GDT: Group B - May 20 - Austria vs Italy

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
And Austria.

Except Austrians atleast have shown to produce talent every once in while. There are Vaneks on Italian roster, neither are there any Raffls. Not to mention there is tangible interest in hockey there.

I can see Austria being decent in the future. I cant say the same about Italy.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Bad week for Austria, losing their spot in the elite and their government :D at least Alaba is champion. Watched the highlights, just incredible.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Wouldnt say "huge", but likely, definitley in the coming future.
I also agree if they have similar roster as this year, they be easily beaten by BLR or KAZ I dont see them losing against GB or Italy only if GB somehow make more points and finishes in front of BLR who cant be relegated and NOR.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Except Austrians atleast have shown to produce talent every once in while. There are Vaneks on Italian roster, neither are there any Raffls. Not to mention there is tangible interest in hockey there.

I can see Austria being decent in the future. I cant say the same about Italy.
Vanek has barely played for them, from hockey development point of view he didn’t repay much to austrian federation, same goes for Grabner.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Vanek has barely played for them, from hockey development point of view he didn’t repay much to austrian federation, same goes for Grabner.
Grabner's record in particular is pathetic: he has only played in one World Championship despite being 31 years old.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think last year was an exception, and this year was a regression to the mean. On the one hand, we were down a few key defensemen. One the other hand, they weren't overwhelming upgrades either. You could tell that both Austria and France were against the cards just by looking at the blue lines.

Dominique Heinrich, Alexander Pallestrang, Martin Schumnig, Patrick Peter, Clemens Unterweger, Steven Strong, Raphael Wolf (missing Ulmer, Vivieros)
Kevin Hecquefeuille, Antonin Manavian, Florian Chakiachvili, Olivier Dame-Malka, Thomas Thiry, Jonathan Janil, Hugo Gallet, Pierre Crinon (missing Auvitu)

And yeah, maybe they should have beaten Italy. Maybe they should have beaten Great Britain. But those blue lines suck. I'm not so sure our fans know, but French fans are certainly aware of their blue line woes.

We will be back, and when we come back, I hope something will be done about that awful blue line.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Nothing to add about the game because everything was already said. I'm not sure if this result was good or bad for Italian hockey. A serious hockey federation would try to analyze the entire WC and come to some conclusions regarding the coaching and the players and all around it. I'm afraid the chairman of the FISG will be proud of himself because Italy avoided the relegation and therefore he did everything right: coach, new Italians Canadians players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad