GDT: Group B - May 20 - Austria vs Italy

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
God. As a Norwegian, I should probably laugh, and say, splendid, if we get Italy in the group again next year, that's an easy win.

To hinge it on that: Norways win over Austria was in a exciting, good match, where the Austrians were finally outmanouvred in the last part. The Norwegian win over Italy was a total walk-over, even if it was annoying with the commentators talking like it was over while the score-board was still even- but the Italians were just so bad. And then they just collapsed, and the commentators was right.

How on earth did the Austrians not win over this Italian team. Poor guys.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Well Italy and GB will help stack other teams stats again next year. ;)
Yes, because Austria with their goal difference of -31 didn't help other teams pad their stats at all. I'm not hating on Austria here but they managed to lose against the weakest Italian team I have ever witnessed which suffered from several injuries so they only have themselves to blame.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yes, because Austria with their goal difference of -31 didn't help other teams pad their stats at all. I'm not hating on Austria here but they managed to lose against the weakest Italian team I have ever witnessed which suffered from several injuries so they only have themselves to blame.

Atleast Austria played hockey. I dont know what the f*** Italians were doing for most of the tourney.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
yes and if you read my earlier post #98 you will see that exactly what i said :thumbu:

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
God. As a Norwegian, I should probably laugh, and say, splendid, if we get Italy in the group again next year, that's an easy win.

To hinge it on that: Norways win over Austria was in a exciting, good match, where the Austrians were finally outmanouvred in the last part. The Norwegian win over Italy was a total walk-over, even if it was annoying with the commentators talking like it was over while the score-board was still even- but the Italians were just so bad. And then they just collapsed, and the commentators was right.

How on earth did the Austrians not win over this Italian team. Poor guys.
You need to be happy about it, because norwegian team is another huge candidate for relegation. Roster does not look solid, at all...

Reactions: Pardus

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
It is a legitim tactic to concetrate on one game.Italy and the UK did that and managed to win a game against better teams and stay in the A group.Moking about them seems unfair to me.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Why wouldn't you stop being wrong all the time? o_O
All the time, ehm, about what? Next year, they will get Kazakstan or Belarus, so basically KHL teams, which know how to play decent hockey. With that passion and fight spirit what GB put to their matches, I would not be surprised if they beat somebody like Norway. And Norway goes down.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Atleast Austria played hockey. I dont know what the **** Italians were doing for most of the tourney.
Austria plays hockey? You dont watch their games for sure. Austria was the second terrible team, there is no reason to not get relegated. Of corse Italy was terrible also and serves to get relegated.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
This is as weak as the bottom end of the tournament has been in a very long time. The fact teams with -30 something and -40 something goal differentials actually survived to play another year isn't actually a good thing.

At least with GB you can argue they are new to this level and this is something they might be able to build on. With Italy you have situation where, despite spending decades bouncing around the top division, the country has made no progress in the sport and the sport has made no progress in the country.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
This is as weak as the bottom end of the tournament has been in a very long time. The fact teams with -30 something and -40 something goal differentials actually survived to play another year isn't actually a good thing.

At least with GB you can argue they are new to this level and this is something they might be able to build on. With Italy you have situation where, despite spending decades bouncing around the top division, the country has made no progress in the sport and the sport has made no progress in the country.

Yeah Italy has been an elevator team for 15 years now. Aint nothing improving there, simply nobody gives a shit and you cant build a hockey culture if everyones busy watching soccer.

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
All the time, ehm, about what? Next year, they will get Kazakstan or Belarus, so basically KHL teams, which know how to play decent hockey. With that passion and fight spirit what GB put to their matches, I would not be surprised if they beat somebody like Norway. And Norway goes down.
Do I have to mention KAZ and BLR has pretty much always had KHL teams?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Yeah Italy has been an elevator team for 15 years now. Aint nothing improving there, simply nobody gives a **** and you cant build a hockey culture if everyones busy watching soccer.
Hockey doesn't need to be popular all around the country, Italy has a large population. Hockey is comparatively popular in the north, particularly in South Tyrol. I don't see why should Italy be judged so harshly because of this tournament when they had a really decent one in 2017.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Hockey doesn't need to be popular all around the country, Italy has a large population. Hockey is comparatively popular in the north, particularly in South Tyrol. I don't see why should Italy be judged so harshly because of this tournament when they had a really decent one in 2017.

Sure, but even so, no progress has been made in the last 15+ years. They arent producing talent, period. Im not just talking about WCH, but their hockey in general. Their U-18 plays in DIV IB along such greats as Japan, Hungary and Great Britian. Their U-20 also plays in DIV IB alongside Estonia, Ukraine and Poland. This programme is a waste of time.

And most important of all - theres no interest. Do you think that if you were to pull Italian news website youd even be able to find news about World championship of hockey?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Do I have to mention KAZ and BLR has pretty much always had KHL teams?
This was an unusual stint in the 1A for Belarus and they can't be relegated next year anyway as they are hosting the 2021 World Championship with Latvia. Meanwhile, while I am certainly no fan of the way Kazakhstan has "developed" their national team, they now have several talented imports. Kazakhstan should be stronger than ever.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Sure, but even so, no progress has been made in the last 15+ years. They arent producing talent, period. Im not just talking about WCH, but their hockey in general. Their U-18 plays in DIV IB along such greats as Japan, Hungary and Great Britian. Their U-20 also plays in DIV IB alongside Estonia, Ukraine and Poland. This programme is a waste of time.

And most important of all - theres no interest. Do you think that if you were to pull Italian news website youd even be able to find news about World championship of hockey?
And Austria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad