GDT: Group B - May 9 - Finland (3) vs USA (2) (MOD WARNING - POSTS 26 & 275)

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Somehow I got the impression that the USA was at full speed for the whole 60mins and Finland for the 3-4 minutes after the 3-2 goal... Maybe this is unfair, but in any case I don't think that Canada will face a sloppy and slow Finland like today on next Tuesday.

Suomi did a great job of stifling USA attack and keeping everything to the perimeter in the 3rd. Very disciplined, opportunistic squad, with a counterattack capable of giving our young D fits. Won't be an easy win for us . But on the plus side Talbot's looked solid and McD's heating up...

Jopo

May 8, 2016
Finland
He's getting crapped on? I'm confused...some said he was the best coach with the best system though? So is he good or bad?

There cannot exist situation Team Finland have bad couch. There are pretty good reserve company here in this dvision. KJ isn't most popular coach ever, but he surely knows his gamebooks. Maybe it's his rather 'distant' style and alleged 'conservative' approach to using players in their designated roles that he utilizes more systematically then few last coaches. However, the system itself remains pretty much same and each new coach add their own nuances to it.

Essentially whole system is based from the start to make optimal team to play for the team, and individuals are picked with that aim in mind, and everybody is also expected to play in their roles for the whole.

That approach can be directly in contradiction with fans' hopes and desires, even in case of Patrik Laine's TOI in one single game, which was, after all and regardless of difficulties, winning game. Of Team.

No alchemy here.

PJM

Feb 18, 2006
Hm interesting that's a new one I haven't seen that classification of a rookie before.

It was great to see rookie Tyler Seguin destroy the World Championships last year lol.

I could have sworn that Seguin last year had significantly more NHL experience than Pulkkinen this year, but what do I know.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'm happy Larkin is putting together a great tournament after his lackluster final 30 games in the NHL. He seems really rejuvenated.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
There cannot exist situation Team Finland have bad couch. There are pretty good reserve company here in this dvision. KJ isn't most popular coach ever, but he surely knows his gamebooks. Maybe it's his rather 'distant' style and alleged 'conservative' approach to using players in their designated roles that he utilizes more systematically then few last coaches. However, the system itself remains pretty much same and each new coach add their own nuances to it.

Essentially whole system is based from the start to make optimal team to play for the team, and individuals are picked with that aim in mind, and everybody is also expected to play in their roles for the whole.

That approach can be directly in contradiction with fans' hopes and desires, even in case of Patrik Laine's TOI in one single game, which was, after all and regardless of difficulties, winning game. Of Team.

No alchemy here.

This bad?
Picture%20009.1.jpg

Well they have a bad couch, have to agree. Luckily their rooster is fine.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Suomi did a great job of stifling USA attack and keeping everything to the perimeter in the 3rd. Very disciplined, opportunistic squad, with a counterattack capable of giving our young D fits. Won't be an easy win for us . But on the plus side Talbot's looked solid and McD's heating up...

Canada will also be playing a back to back against a rested Finland. This way the Canada-USA USA-Finland and Finland-Canada match results aren't all directly comparable.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Canada will also be playing a back to back against a rested Finland. This way the Canada-USA USA-Finland and Finland-Canada match results aren't all directly comparable.

Tut tut ( unlike last year :amazed ) Canada, having built a big lead, will be coasting in 3rd vs France and will have plenty left in the tank for the morrow...

TOO MUCH for Suomi to handle :naughty:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
People seem to be overestimating Finlands capabilities. We have some great forwards this year, but our d-core is mainly from European leagues with two young guys from NA. It's not a coincidence that we always have problems with other top teams, especially North Americans. There was an article about Sami Vatanen and why he's so exceptional in Finland. We implement very organized defensive systems at a very young age, and our game simply isn't so much about reckless forechecking and speed. Our dmen learn to open the game having time to make the play, but when we face teams with fast players and aggressive forechecking, our dmen have a hard time getting the puck out, let alone making a controlled breakout. We saw this as our dmen were constantly hastily throwing the puck along the boards and getting stuck in our zone, especially against that Larkin-line.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
People seem to be overestimating Finlands capabilities. We have some great forwards this year, but our d-core is mainly from European leagues with two young guys from NA. It's not a coincidence that we always have problems with other top teams, especially North Americans. There was an article about Sami Vatanen and why he's so exceptional in Finland. We implement very organized defensive systems at a very young age, and our game simply isn't so much about reckless forechecking and speed. Our dmen learn to open the game having time to make the play, but when we face teams with fast players and aggressive forechecking, our dmen have a hard time getting the puck out, let alone making a controlled breakout. We saw this as our dmen were constantly hastily throwing the puck along the boards and getting stuck in our zone, especially against that Larkin-line.

Our D are really young too & none of them are named Ekblad!

Your forwards + quick transition could give them fits...

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Our D are really young too & none of them are named Ekblad!

Your forwards + quick transition could give them fits...

Wasn't that kind of the prediction towards today's game? :) Skilled forwards versus a bit shaky back end on both ends.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Great period by Matthews.

As for Finland I am becoming more and more worried about defence and goaltending. Our forwards are top notch but there are too many question marks in other areas. If we don't improve Canada is going to tear us apart.

Even Finland U20 team had serious issues with defence and goal-tending ( Vehviläinen).
In World Juniors preliminary round games ( Russia,Slovakia,Czechs)and against Canada in quarterfinal.

Question What was the result?
Answer it was gold medal.

Question2 why same can't happen now?

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Even Finland U20 team had serious issues with defence and goal-tending ( Vehviläinen).
In World Juniors preliminary round games ( Russia,Slovakia,Czech's)and against Canada in quarterfinal.

Question What was the result?
Answer it was gold medal.

Question2 why same can't happen now?

The Finns are favourites against Canada. I'm excited to see how it goes against McDavid and co.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Tut tut ( unlike last year :amazed ) Canada, having built a big lead, will be coasting in 3rd vs France and will have plenty left in the tank for the morrow...

TOO MUCH for Suomi to handle :naughty:

... is there anyone with a name and an ego but not the points yet from the tourney to match them in your team?

Just asking for no particular reason. ;)

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
The Finns are favourites against Canada. I'm excited to see how it goes against McDavid and co.

Don't think I can recall a time when the Finns were favoured over Canada....then again, the last world Juniors were damn close.

Going to be a great game to close the round robin.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Don't think I can recall a time when the Finns were favoured over Canada....then again, the last world Juniors were damn close.

Going to be a great game to close the round robin.

Finns like being underdogs and I'm not going to give it to them :P

This is mens level not WJC though. Should be a good game, it will determine who finishes first. Canada brought a pretty good team this year. One day at a time, things are really starting to click though.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

No way!!!!

Canada is always the favourite.

I think Can will win that game 4-2. But if Finland stays out the penalty box, I could see it being a closer game, going either way 3-2. :handclap:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No way!!!!

Canada is always the favourite.

I think Can will win that game 4-2. But if Finland stays out the penalty box, I could see it being a closer game, going either way 3-2. :handclap:

I really hope Canada stays focused and brings their best. Things are coming together, it will be exciting and I'm glad we'll get our toughest test right before the knockout games.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
After the 2-0 lead nothing will happen when this terrible Koskinen make his job.
It´s shame to have this goalkeeper in.

I don`t understand why we they don´t bench him. :help:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Laine cant drive a line himself

I said after the Juniors in comparing Pulju to Laine that Pulju plays like he can own a line. Laine on the other hand will be more complementary. Not that it means anything pointwise.

This means you havent seen the Liiga playoffs at all

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This bad?
Picture%20009.1.jpg

Well they have a bad couch, have to agree. Luckily their rooster is fine.

That's not bad couch at all. You obviously can see the owner has not gotten rid of it, and why should he because it looks pretty damn comfortable, the soft bits are intact still; it's a full-sized one you really can stretch yourself on, and it seemingly being at the end of its life-cycle makes you really not care if there is a misfortune spillage of a beverage.

You could watch the hell out of IIHF World Championships on a sofa like that.

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
That was a nice game. My thoughts:

Laine: Hasn't got a ton of ice time. He doesn't drive the game as much as Matthews does. He got outplayed by Matthews on EV. But on the PP, he looks like a mini Ovechkin. He has a termendous shot and as soon as he touches the puck, you just think, that he'll score.

Matthews: He plays like a veteran. Never out of position, has a lot of poise and makes the right decisions. It's just too bad, that he isn't getting any offensive help from his linemates. Right now, I'd pick Matthews first. He's a center who can drive the play, plays already a quite good 2-way game and has a high hockey IQ. Laine may have have the higher peak, because he's deadly when he has a open shooting lane, but Matthews is more complete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad