Euro: Group F: Germany vs. Portugal, 6/19/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Germany is technically the away team, but the game is in Munich and that's f***ing stupid. I fixed it. I expect Portugal won't make too many changes because there's no obvious reason they should, but in Germany's case it seems they should. Given the manager it's not certain they will though. They should have done it at the last World Cup, they didn't. They lose today and it's still unlikely Low will do anything. There's only so much a team can do when the manager is resistant to doing new things. It goes without saying I like Portugal's chances here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Here's to hoping Goretzka is fit enough to replace Kroos for game 2 since Jogi refuses to play Neuhaus :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing

Ideally...assuming LeGo is healthy for the next one since there was a buzz about him making it for this match until he failed his final fitness-test, but Hofmann still won't be...we'd play with a midfield trio ahead of the back-3; where Klostermann replaced Rüdiger:

Gnabry - Müller
Gosens - Gundogan - Goretzka - Kimmich
Neuhaus
Ginter - Hummels - Klostermann
Neuer
And against Hungary, we can go back to the 3-4-3/3-4-2-1, with:

Gnabry
Müller - Havertz
Gosens - Gundogan - Goretzka - Kimmich
Neuer
---------------------------------------------
Gnabry
Müller - Havertz
Gosens - Ilkay/LeGo - Kimmich - Hofmann
Neuer​

Last edited:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Don't know where all this belief that Portugal will win this is coming from. A Fernando Santos special is coming right up, guaranteed you'll see Danilo/William/Moutinho in midfield:laugh:, and we will play like Hungary with his negative tactics.

Also we haven't defeated Germany since Sergio Conceicao annihilated them in Euro 2000, which made Germany reflect and change their soccer grassroot development and led to their success the past couple decades.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jogi said Goretzka should be an option as the game goes on, implying he won't start. So I'm guessing it's the same lineup, give or take a Havertz-Sane swap.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't like this match-up for Germany.

No matter how much possession they get, I'm not sure if they'll be as lethal with the opportunities they earn as Portugal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't like this match-up for Germany.

No matter how much possession they get, I'm not sure if they'll be as lethal with the opportunities they earn as Portugal.

If we create more dangerous situations, we don't need to be as lethal with them...and I don't expect Portugal to cut out our attacks as well as France did.

Rewatching that match only reinforced for me how ridiculous that french defense is.

Reactions: NyQuil

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If it becomes a scoring competition it can go either way really, in any case I don't see Portugal keeping Germany scoreless.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm just miffed they play at 6. My offspring goes to bed between 6 and 7 and depending on how quickly he sleeps, I could miss substantial parts of the 2nd half....

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Don't know where all this belief that Portugal will win this is coming from. A Fernando Santos special is coming right up, guaranteed you'll see Danilo/William/Moutinho in midfield:laugh:, and we will play like Hungary with his negative tactics.

Also we haven't defeated Germany since Sergio Conceicao annihilated them in Euro 2000, which made Germany reflect and change their soccer grassroot development and led to their success the past couple decades.
Still having Conceição nightmares.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm just miffed they play at 6. My offspring goes to bed between 6 and 7 and depending on how quickly he sleeps, I could miss substamtial parts of the 2nd half....
Starts nice and early at 9 AM in Phoenix. Hopefully the kid tuckers out early.

As an aside I discovered what your avatar is today. My eyes were opened to a series of film that are little known in the US.

Reactions: Lauro and Eisen

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Still having Conceição nightmares.
I still have nightmares of you guys specifically targetting Paulo Ferriera playing leftback and launching everything in the air due to Ricardo in net:

LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf and Eisen

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tight game on paper, tight game on the pitch.
Could go either way really.
I'm thinking a Portugal win here, but with zero certainty.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jogi said that he is making some tactical changes because we have to generate more offense. Unfortunately he also said that tactical changes could be achieved with the same lineup & shape, and clarified that that meant there weren't necessarily going to be changes to the starting 11.

Which might be fine for this match as Portugal are dangerous on the counter, but they're not Mbappe-with-space-dangerous...though I'd still feel better if Goretzka, Neuhaus, or Hofmann replaced Kroos in the lineup, but w/e soon the nose-picker will be gone.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad