GDT: Group B • Dec. 28 • Sweden 2, Russia 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I know Lehner got player of the game for Sweden, but if you had to choose someone else from Sweden other than him, who would it have been?

I'd go with Lander.

Can someone tell me how our #1 overall pick played tonight (Larsson)?

He was alright, I'd say Adam was probably the second best defenseman after Erixon. He got involved offensively a few times and had a couple of really good shots from the point, but couldn't get anything past Shikin.

He did let a Russian forward go around him once in the defensive zone and certainly looked like a teenager on that play. Fortunately, Lehner bailed him out.

Was Lehner even at the 2010 WJC? Don't remember hearing about him because Markstrom was the main goalie

He didn't play, but was the third goalie a year ago. Markström was the starting goaltender while Anders Nilsson was the backup.

Now Lehner is the starting goaltender, Pettersson-Wentzel the backup and Gustafsson the third goalie. Gustafsson has a '92 birthday, so he is expected to be back next year.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
He made som great plays, and some really poor ones. He got stripped of the puck a little easily a few times; all in all a decent game for him, but not anywhere close to what you expect from a future first rounder.

Really? Couldn't see any poor plays by him. The only thing bad was when he let the russian forward deke past him, really should have done more there. Best game yet by Larsson, finally got involved in the offence and delivered some great hits. Best defenceman together with Erixon.

Russia had two chances that really should have resulted in goals,I mean, open net and everything.. we were pretty lucky there but I'd still say we were the better team, with Lehner and Lander leading the way.

Friberg, wouldn't be surprised if we see him in AS or SEL next season.. how come no one has talked about him 'till now?

debil

Sep 23, 2006
How was Erixon (defensively and offensively)? What is his potential in the nhl? Just saw the first period, Erixon seems to be well-skating, puck-moving offensive dman. Not so sure about his defensive skills.

monsterswede

Dec 7, 2009
I don't know if Sweden ever looked so canadien..
This team is not as skilled as last year, but wow I really think they're bringing the physical game and playing effective.

I thought Sweden was the "hardest" team in that pre-game against Canada in Toronto.
Who would thought that?

NHLHammerbound*

I don't know if Sweden ever looked so canadien..
This team is not as skilled as last year, but wow I really think they're bringing the physical game and playing effective.

I thought Sweden was the "hardest" team in that pre-game against Canada in Toronto.
Who would thought that?

I think u Swedes , over the past 3 WJC's or so, Have gotten way WAY too preoccupied with trying to match Canada/USA physically. That's resulted in needless penalties, emotional meltdowns by players like Markstrom Hedman ( for instance ), and generally a lack of perspicacity/ focus, in Big Games vs the Two North American Powers.

Seriously...IF u want to emulate Canada maybe focus more on our KISS maxim ( i.e. K-eep I-t S-imple S-tupid )

Stop over analyzing/ emoting, and trying to convince urself that ur something ur not... just stick to YOUR more prototypical 3Kr Game, ( warning stereotype alert ) and stop running around like a bunch of headless Chickens :) trying to hit everything in Maple Leaf/ Stars n Stripes Sweaters

PEACE OUT .

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Would you guys like Landeskog to play against the Czechs if he can? Since we have already secured a quarter spot I say it's better to let him rest. Perhaps it would be safest to have him rest against the Canadians too, even though it would be really cool to see him on the ice for that game.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Would you guys like Landeskog to play against the Czechs if he can? Since we have already secured a quarter spot I say it's better to let him rest. Perhaps it would be safest to have him rest against the Canadians too, even though it would be really cool to see him on the ice for that game.

Personally, I would refrain from playing him against the czechs and would seriously only considering playing him against Canada on NYE if the game determines the group winner, i.e. Sweden wins against the Czechs.

Words on the street is that he sprained his ankle pretty bad. Hence, he needs all the rehab and rest he can get.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003

Rest him for the playoffs.

NHLHammerbound*

Personally, I would refrain from playing him against the czechs and would seriously only considering playing him against Canada on NYE if the game determines the group winner, i.e. Sweden wins against the Czechs.

Even if Tre Kronor lost vs Czechs, which WON"T happen, the NYE game vs Canada would still be for first place in the pool, winner take all, so to speak.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Even if Tre Kronor lost vs Czechs, which WON"T happen, the NYE game vs Canada would still be for first place in the pool, winner take all, so to speak.

Would be much nicer to beat canada in a final, if we lose at NYE we also get a chance for revenge against the americans:)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
How was Erixon (defensively and offensively)? What is his potential in the nhl? Just saw the first period, Erixon seems to be well-skating, puck-moving offensive dman. Not so sure about his defensive skills.

Erixon impresses the heck out of me on a regular basis. Peter Forsberg got the question which player in the SEL that had impressed him the most - he said Erixon.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

Sweden played an excellent game against the Russians, but I have to wonder whether there is enough talent and skill to overcome the Canadians and the US in front of their frenzied fans under "home ice" conditions. The Russian defense has been porous and confused in their first two games, and goaltending has been mediocre, yet Sweden didn't manage to generate nearly as many dangerous chances as Canada against the Russians. I wish Sweden well, but wouldn't bet on them to bring home a Gold Medal.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Sweden played an excellent game against the Russians, but I have to wonder whether there is enough talent and skill to overcome the Canadians and the US in front of their frenzied fans under "home ice" conditions. The Russian defense has been porous and confused in their first two games, and goaltending has been mediocre, yet Sweden didn't manage to generate nearly as many dangerous chances as Canada against the Russians. I wish Sweden well, but wouldn't bet on them to bring home a Gold Medal.

Did you see the sweden canada game? also where would be the fun in knowing ur gonna win lol

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

Smookie,

Good point! In my opinion, the best way to close out 2010 would be a Russian win over the Czechs and a Swedish win over Canada on New Year's Eve! Good luck!

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I think u Swedes , over the past 3 WJC's or so, Have gotten way WAY too preoccupied with trying to match Canada/USA physically. That's resulted in needless penalties, emotional meltdowns by players like Markstrom Hedman ( for instance ), and generally a lack of perspicacity/ focus, in Big Games vs the Two North American Powers.

Seriously...IF u want to emulate Canada maybe focus more on our KISS maxim ( i.e. K-eep I-t S-imple S-tupid )

Stop over analyzing/ emoting, and trying to convince urself that ur something ur not... just stick to YOUR more prototypical 3Kr Game, ( warning stereotype alert ) and stop running around like a bunch of headless Chickens :) trying to hit everything in Maple Leaf/ Stars n Stripes Sweaters

PEACE OUT .

What a complete garbage post.. :shakehead

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

Wouldn't be smart playing him against the Canadians. They'd go after him for sure.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

We need Landeskog back and Lehner to play like an NHL-er, and a good overal team effort... then maybe...

The US and the Canadians was and still is fav of course though. I would be superhappy with a silver.

We should have won 2 years ago.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

Tomas W,

Sweden was definitely the best team two years ago. Just bad luck in the final or they would have had Gold. Sweden deserves huge credit for the way they have handled their National Team Development program. That's why the Tre Kronor has challenged for the top medals in every tournament since the NDT program started.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå

Compared to SEL-teammates Larsson and Rundblad, Larsson is better in the defence and Rundblad in the offence, but Erixon might actually have the best two-way game, atleast right now. Erixon is the most aggressive in front of his own net and the most "self-sacrificing" of the three, never afraid to block slapshots etc. He has probably surpassed Larsson with his slapshot this season, maybe not as hard as Larssons, but I belive it's more accurate.
While Erixon has a lower cieling than the other two, I'd say he's the most likely to pan out fully... Always hard to say things about nhl potential really.. top 4 defender? Only time will tell..
Erixon impresses the heck out of me on a regular basis. Peter Forsberg got the question which player in the SEL that had impressed him the most - he said Erixon.
How come I have never heard that? Did it happen last year? You're confusing me with your comments mate..

If we're talking old pros, Mikael Renberg on the other hand said Erixon has been the biggest disappointment in Skelleftea this season (Though the whole team has been great, and Renberg expected a whole lot of him, so don't read too much into it ;)). Erixon has been so-so, with a couple of great games, a couple of bad.. So it's quite fun to see him dominate like this. Perhaps his game is more suited for the smaller rinks? Or perhaps he just enjoys getting more responsibility as Rundblad and Larsson has made him end up on the third line on his SEL-team.

Last edited:

Jun 30, 2008
Sweden

Garbage. When Forsberg said Erixon, he meant Sebastian Erixon. And honestly, Tim Erixon hasn't been very good this year, I'm just hoping he can come back from the WJC with some confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad