Euro: Group B: RUS vs. DEN, FIN vs. BEL, 6/21/2021

Who advances?

• Total voters

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We have an interesting one here. The potential, even the likelihood of three teams finishing with three points means I have no idea what happens. Fortunately we get some clarity as Groups A and C will already be resolved by the time this game happens, so we should have some idea of what the third place table will look like.

I am blatantly copying these.

• Belgium has clinched a spot in the knockout round and will clinch first place in the group with a win or a draw against Finland
  • Russia defeated Finland on Wednesday and thus owns the head-to-head tiebreaker. It will clinch a spot in the knockout round with a win over Denmark or a draw plus a Finland loss to Belgium.
  • Finland will clinch a spot in the knockout round with a win over Belgium or a draw plus a Russia loss to Denmark.
  • Denmark can finish in second place in the group with a win over Russia plus a Finland loss to Belgium, but it will depend on the goals scored in these two matches.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
A draw would be like winning the gold for Finland. Not likely but Pukki/Pohjanpalo are capable of scoring one goal.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
A draw would secure Finland advancement if Denmark wins.

If Denmark wins 1-0 against Russia and Finland loses to Belgium, it will be the goaldifferential in the matches against Belgium that decides who gets to be number two. Denmark lost 1-2 and Russia lost 0-3

If Denmark wins 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 etc and Finland loses, Denmark gets second place because of more goals scored.

Russia needs at least one point against Denmark.

If both Finland and Russia gets a point, Finland will get second place and Russia gets third, but both will most likely advance. The 4 best 3rd places will also go through.

Theoretically Belgium can still be third if both Finland and Russia wins big, but will 100 % guaranteed be ready for last 16.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
KDB, E. Hazard and Witsel will all start the game, confirmed by Martinez. Vermaelen too, probably.

This means that Finland has almost no chance to get a point out of the game. Unless those guys are coasting and just going through the moves.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Denmark is going to rise out of the pits and beat Russia to get through to the R16. Nobody should be buying Russia, all they got was a random win against Finland (who should not even be in this tournament).

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Denmark is going to rise out of the pits and beat Russia to get through to the R16. Nobody should be buying Russia, all they got was a random win against Finland (who should not even be in this tournament).

:nod::naughty:

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
That wasn't a disrespect to Finland and more of a failure towards nations like Serbia, Greece, North Ireland, Iceland, and BIH to name the most prominent that should be making this tournament.

how are greece, north ireland, iceland and bih better than finland on the paper?

today im gonna watch austria vs ukraine and finland vs belgium. sucks that they put games on same time in round 3 in group stage. the commentators are always saying the result in the other game, and im not that type of guy who is gonna watch a game where i already know the resualt.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
I would think you could end up with some very horrible games if the last 2 matches in the same group aren't at the same time. It is one thing that both teams can be happy about the result near the end of the match. But a game where both teams know from the start that they both would like a 0-0 game is scary

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Confirmed Belgium line up for tonight:

Thibault Courtois
Jason Denayer - Dedrick Boyata - Thomas Vermaelen
Nacer Chadli - Axel Witsel - Kevin De Bruyne - Leandro Trossard
Jeremy Doku - Romelu Lukaku - Eden Hazard

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Go Finland. Belgium is already secure and Finland advancing would be a nice underdog story. I hope German telly shows that game although I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe MacMillan

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I would think you could end up with some very horrible games if the last 2 matches in the same group aren't at the same time. It is one thing that both teams can be happy about the result near the end of the match. But a game where both teams know from the start that they both would like a 0-0 game is scary
Yup, see Germany vs Austria, 1982 Gijón.

member 305909

Finland qualified properly from a qualification group instead of some path D consolation slot.

By winning tonight Denmark is certainly at least third and almost certain second if Belgium beats Finland.

If Denmark beats Russia by one goal but other than 1-0 Finland needs a point from Belgium or they are the bottom team of the group.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I agree. Denmark has played really strong football and their record is very unfortunate. I think they're better than Russia and will show it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Why does Golovin do this little right curve around the defender instead of shooting before from centre?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad