Euro: Group D: England vs. Scotland, 6/18/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Phillips is the one who shouldn't have played. His inclusion is reflective of a rotten footballing culture where players on middling teams are idolized. I don't hate him or anything but it's absolutely ridiculous. He played great for one of the best managers in the world. That doesn't mean he should automatically be picked in their NT.
Yeah, I can accept dropping Phillips as well. They need a genuine creator outside of Foden at least. I would play Bellingham in place of Phillips and definately still not have Mount in the team. He’s more reliable when blocking space defensively than Mount, and is more of a #8.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Phillips is the one who shouldn't have played. His inclusion is reflective of a rotten footballing culture where players on middling teams are idolized. I don't hate him or anything but it's absolutely ridiculous. He played great for one of the best managers in the world. That doesn't mean he should automatically be picked in their NT.
Lol what footballing culture in England do you think players on "middling" teams (taking this to mean anyone outside the big 6) are idolized? If anything, the culture is the exact opposite where mediocre players are elevated because they play in a team that has name cache and can hide their warts.

And to add, Phillips is overrated as hell and it has nothing to do with where he plays. His one job today was to be a progressive player from midfield with Rice staying back and he couldn't even do that.

Reactions: luiginb

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Come on buddy. I get what you're saying, but if Mount ends up being "just" the new Milner, that will be a legitimate disappointment given his skill & intelligence...even if he still ends up being an important piece to an england team that eventually wins something.
A pure number 10 that has an underwhelming touch, doesn’t create at all outside of set pieces and scores a low number of goals isn’t a guy with high end ”skill and intelligence”. He ruins attacks multiple times every game because he has ridiculously bad vision and can’t make the right decisions with the ball. .

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Rice is the most overrated player in England. £80m? For what?

Sterling is the 2nd most overrated player in England.

Kane was anonymous...again

If you have a bunch of good players looking mediocre then maybe there's a common denominator. I still think it's the manager, people overanalyze stuff with confidence and whatnot....you just need a good coach and a good team at the end of the day.

Reece James is another example, tends to get diagonal curling crosses into the box a lot at Chelsea. He had at least two chances I counted in this game where he seemed to look up from the right side and there was no one in the box to cross to and no one making a hard run.

Really think it's a lack of an offensive gameplan and it's just 10 guys going at it individually, reminds me a bit of Germany under Low actually but with even less off-the-ball movement and slower passing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lol what footballing culture in England do you think players on "middling" teams (taking this to mean anyone outside the big 6)? If anything, the culture is the exact opposite where mediocre players are elevated because they play in a team that has name cache and can hide their warts.

That happens too. But why do you think Phillips is there? It's pretty much the exact same thing as what you just said, it isn't the opposite. Leeds and Bielsa have name cache. Bielsa has done an amazing job. Then they take a guy out of the team and try to put him in the NT. It doesn't go well.

I'm talking about their propensity to bring in and start straight up random players. They do it frequently.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Philipps was England's best player in the first game and the main reason they won.

So I really don't understand that opinion. Without him, they'd have 2 points in 2 games.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
FWIW I think the chances of them hiring Bielsa are very high if this goes badly.

Philipps was England's best player in the first game and the main reason they won.

So I really don't understand that opinion. Without him, they'd have 2 points in 2 games.

That's fair, but in this game against a team they know is going to defend a lot, it would have suited them to pick a different option.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I accidentally wrote Sterling. I edited the post now. I meant Grealish. Sterling absolutely isn’t a top creator.
Yeesh. At least I only campaign to have guys like Stindl & Kramer for depth/peripheral roles, not to build our attacking movements around them.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That happens too. But why do you think Phillips is there? It's pretty much the exact same thing as what you just said, it isn't the opposite. Leeds and Bielsa have name cache. Bielsa has done an amazing job. Then they take a guy out of the team and try to put him in the NT. It doesn't go well.

I'm talking about their propensity to bring in and start straight up random players. They do it frequently.
Eh, maybe. But I don't think on the continuum of things we both mentioned, yours is more prevalent that what I described (average players playing in big teams). And I don't really think it's close.

I also think Southgate is a moron that is doing nothing to help any of these players look good.

Reactions: luiginb

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A pure number 10 that has an underwhelming touch, doesn’t create at all outside of set pieces and scores a low number of goals isn’t a guy with high end ”skill and intelligence”. He ruins attacks multiple times every game because he has ridiculously bad vision and can’t make the right decisions with the ball. .
He's not a pure number 10 and is misused in that role.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That's kind of the problem. If Kalvin Phillips is bailing you out, things have gone very wrong in more important areas.

Reactions: Evilo

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeesh. At least I only campaign to have guys like Stindl & Kramer for depth/peripheral roles, not to build our attacking movements around them.
Grealish is an elite combinational player with world class creativity. 12 open play PL assists this season. He was better than KDB this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
FWIW I think the chances of them hiring Bielsa are very high if this goes badly.

Oh man, that would be one hell of a ticking time bomb. Potentially brilliant if their FA was willing to ignore the press & just ride with Bielsa...but that's not how it would actually play out.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Grealish is an elite combinational player with world class creativity. 12 open play PL assists this season. He was better than KDB this season.

I would play him and Sancho out wide, Foden in the middle instead of Phillips. Henderson is clearly not fit so no reason to have him in there but he would play over Mount if he was fit. But this will never happen.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I wonder what happened last time Bielsa coached a Nt lol. It would be so unlike him to take the job. Plus it wouldn’t sit right with me. Tbh

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
True, but now there's some pressure on them to win this last game...which is exactly what you want cause it means they're more likely to s*** the bed...whereas if they had 6 points and already beaten both Croatia & Scottland, there would be no pressure on them, especially playing with a B-team.
An under pressure England sounds terrifying to me.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad