Euro: Group C: UKR vs. POL & GER vs. NIR, 6/21/2016

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You have Germany, Italy, France and England in one bracket...other teams are meh.

And potentially Switzerland/Poland, Spain, Wales and Hungary/Iceland/Portugal as "top teams" in the other bracket.

Such utter ********. Easy path for Spain.

Not the first time the Spanish profit from the easy path to the Final.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd love for Croatia to win today so we can really see some complaining when Poland/Switzerland/Croatia/Wales are playing in the final.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Missed most of the match.

How did Gomez look, aside from the goal? I liked this lineup the most.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'd love for Croatia to win today so we can really see some complaining when Poland/Switzerland/Croatia/Wales are playing in the final.

Would it really be any worse than the CL bracket with Bayern, Barca, Atletico, and Juve on one side?

He was pretty good I thought. Had a couple of other nice combinations with Müller. He missed one pretty open chance. He's in better form than pretty much every other German forward, too.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg

Gomez was quite active; he had some good chances (especially one header) and took part in a few combinations. German magazine SPIEGEL criticised him after the game, but I really don't know why. Like Bon Esprit already mentioned, it seemed as if Gomez often tied up two opponents and thus created space for others. Barring an injury and a surprisingly feared next opponent, it's safe to say that he will be back.

Gruß,
BSHH

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

He impressed me. Very active, some good link-up plays. Not everything worked, but he did add an element there that seemed to have a positive impact. Then again, the mere existence of Kimmich on the right side suddenly gave us two sides to play on, which opened up a lot of room, and Kimmich actually dared to put in crosses, and did well on them, which resulted in Müller and co going in for them again, as well. There was a lot more movement by the entire offensive cast to create options for the guys with the ball.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gomez was quite active; he had some good chances (especially one header) and took part in a few combinations. German magazine SPIEGEL criticised him after the game, but I really don't know why. Like Bon Esprit already mentioned, it seemed as if Gomez often tied up two opponents and thus created space for others. Barring an injury and a surprisingly feared next opponent, it's safe to say that he will be back.

Gruß,
BSHH
The criticism he got after Bayern lost the CL final against Chelsea told me all I needed to know from Bayern fans and most fans in Germany. Gomez can do no right, even when he's triple-teamed against a well-disciplined parked bus and delivery to him is non-existent - it's all his fault.

Also, Low is not exactly a great coach, I don't bet on Germany matches for this very reason.

He impressed me. Very active, some good link-up plays. Not everything worked, but he did add an element there that seemed to have a positive impact. Then again, the mere existence of Kimmich on the right side suddenly gave us two sides to play on, which opened up a lot of room, and Kimmich actually dared to put in crosses, and did well on them, which resulted in Müller and co going in for them again, as well. There was a lot more movement by the entire offensive cast to create options for the guys with the ball.
Glad to hear he impressed you.

Coming up, I'm afraid of Germany facing a good team and Low going all insane with his tactics and selection like last time against Italy. What a mess that was. Otherwise, this is pretty much the lineup I would go with - maybe switching Gotze for someone else. I did like Draxler out there, but I might be the only one.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Lewandowski has been great so far. Will he find the back of the net against Switzerland? It's not going to be easy, that's for sure.

And if you were Nawalka who would you start in goal, a tough decision to make. With Kapustka out, I suppose Zielinski might see action as a substitution.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany

No complaints here, that's how it works out if you're not winning your group. Could have been England and Spain here, but they where both not good enough to collect more points than Wales and Croatia over three games. So it's more or less their fault that Germany, Italy, Spain, France and England will all be on one side of the bracket.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No complaints here, that's how it works out if you're not winning your group. Could have been England and Spain here, but they where both not good enough to collect more points than Wales and Croatia over three games. So it's more or less their fault that Germany, Italy, Spain, France and England will all be on one side of the bracket.
Yup, agreed. In addition, England and Spain played like duds. It's only the name that makes it seemingly harder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad