Euro: Group C: Germany vs. Poland, 6/16/2016

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Kroos at Real didn't get along with Benitez at all IIRC so that for sure affected the better part of this season. I'd say internationally he's easily Germany's most influential player post-WC.

He *is* pulling the strings for Germany now and I think it hurts Germany significantly that he and Khedira are used as a double 6 when both have instincts better suited to roles other than that.

There tends to be a temptation to play players like Kroos (i.e. true central midfielders) or Khedira (i.e. box-to-box midfielders) as defensive midfielders because there's overlap and they are often more talented than genuine DMs but ironically both Khedira and Kroos would benefit from not partnering with each other but partnering with a legitimately more defensive player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Glad we held onto the draw. When Gomez came on n we stopped even trying to get into the box I started bracing for a late loss.

Poland played an excellent match, even if Milik's wastefulness cost them two points.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Agreed, Poland wins this game if Lewandowski has the chances that Milik absolutely wasted. He's still a good player, but was pretty pathetic today along with Groicki.

I was very impressed by Oezil, the dude just decides to show up for the German national team for some reason. Good for the German fans here, but he's still very much inconsistent at the domestic level. I highly doubt he moves from Arsenal, nor do I personally want him sold, but I am wondering if his career might reach high levels if he decided to move to a German club after London.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Interesting match despite the scoreline. Poland aren't a surprise considering some of the players in that team along with their qualifying record, but actually getting to see them in a match like this just adds to it. I thought they had the better chances and despite the possession numbers were the better side. Grosicki impressed me with some of his flashes. The Poles could go quite deep in this tournament. Against the Ukraine they really should keep both Lewandowski and Milik in the team to give them more time together.

If I'm Low I'm going to start Muller up top next match. Gotze just won't get it done and I think Muller needs to get closer to goal. I'm also starting Schurrle based on what he did in this match, which was more than a lot of other players did. Muller, Ozil, Draxler and Gotze didn't do much at all (though Muller put the work in on the defensive end). Germany could also do with someone other than Howedes on that right side, someone who can get forward more and who is better on the ball.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If I'm Low I'm going to start Muller up top next match. Gotze just won't get it done and I think Muller needs to get closer to goal. I'm also starting Schurrle based on what he did in this match, which was more than a lot of other players did. Muller, Ozil, Draxler and Gotze didn't do much at all (though Muller put the work in on the defensive end). Germany could also do with someone other than Howedes on that right side, someone who can get forward more and who is better on the ball.

Schürrle is far better as the guy off the bench in the 70th minute than he is as a starter. He's great at running at tired defenses, offering a sort of Plan B. He's a big energy boost late in games

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
You see the Kroos-Hector-Ozil effect on the left.

And the barren Khedira-Muller-Howedes zone.

At least put Mustafi there ffs - and I say this as a fan of Howedes.

You don't even need to include Hector in it. Focusing on the left side was absolutely an intentional decision by Jogi, even though there were more problems in possession than the first match. It also helped that Poland went through their right side, so if Germany recovered balls from pressing, they'd be more likely already to be on their left side.

RE: Pirlo, nobody treated him with any kind of reverence until he was 30 years old and the appreciation increased as he got older without his performance dropping at all. Kroos has forever and a day to get to that point. Moreover he'll never be the best player on his national team the way Pirlo was. It's the nature of the sport that he won't be seen the same way.

Kroos wouldn't be a star for every team in the world but there are only a few to which that wouldn't apply. I also think that he isn't as good now as he was when he was with Bayern. Goals have disappeared from his game as an example. He is a world class player though, top ten CM.

I'd say Kroos has a good argument for the best player for the national team. Top 5 midfielder is not a stretch, either. Few more well-rounded midfielders can impact the game as deeply as Kroos can with his passing alone. And most of the midfielders you might put ahead of him right now are also inconsistent.

Schürrle shouldn't be playing at all, and Jogi shouldn't overreact to one match when every other attacker on the roster bar Podolski has far more talent. For sure, adjustments need to be made. Götze's role has to change. I'd take off Draxler and add another midfielder, switching to a 4-3-3. Just leave a fluid Müller-Özil-Götze front three. Kroos had to do too much, moving to the far left - where the passing angles are far worse than in the center or the half space - just to support Hector when a long ball came to him. There's no point in having four attackers when none of them are occupying the half spaces properly, and they have such poor synergy. 4-3-3 should alleviate some of these particular issues, and the German team of course already knows how to play it well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'd say Kroos has a good argument for the best player for the national team. Top 5 midfielder is not a stretch, either. Few more well-rounded midfielders can impact the game as deeply as Kroos can with his passing alone. And most of the midfielders you might put ahead of him right now are also inconsistent.

Schürrle shouldn't be playing at all, and Jogi shouldn't overreact to one match when every other attacker on the roster bar Podolski has far more talent. For sure, adjustments need to be made. Götze's role has to change. I'd take off Draxler and add another midfielder, switching to a 4-3-3. Just leave a fluid Müller-Özil-Götze front three. Kroos had to do too much, moving to the far left - where the passing angles are far worse than in the center or the half space - just to support Hector when a long ball came to him. There's no point in having four attackers when none of them are occupying the half spaces properly, and they have such poor synergy. 4-3-3 should alleviate some of these particular issues, and the German team of course already knows how to play it well.

Top 5 midfielder is a stretch because he's not one. Again, the performances as of right now aren't warranting it. That can and should change over time, but that will likely be down to other players' performances as much as his own.

The Schurrle point was subject to the formation staying the same. And how many other players on the pitch against Poland were more talented yet their performances weren't as good? There's talent and then there's performance. Messi is the most talented player in the World but that doesn't mean that he can't be outperformed. Maybe Schurrle doesn't match his performance against Poland, but he did more in the 20 minutes or so he was on the pitch than a lot of the more talented players did combined.

Toni has somehow became under-rated, I see.

LOL. If by saying he's not a top 5 midfielder in the World right now, which he isn't, then yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad