GDT: Group C • April 30 • United States 5, Austria 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Jack Skille, where scoring chances go to die this game. That's been the story of this guy's career since leaving college. Poor guy.

EDIT: That was a good defensive play though or Skille would have buried that.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Very nice win. :handclap::handclap:

Other then the expected sloppy start, I thought we played pretty well. We had a bit of a rough stretch there in the 2nd when we took 3 straight penalties and gave up a lot of offensive zone time but other then the goal against we didn't give up much, if anything, during that stretch.

Top 2 lines had good chemistry and for a team that's expected to struggle to score we could have easily had 6-7 goals today so that's a good start. Should carry some confidence going forward.

Keep it going against Norway. Anything can happen.

Cutty Sarkn3ss*

Wish I coulda watched more of this game . . . loved hearing that party in the stands.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's funny hearing how much the announcers are praising Kreider and Smith because they're collegians. Really helps put that 1980 team and what they accomplished in perspective, huh?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How did Montoya look? I see he only made 12 saves, but still.

He looked fine but as you say it's tough to judge in such limited action. The goal against was probably the best chance he faced, an uncovered one timer from the slot in between the hash marks. He was fighting the puck a bit to start due to nerves but all things considered I thought he played well. Even though he only made 12 saves, a few of them were good saves. It's tough to go long periods of time without seeing anything and then see a quality chance and he was up to the task for those.

Scott Gordon says he doesn't have a goalie plan yet other than Montoya getting today's game. It'll be interesting to see what they do. USA Hockey initially said Conklin was starting today. I'd think Conklin will get the Norway game on Monday and then they'll make a decision on their #1 for the Sweden game and going forward. I'd bet on it being Al.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Good win to start the tournament. Like most U.S. national teams of late, the emphasis on skating pays dividends. The defense can really move (and shoot) the puck which helps make up for a more pedestrian offense. That being said, a ton of chances and the hope is we get a bit more finish as the tourney moves on.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
much better start then last year without question..

a team like this might surprise a lot of teams because of how mobile that blueline is and if Montoya continues to play the way he can, we have an outside shot at doing something positive here.

cant wait for Gaustad to get here as he is a lock for top 6 center; wouldnt mind seeing a line of Kreider- Gaustad- Palmieri as a really tough energy line that would crash the net and play physical.

we have a lot of quick/energy forwards that could be a real pain to keep up with on the big ice. though I have no dillusions of grandeur here with winning a medal, I think this team can turn some things around and bring respectability back to the US in this tournament.

I hope Wheeler and Stepan are ready for the weight of the offense because it is only going to get harder from here on out. didnt mind seeing Craig Smith on the top line, that might change with Gaustad coming here tomorrow, but the kid didnt look out of place. Would rather have Ben Smith of the Blackhawks, but thats another story completely.

nice win for the guys, hope they stay positive and keep up some momentum against Norway....

cant wait to watch Monday.... go get em boys!:yo:

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Judging by this game, Austria belongs in Division II. Slovenia > Austria.

france>austria?...austria came back up last 5 times, they are obviously too strong for division II. Apparently too weak for division I as well...

This team is also especially weak. 5, 6 key players are missing. Of course all countries have that problem...but such a bad goalie is a real problem for a hockey dwarf like austria!

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Unterlaugger's fly-by through the shooting lane on shattenkirk's goal made penker look bad but it's not his fault. He was hung out to dry on a couple of goals. He does not inspire much confidence but the Austrian's were pretty poor in this game.

Oroku Saki*

Exactly what I'm thinking...

USA's top 4 defence is solid with Komisarek, Fowler, Shattenkirk and Johnson, but their forwards and especially goalies are horrible. I know that Miele won the Hobey Baker award, but you cannot have many of those college players. Craig Smith? What has he done to earn his spot? Only Wheeler and Stepan could be considered as actually good players.

Then, the goalies... 35-year-old career backup and unproven, 26-year-old bust. Austria could actually top that if they would have Divis or Brückler.

I'm waiting for a big upset today. 3-1 or 2-1 for Austria. Vanek and Setzinger will be on fire.

Big upset you predicted.

Palmieri, Fayne, Shattenkirk, Johnson etc are good players. Stop hating. In International Competition any guy who plays in the NHL I consider "good". They play for a living.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
LOL- watching the replay--they're playing "Living on A Prayer" after Shattenkirk's goal...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pretty soft goal, although I think the goalie had a flyby screen distract him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest