Euro: Group D: England vs. Scotland, 6/18/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Southgate got a free pass because of the end results, but he was exposed at the WC numerous times. Drawn into a group with two shitty teams pretty much saved his hide straight away. They were strong defensively but they couldn't score to save their lives. It's really the exact same as here. And look how far they made it.

I'm rooting for them to crash & go after Bielsa. That'll either be fun to watch on the pitch, or fun to watch burn down in the press.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm rooting for them to crash & go after Bielsa. That'll either be fun to watch on the pitch, or fun to watch burn down in the press.

The good thing when you think about it is that they're playing better teams here, still playing the same way they did against Tunisia, and they still have four points. So this will be the justification to keep Southgate around longer and make everyone else happy. I'd be very surprised if they pulled some shit and lost to a team like Iceland again, so making the quarters might be enough for some people.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The good thing when you think about it is that they're playing better teams here, still playing the same way they did against Tunisia, and they still have four points. So this will be the justification to keep Southgate around longer and make everyone else happy. I'd be very surprised if they pulled some shit and lost to a team like Iceland again, so making the quarters might be enough for some people.
Meh, I'm bored of England sucking. I want them to get-good.

Especially with Flick coming in and us starting to produce FBs/WBs again.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I actually wonder if they're better suited to playing against better teams with this manager because they can sit back a bit like they do against the weaker ones anyways but get a chance to counter more and it allows individual skill to shine more rather than when the other team decides to force them to defend and exposes their incompetent possession play and inability to generate chances or movement from the central midfield (Phillips goal notwithstanding).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually wonder if they're better suited to playing against better teams with this manager because they can sit back a bit like they do against the weaker ones anyways but get a chance to counter more and it allows individual skill to shine more rather than when the other team decides to force them to defend and exposes their incompetent possession play and inability to generate chances or movement from the central midfield (Phillips goal notwithstanding).

The problem is they're not defensively secure enough to do what France did to us or Portugal did in 2016...and they don't break crisply enough to terrorize better teams on the break enough to compensate for a questionable defense.

Reactions: Blender

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Meh, I'm bored of England sucking. I want them to get-good.

Me too haha.

Tonight was all part of Southgate's masterplan to finish 2nd and avoid Group F in the next round. :sarcasm:

Really poor performance. Scotland played a lot closer to their best than England. We're still a QF team at best.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
England are a bit like the Leafs. You tend to think "man it'd be kinda cool for them to be good again", then you spend a brief time in company of their average fans and you regret ever harboring such thoughts.

(That in particular applies if you're a fan of a rival team of England where you know they would most definitely not be graceful about it).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
England are a bit like the Leafs. You tend to think "man it'd be kinda cool for them to be good again", then you spend a brief time in company of their average fans and you regret ever harboring such thoughts.

(That in particular applies if you're a fan of a rival team of England where you know they would most definitely not be graceful about it).

I dunno, I think it would make beating them fun again :naughty:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I dunno, I think it would make beating them fun again :naughty:

I think they're always good enough on paper to ensure that. Unfortunately, if we played them this tournament I would consider them favorites. And I guess if we did beat Portugal there'd be a pretty decent chance that's the Rd of 16 match-up. A qualifying 3rd place finish in the group would mean Holland or Belgium. Between Holland, Belgium and England I honestly don't know who I'd want.

I think it's hilarious that the 'reward' for drawing the by a million miles most difficult group is if you qualify as anything other than winner you get to play a semifinal quality opponent in the round of 16 while several other match-ups in that round will by default feature middling teams.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think they're always good enough on paper to ensure that. Unfortunately, if we played them this tournament I would consider them favorites. And I guess if we did beat Portugal there'd be a pretty decent chance that's the Rd of 16 match-up. A qualifying 3rd place finish in the group would mean Holland or Belgium. Between Holland, Belgium and England I honestly don't know who I'd want.

I think it's hilarious that the 'reward' for drawing the by a million miles most difficult group is if you qualify as anything other than winner you get to play a semifinal quality opponent in the round of 16 while several other match-ups in that round will by default feature middling teams.

I'd want Belgium least, and I think I'd rather face the English over the Dutch.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I remember reading this hot take before the tournament started, this is how delusional some of these so-called "experts" were about England.

Nesci: France vs. England - England wins. English supporters have been burned before, and that's created an understandable apprehension among large portions of the fan base going into just about every major tournament in recent history. But this edition of the Three Lions is for real. Gareth Southgate's team is loaded up front, features depth at the back, and has interchangeable pieces in midfield. There's the potential for an absolute gauntlet of opponents in the knockout stages, but there's no better way to silence doubters than running through contenders before closing things out with a victory over France at Wembley.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
At the last World Cup I realised the most enjoyment I would ever get from international football is from watching England lose - the later, the better. But of course I never want it to get that far.

f*** them ever being good. Embarrassing exits for as long as I'm alive please

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol England, but this shouldn't surprised anyone since this is England we're talking about here. Grealish should've absolutely started here, that's like the only bloke who isn't afraid of directly run the ball at defenders and make some dribbles happen. This Scottish team is really bad, bad result for England not even getting a goal or dangerous chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad