GDT: Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Bringing Selanne to the locker room before the game worked little over 20 minutes. Next time they should try the dark side of the Force and bring Sundin.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I can see a Leafs fan being very confused when reading this thread to check up on how Kapanen did. :laugh:

I though he actually played calmly, had one great backcheck, helped the D. I guess that shows how differently you can see a game.

Or how different one's expectations can be about a player.

Kapanen played alright all things considered, but then again I didn't expect much from him in the first place.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
It needs to get better but you could try to wake up the team with the change after few goals are also softies.

Still don't think there were any softies tbh.

I agree about pulling the goalie at 4-3 or latest for the third period. But at the same time I also see Jalonen thinking about the whole tournament. He probably wanted to give Vehvilainen a chance to get his net back. Had he made that change it would've have meant Kahkonen all the way from now on.

It was probably an attempt to keep both goalies playable and not risking to lose them both in the worst case.

Minttu

Apr 10, 2012
But are you aware that goalie changes aren't always used just to point out that goalie was bad. It's a instrument of waking the team up.

That's kind of funny. Cause that's exactly what you have been doing all night - blaming Vehviläinen for every Russian goal. :laugh:

And yes, I'm aware of that.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Still don't think there were any softies tbh.

I agree about pulling the goalie at 4-3 or latest for the third period. But at the same time I also see Jalonen thinking about the whole tournament. He probably wanted to give Vehvilainen a chance to get his net back. Had he made that change it would've have meant Kahkonen all the way from now on.

It was probably an attempt to keep both goalies playable and not risking to lose them both in the worst case.

This could be, but also it would mean not putting all the stakes to take this game that is generally kept most important. Well Of course Russia could lose to some other opponent's.. But even Jalonen expected this to be the important game.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Well that was interesting.. Super offense but unfortunately weak defense. I still feel confident about our chances. The talent is there, that's for sure.

Sloppy and cocky play ruined it for us. These guys have to be smarter and just wait for the opportunities to come.

Russia was unreal with their shots. I think it was something like 25% of their shot that went to net.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Bringing Selanne to the locker room before the game worked little over 20 minutes. Next time they should try the dark side of the Force and bring Sundin.

Actually laughed...!! first.. Hysterical laugh turned to fragile weeping.. silent tears.. just me, alone, sitting in the dark bedroom.. with Sundin.. and the memories I thought were long gone..

:sarcasm:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
That's kind of funny. Cause that's exactly what you have been doing all night - blaming Vehviläinen for every Russian goal. :laugh:

And yes, I'm aware of that.

Hhhh... I blamed him in those two goals. It's the discussion that is still staying on. Not all the goals are on him. I was mad for not changing the goalie after the 4th and criticizing the goaltending on those alot, imo rightfully so, I'm not sure where you are heading.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Maybe Denmark will win all the round robin matches and cunning plan is to finish 4th.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Well that was interesting.. Super offense but unfortunately weak defense. I still feel confident about our chances. The talent is there, that's for sure.

Sloppy and cocky play ruined it for us. These guys have to be smarter and just wait for the opportunities to come.

Russia was unreal with their shots. I think it was something like 25% of their shot that went to net.

I think that's sort of typical for Russian teams, less shots on net but more efficiency.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
This could be, but also it would mean not putting all the stakes to take this game that is generally kept most important. Well Of course Russia could lose to some other opponent's.. But even Jalonen expected this to be the important game.

The odds and stakes change when you're down two goals. This game was not that important. Actually it was not important at all.

Other than the boys realized the line between sheer dominance and total embarrassment is quite thin and half-assing anything will get you on the wrong side fast and quick.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
What a bittersweet game. Being there at the arena, I couldn't stay calm and watch the game analytically and it hurt a little bit too much. Russians were deadly and Finnish defense was sloppy. Keskitalo with two goals was the best player for team Russia.

Minttu

Apr 10, 2012
Hhhh... I blamed him in those two goals. It's the discussion that is still staying on. Not all the goals are on him. I was mad for not changing the goalie after the 4th and criticizing the goaltending on those alot, imo rightfully so, I'm not sure where you are heading.

I don't know what is going on but it feels like what you say and what you do are two different things. So maybe it's time to end this conversation.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
What a bittersweet game. Being there at the arena, I couldn't stay calm and watch the game analytically and it hurt a little bit too much. Russians were deadly and Finnish defense was sloppy. Keskitalo with two goals was the best player for team Russia.

You were there? Cool. You guys will have some great wins for sure, nice team, respect.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I don't know what is going on but it feels like what you say and what you do are two different things. So maybe it's time to end this conversation.

No they aren't, and you don't need to act that I'm still pushing him, I'm answering to a conversation here.

My post after 3rd russian goal:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111278615&highlight=#post111278615

My post after 2nd Russian goal:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111278063&highlight=#post111278063

My post after 1st russian goal:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111275257&highlight=#post111275257

So could you stop telling me what I have been saying, if it's not true. Putting words to others mouth. I put blame on goalie on those two goals like I said. To the last goal I commented that we know which will play next important game, it doesn't mean that goal, it's overall performance and it also is pretty much true unless Kähkönen has a bad game too. Yeah it's time to end. He said she said ********

I give to you that I was being straight and bit harash and it provocated some people who didin't like it. When I'm playing /competing myself or watching some of the NT games, it happens time to time. It doesn't mean I hate Vehviläinen or something like that. Game is over and it's time to get over it.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Happy about the win, but there are some areas that need to be tightened up. Not at all happy with Georgiev's performance. He looked shaky all day. My guess is that Bragin was planning on starting Samsonov tomorrow against Belarus, and if he plays well, my guess is that you could see him in the nets on Thursday against Slovakia.

Loved the play of the forwards, particularly Polunin, Korshkov and Kuzmenko. Their puck control deep in the Finnish zone changed the flow of the game. If they can keep this play going, there is a good chance of ending up as the No. 1 seed in the group.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Happy about the win, but there are some areas that need to be tightened up. Not at all happy with Georgiev's performance. He looked shaky all day. My guess is that Bragin was planning on starting Samsonov tomorrow against Belarus, and if he plays well, my guess is that you could see him in the nets on Thursday against Slovakia.

Loved the play of the forwards, particularly Polunin, Korshkov and Kuzmenko. Their puck control deep in the Finnish zone changed the flow of the game. If they can keep this play going, there is a good chance of ending up as the No. 1 seed in the group.

funny how i saw Rantanen's absolutely terrible puck control on pp changed the flow. :laugh: but hey, congrats for a win!

euro

Feb 13, 2013
Hey guys, can anyone tell me why guryanov is not playing, Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad