad