GDT: Group B - May 20 - Austria vs Italy

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
whoooo! Go and get the most undeserved and embarassing survival in top division in the history of the sport! C'mon!

Yeah if anyone doesnt deserve to be here - its Italy. Literally the worst team i have ever seen play at Worlds since i can remember watching hockey.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
To make things worse in my eyes, the scorer is 38year old Canadian first time Italy international. Need to take shower after this goal, sickening.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Yeah if anyone doesnt deserve to be here - its Italy. Literally the worst team i have ever seen play at Worlds since i can remember watching hockey.
I have been watching Italy pretty much every year, this is the worst team that has ever been iced since I can rememeber. Often sucked, but this is a whole another level of suckiness. To be fair today it seems that Austria (or at least Austria's defensive game) is really putting an effor in sucking even more. I must say that I am impressed.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I have been watching Italy pretty much every year, this is the worst team that has ever been iced since I can rememeber. Often sucked, but this is a whole another level of suckiness. To be fair today it seems that Austria (or at least Austria's defensive game) is really putting an effor in sucking even more. I must say that I am impressed.

Never knew there was a tier below "garbage"

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
This game decides which team deserves to stay up, I don't really understand why would anyone disagree. If Austria can't beat Italy, then they obviously don't deserve to stay up.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
To make things worse in my eyes, the scorer is 38year old Canadian first time Italy international. Need to take shower after this goal, sickening.
Rosa put some really good seasons in the AHL - I see nothing wrong with a placeholder player like this...it's not like you have a pile of young players pushing through. His goal may be enough to secure top flight status and hopefully a younger player or two is ready.

Having said all this, Austria should not be losing a game like this. If they do they can look in the mirror. Div 1 A is pretty weak right now, they would battle France and Slovenia most likely. Hungary and Korea seem a step below and then there is Romania...a shock promotion to Div 1A

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
This game decides which team deserves to stay up, I don't really understand why would anyone disagree. If Austria can't beat Italy, then they obviously don't deserve to stay up.
That is true. At the end of the day, every single recent appearance of Italy at the top division has been pretty much a warmup tournament for the one match that counts, this year it's not different.
That said, sucking this bad is very bad also for the bad standard of the italian team. If, for some exhilarating and embarassing reason, Italy manages to stay up, I hope that this disgrace of a coaching team will be kicked to the moon anyways.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Any reason as to why Italy have struggled so much this year? Don't they usually do better?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Any reason as to why Italy have struggled so much this year? Don't they usually do better?
There is really no obvious explanation why they did as bad as they have. One could point at the coach and say the system they played just didn't work at all under the circumstances but at the same time, they are tied in the 3rd of an elimination game, so.. It's like the team as a whole came to win 1 game and ignore all the others as whatever..

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Austria up until this point has looked way more competitive than Italy. Italians werent PLAYING for most of the game against us, they literally just stood in the defensive zone and prayed to god the games gonna end sooner.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Very dumb decisions of the coach, namely leaving Scandella and Goi home. Important injuries, like Larkin and Morini. A team that does not play like one, but just as a bunch of guys moving randomly on a frozen surface

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Austria up until this point has looked way more competitive than Italy. Italians werent PLAYING for most of the game against us, they literally just stood in the defensive zone and prayed to god the games gonna end sooner.
That is absolutely irrelevant though. If Italy wins it means that they have outperformed Austria and thus fully deserving of staying up. Austria certainly hasn't looked any good either.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
That is absolutely irrelevant though. If Italy wins it means that they have outperformed Austria and thus fully deserving of staying up. Austria certainly hasn't looked any good either.

Well i guess it comes down to philosophy and we mean by the word deserve . Obviously if they win they stay up (and they deserve it in that sense) , but looking at Italian team from purely the competitive side, they absolutley dont. They literally provide NOTHING. You might aswell dress up dummies in italian uniforms and put them by the net.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Well, in 2017 they almost beat us, we tied the game with a lucky goal in the last minute and won in OT :laugh: But it was a really abysmal Slovak team. Anyway, I also remember them playing close games vs Latvia and Denmark that year. Thank you for saving us that year, Latvia and Denmark :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad