GDT: Group B - May 9 - Finland (3) vs USA (2) (MOD WARNING - POSTS 26 & 275)

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
TSN artice was pathetic, why does a canadian newspaper have such bias towards Matthews?

Matthews was good Laine wasn´t bad, he had 1 turnover, wich caused a weak shot the goalie should have stopped. Also Laine didn´t get to play hardly any PP, he felt hot when he got some shots in the first.

Barkov was man of the match. In team US Hanifin.

I think Barkov woke up too late to win player of the game. Maybe one of Komarov, Aho or Granlund might have been more consistent throughout.

As far as team USA it has to be between Larkin and Matthews. Hanifin struggled at the start of the game. He was on the ice for both Finland goals in the first period I believe.

PJM

Feb 18, 2006
Why do you consider Pulkkinen a rookie? He's an NHL drafted prospect that already played nearly a season's worth of games, and was drafted 6 years ago...

Rookie in the national team (counting WCH, Olympics). If he had been playing clearly more in the NHL it would make a difference, but 36 games this season and 31 the previous is not really that much.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Somehow I got the impression that the USA was at full speed for the whole 60mins and Finland for the 3-4 minutes after the 3-2 goal... Maybe this is unfair, but in any case I don't think that Canada will face a sloppy and slow Finland like today on next Tuesday.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Kind of felt bad for Matthews and Larkin at some points during the game, everyone else on USA really looked lackluster. Maroon....I don't even know what to say about this guy.

I disagree about Maroon, I thought he had a great game. And I am not a fan by any means.

Maroon and Foligno completely dominated the weak Finnish blue line. They were a big part of why other players could run havoc in Finnish zone as well, due to setting the tone and dominating the slot.

Hanifin was by far the best blue liner on the ice which was expected. For all the quality of forwards in the first two lines, Team Finland has appalling defense and I dare say questionable goaltending at best.

I think Finland is very overrated mostly because they have such a great one two punch at center. Which is nothing to sneeze at, but I don't think it will be enough.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
This is just a blatant lie. Laine had ONE turnover in the first and ONE penalty that looked extremely soft.

It's not hard to see that Matthews is the more complete player as of now. Broke up that Barkov line's chance near the crease and didn't have any huge mistakes. Offensively he seemed somewhat simple this game. Simple passes, had a couple of nice shots on that one powerplay too. Seemed to get destroyed on faceoffs though, which honestly isn't Barkov's strong suit either.

Laine was quiet in the first period as were his linemates. Just not a lot going for them at first. Had that bad turnover, but that was also a bad goal by Koskinen. Overall I thought Laine created more offense than Matthews. He seemed to get going in the second period, that was closer to what Laine should do. When he doesn't have the shot available, he can dish some sweet passes to his linemates.

Can you link me to where I can see the wins and losses for the faceoffs in that game? Because I actually thought Matthews was pretty good in the circle and am interested to see how his faceoff skills have been lately.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Anyways, this tournament is Canada's to lose IMO.

Agreed 100%

If the boys keep the beers at reasonable levels which they have for many years now in these tournaments, I think they are clear cut above everyone else.

Tournament format allows for Canada to be surprised in one game, but it does take a big upset in my opinion.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It was a weak game from Finland, but most importantly, they somehow managed to win it anyway. Almost a perfect result in that sense, since you rarely get to enjoy a game that's a win *and* a wake-up call in the same package.

Finland can still get better by moving some pieces around, and our management can even bring in additional ones, even to the top-six. We still have Mikko Rantanen waiting in the reserves...

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Long time Finnish lurker chipping in his two cents:

"Bad games" can happen to any player. There was a lot of expectation there for Laine himself to do well. Being barely 18 and getting the early 4+2 in the tournament can get in the head of a young player. PP shots were monster blasts and he is a dangerous weapon, not to mention that he had flashes of excellent playmaking.

The reffing was awful for both teams.

That being said, this game was a bit of an eye-opener for me of Matthews' talent. I admit I haven't seen him play that much outside of highlight reels. He was playing with lesser talent but it was rare to see him make a bad play. It wasn't always flashy but it was precise and quick.

Matthews for #1 is a no-brainer in my eyes. Both are excellent but Matthews is a bigger piece of a puzzle, even though both pieces are different shapes.

Then again, I could be wrong. Who couldn't.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Can you link me to where I can see the wins and losses for the faceoffs in that game? Because I actually thought Matthews was pretty good in the circle and am interested to see how his faceoff skills have been lately.

he went 7/2 against Canada in the dot, so I wouldnt be worried about his faceoffs.

PJM

Feb 18, 2006
Somehow I got the impression that the USA was at full speed for the whole 60mins and Finland for the 3-4 minutes after the 3-2 goal... Maybe this is unfair, but in any case I don't think that Canada will face a sloppy and slow Finland like today on next Tuesday.

I am afraid the problems our defencemen had with forecheck are not so much about being sloppy but that they are really not that good. But let's hope it was just that they had problems to adjust after the two lower pace games and they can move the puck much better than today. I they can't we have no chance against Canada.

Cinderblox

Hug it out everyone!
Jan 4, 2016
Lahti
I am afraid the problems our defencemen had with forecheck are not so much about being sloppy but that they are really not that good. But let's hope it was just that they had problems to adjust after the two lower pace games and they can move the puck much better than today. I they can't we have no chance against Canada.
Just gotta stay Positive! It ain't over til the fat lady sings!

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Some random thoughts:

Barkov really reminds me of Jagr the way he fends off opposing attackers and protects the puck with his big butt.

The much maligned Antti Pihlström has definitely shown he deserves his roster spot. Before the tournament I thought "Oh no, not again!" when they invited Pihlström to camp but so far he has proven me wrong. One of our most energetic guys.

I hope Laine didn't flip his coach the bird after getting benched at the end.

Granlund is having an under the radar super tournament so far.

Koskinen scares me, he scares me like Mika Noronen used to.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Rookie in the national team (counting WCH, Olympics). If he had been playing clearly more in the NHL it would make a difference, but 36 games this season and 31 the previous is not really that much.

Hm interesting that's a new one I haven't seen that classification of a rookie before.

It was great to see rookie Tyler Seguin destroy the World Championships last year lol.

Cinderblox

Hug it out everyone!
Jan 4, 2016
Lahti
I didn't see any of that at all, very quiet. Finland should have dominated this game but did not.

Finland always seems to crap the bed in the first "real" team. Sometimes even against weaker teams... This time we pulled through. Can't afford to suck this much against Canada.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Easy game all around. Didn't even have to play our best line much. mathews could've played a lot better here clearly??

Last edited:

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
lets also not forgot that Matthews prevented a tap in goal for Barkov which to me is just as valuable as scoring a goal. Defense wins in hockey and if you're players can be as good on defense as they are on offense then you are going to go places.

Jopo

May 8, 2016
Finland
Entertaining game.

Nothing special from Matthews or Laine. Thus not trying rant about that either.

Finland made it somehow harder then it could've been, but US wasn't bad, and end result could have easily reversed.

About that "fresh air game plan from '90s" someone mentioned, I think it was just what was needed both for winning one pretty insignificant game, but also from viewpoint how TEAM Finland generally plays when it plays for Win of Team Finland, and not for an three games individual's PPG. I think it's also good for Laine himself as well as Finnish and International media to little bit slow down with hype, that has gone already somewhat to fantasy hockey in some of it's expectations.

KJ doesn't deserve all **** thrown upon him by Finnish fans. Sure.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Entertaining game.

Nothing special from Matthews or Laine. Thus not trying rant about that either.

Finland made it somehow harder then it could've been, but US wasn't bad, and end result could have easily reversed.

About that "fresh air game plan from '90s" someone mentioned, I think it was just what was needed both for winning one pretty insignificant game, but also from viewpoint how TEAM Finland generally plays when it plays for Win of Team Finland, and not for an three games individual's PPG. I think it's also good for Laine himself as well as Finnish and International media to little bit slow down with hype, that has gone already somewhat to fantasy hockey in some of it's expectations.

KJ doesn't deserve all **** thrown upon him by Finnish fans. Sure.

He's getting crapped on? I'm confused...some said he was the best coach with the best system though? So is he good or bad?

Jalonen played defence-oriented players.. Shows that how good Finland is in coaching. We have the best coaches and systems in the world. It is understandable that you don`t understand.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I didn't see any of that at all, very quiet. Finland should have dominated this game but did not.

I'd say that the Finnish fans who really know their stuff could've told you that they weren't going to dominate. Finland's usually struggled against North American teams in this decade (in the WHC). It's mostly about unfamiliarity; the players, the way they play, all of it. In addition to the coaching team not truly knowing what they're up against and how to solve that puzzle, our Euro players (the ones who've never played in NA), especially the dmen, tend to start shaking the second they realize it's the big bad Yankee/Canuck that they're facing. And in this team in particular I'd say that the D simply reeks anyway, not enough skill to handle pressure without a proper defensive game plan.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Hm interesting that's a new one I haven't seen that classification of a rookie before.

It was great to see rookie Tyler Seguin destroy the World Championships last year lol.

It is how Team Finland has operated for years. They have far more defined roles for players compared to other big hockey nations because they do not have the depth. The defense orientated players will come out in the end protecting the lead. This is basic hockey knowledge. I would not beat my drum for not knowing this while trying to look like an expert.

Furthermore the fact that I agree with you that the word rookie does not really apply here is not really something that I would be rubbing in, either. The other guy most likely is not a native speaker of English and as such going all semanthics on him is not something I would be proud of doing, either.

But feel free to do what you think is best to pump the tyres of a kid and put down another any way you like.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
He's getting crapped on? I'm confused...some said he was the best coach with the best system though? So is he good or bad?

For being constantly confused, you certainly are very opinionated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad