Euro: Group F: Germany vs. Portugal, 6/19/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think every German goal and a lot of chances came from the wing. They don't have the creativity (or rather coaching) to do it through the middle so you have to shut down their crosses which France did fairly well but Portugal did awfully.

Was nice to see Goretzka on late though and make a couple runs with the ball, hopefully if he's fit then we don't see both of Kroos/Gundogan start because there's no point of having them both on imo.
One of these is not like the other :laugh:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Obv Löw has his warts as a manager (and presumably on his arse), everyone in charge for so long will develop that. He always got over the top hate especially from Bayern fans though imo, since he hasn't deferred to them as much as they liked starting with the Lehmann-Kahn story when he was still assistant. I mean, loads of them absolutely hated his guts for sticking with Klose back when Gomez was banging them in for Bayern. Maybe I've been stuck in defense mode since.

While he is somewhat part of an old boys club with the men's national team, the rotten structures in the FA run wayyyy deeper than that. I'm not sure there's anything like it in sport. It's always been bad but nowadays the DFB is openly spitting on fans and shilling for billionaires. That house needs cleaning up.

The corrupt and inept DFB leadership and Löw are separate issues, but they're not totally unrelated because those DFB people were happy to let Jogi continue forever basically as he doesn't upset the apple cart. I think Löw's time has simply run its course. He's had his pros and he's had his cons. Squad selection has always been 'quirky' with Jogi and a lot of it always felt like cronyism. That's probably the main complaint. He's made his fair share of tactical errors over the years, but if we think back to the Völler, Ribbeck and Vogts years then Jogi has been obviously tactically considerably more open-minded and sophisticated. Overall Id call Jogi's tenure a 'mixed bag'.

Reactions: NyQuil and cgf

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That’s gonna be one pricey trip but have fun bud

Yep. Gonna fly through Istanbul to save money. And then if they set game ticket prices too high I’m not sure I’ll be able to do it. But in Russia they were cheap and this time they know they have to get a lot of people willing to fly there for games. So might not be too bad.

I don’t have Middle East phobia unlike so many other people so I think it would be fun.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yep. Gonna fly through Istanbul to save money. And then if they set game ticket prices too high I’m not sure I’ll be able to do it. But in Russia they were cheap and this time they know they have to get a lot of people willing to fly there for games. So might not be too bad.

I don’t have Middle East phobia unlike so many other people so I think it would be fun.
Honestly you got me thinking of making the trip loool.

Reactions: Live in the Now

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
The corrupt and inept DFB leadership and Löw are separate issues, but they're not totally unrelated because those DFB people were happy to let Jogi continue forever basically as he doesn't upset the apple cart. I think Löw's time has simply run its course. He's had his pros and he's had his cons. Squad selection has always been 'quirky' with Jogi and a lot of it always felt like cronyism. That's probably the main complaint. He's made his fair share of tactical errors over the years, but if we think back to the Völler, Ribbeck and Vogts years then Jogi has been obviously tactically considerably more open-minded and sophisticated. Overall Id call Jogi's tenure a 'mixed bag'.

Yeah I can go along with this. I do get that he's run his course. That said, I do think with a bit of separation, he'll be remembered more for his role in getting the NT back from the early 2000s hole and the world cup than his shortcomings, which have been focussed on for a while.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah I can go along with this. I do get that he's run his course. That said, I do think with a bit of separation, he'll be remembered more for his role in getting the NT back from the early 2000s hole and the world cup than his shortcomings, which have been focussed on for a while.

I tend to credit Klinsmann with injecting badly needed energy into the German side in the 2000s but perhaps that’s overstating it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I tend to credit Klinsmann with injecting badly needed energy into the German side in the 2000s but perhaps that’s overstating it.

Look at some of our rosters from the early 2000s...I think it was more on the talent coming from our rebuilt youth systems than either coach. With both I think it was moreso a case of not holding the talent back...at least until after 2014...than driving that change/progression.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

We've certainly had worse and if after 2014 he had passed the job off...especially if they could have found someone who was better able to balance a team that plays in possession without bogging down our attacks...I would be very supportive of his tenure; even with the way that he s*** the bed against Italy in 2012.

But unfortunately, these past 7 years did happen and they highlight shortcomings he had during his (generally) successful period of 2006-2014.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We've certainly had worse and if after 2014 he had passed the job off...especially if they could have found someone who was better able to balance a team that plays in possession without bogging down our attacks...I would be very supportive of his tenure; even with the way that he s*** the bed against Italy in 2012.

But unfortunately, these past 7 years did happen and they highlight shortcomings he had during his (generally) successful period of 2006-2014.

He should've left after 2016 or the very latest 2018 when most of the core from the 2014 winning squad aged out. Let someone else build the new squad. The generation from 2006-2016/18 was done ( for the most part ) and so should've been Löw

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He should've left after 2016 or the very latest 2018 when most of the core from the 2014 winning squad aged out. Let someone else build the new squad. The generation from 2006-2016/18 was done ( for the most part ) and so should've been Löw
Once he passed on "going out on a high note" he had to come back after 2016 to "solidify his legacy with his core"...and then he had to "redeem himself" after the WM.

In the process he's been a cycle or two slow to start transitioning to the younger players...and ironically a cycle slow to bring back a player like Müller after he had reinvented himself as a playmaker.

Since he would never be fired, 2014 was our chance.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Honestly you got me thinking of making the trip loool.

Yeah I wasn't thinking about going until I realized that the WC is basically in one city and someone could go to two games in a day. There is no time that will ever happen again. I think it'll be in UAE at some point but I'll be too old and the cities are way more far apart. Then I saw that WC group games last time were 105-210 bucks USD. Then I thought hey maybe I can do that. But they'll probably be even cheaper because people are scared of going to the Middle East for a lot of reasons that just don't really apply to me. The WC is going to be in the US but will I ever go to multiple games in a day? It's absolutely impossible. And then factor in there are some players I need to see live once in my life and it's just the best thing to do.

So 1000 for flight from LA to Istanbul to Doha, 2000 for games to be on the safe side, 1000 for hotel (this is actually probably too much), and then food and transportation. I think I can pull that off. I'm actually a little surprised more people out there in the world aren't talking about doing it.

Reactions: cgf

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Once he passed on "going out on a high note" he had to come back after 2016 to "solidify his legacy with his core"...and then he had to "redeem himself" after the WM.

In the process he's been a cycle or two slow to start transitioning to the younger players...and ironically a cycle slow to bring back a player like Müller after he had reinvented himself as a playmaker.

Since he would never be fired, 2014 was our chance.

He should've left when Schweinsteiger retired. Schweinsteiger was clearly what held that core together and kept some guys in line.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah I wasn't thinking about going until I realized that the WC is basically in one city and someone could go to two games in a day. There is no time that will ever happen again. I think it'll be in UAE at some point but I'll be too old and the cities are way more far apart. Then I saw that WC group games last time were 105-210 bucks USD. Then I thought hey maybe I can do that. But they'll probably be even cheaper because people are scared of going to the Middle East for a lot of reasons that just don't really apply to me. The WC is going to be in the US but will I ever go to multiple games in a day? It's absolutely impossible. And then factor in there are some players I need to see live once in my life and it's just the best thing to do.

So 1000 for flight from LA to Istanbul to Doha, 2000 for games to be on the safe side, 1000 for hotel, and then food and transportation. I think I can pull that off. I'm actually a little surprised more people out there in the world aren't talking about doing it.

I haven't looked at flights in a while, but I would think that's a lot from a pre-covid standpoint. I was looking at going to Dubai a couple of years ago and it was 600 something round trip. Overall I think it's a great idea, but part of it depends on how long you'd be going for with regards to what you'd need to budget for. If you're set on going might make sense to book well in advance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jurgen Klinsmann, ha

What's that guy up to these days?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I haven't looked at flights in a while, but I would think that's a lot from a pre-covid standpoint. I was looking at going to Dubai a couple of years ago and it was 600 something round trip. Overall I think it's a great idea, but part of it depends on how long you'd be going for with regards to what you'd need to budget for. If you're set on going might make sense to book well in advance.

They've jacked up pretty badly, but yeah, I'm going to book early. To Dubai they're a lot cheaper than Qatar, but I think the Qatar pricing may be covid related. If it's not then I'm going to have to route through another country. I saw that Toronto, Istanbul, Madrid, and London were commonly used for those routes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He should've left when Schweinsteiger retired. Schweinsteiger was clearly what held that core together and kept some guys in line.

I get why people point to the loss of Schweinsteiger, but I think that's just a convenient narrative. He was certainly a great leader during that WM run.

...but the complacency after 2014 came from the top-down and showed itself in things like our coaches stopping attending some of the biggest international conferences because they thought they had nothing more to learn; the staff not feeling the need to integrate any of the younger pieces or hungrier vets despite their showings at the confed cup & the dubious selection practices; the way Jogi set the team up & the lazy way they played; etc.

There was a way for a fresh coach to build off of 2014 and smooth the transition to the next generation...but no amount of rah-rah-rah from Basti was going to shift that when it was coming from the very top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad