GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Getting worked over this tournament is absolutely hilarious. It`s just exhibition tournament for the kids. Whoever wins doens´nt mean too much in the bigger picture.

Hey, didnt you write that i the part 2 thread?

And i can promise you, this is NOT an exhibition for the "kids". If they win they will remember it forever.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
That's a good question.

If you had an injured player, you might think about resting him, because either way, you're going on in the tournament.

Considering that 2 of the last 4 teams that have won the Gold have done so through the quarterfinals, I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

Getting the better draw is great, provided you take advantage.

Either way, you have to go undefeated to win the Gold, Canada just has to do it in one more game.

Sweden was better, but a wake-up call for Canada is a good thing too.

I'm on the fence when it comes to whether it was better to lose at this point in time or not. Only time will tell.

It certainly didn't hurt at the Olympics.

FYI, Sweden did rest a player. One of the teams best players.

As I said in the last thread, you'd be saying nothing of this if Canada had won. You're just bitter.

Getting worked over this tournament is absolutely hilarious. It`s just exhibition tournament for the kids. Whoever wins doens´nt mean too much in the bigger picture.

That's cause Finland hasn't had anything to compete with in this tournament the last bunch of years. This tournament is big for the fans and most certainly huge for the players for the rest of their careers.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
They only things Canada dominated was the amount of hits and their PK. Otherwise Sweden was better or equal in every category. Canada, and especially their D, looked awfully slow and they cannot handle wingers coming with speed over the blueline (which Sweden was allowed to do often).

I can only hope Canada "dominates" in the same way if Sweden meets them again.

I think he was being sarcastic when he said Canada dominated. Anyone who watched the game could see that Sweden was having their way with Canada.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
To lighten up the hateful mood I'll say that Rush and The Band are two awesome Canadian bands. :)

I liked The Band. Rush not so much. After Tom Sawyer, I can't name another song. Try The Guess Who or BTO, both much more popular in my opinion!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The Swedish defense wouldn't be able to handle Duchene, Kane, Skinner etc..

Sure we can argue about it, as with every national tournament... what ifs... but adding in the missing Swedes and Canadians and taking out some of the current ones in the tournament it would still be a battle between a sub-pair goal-tender vs a good one. It is a significant weakness to not have a goal-tender to relay on.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

As I said in the last thread, you'd be saying nothing of this if Canada had won. You're just bitter.

Thats really not true this game really did mean very little even if they had won.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

You were worried people wouldn't take notice of you the first time you posted this?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
can there be a Sweden / Canada final?

i rather see that then the USA to be honest it seems like a annual event to face sweden in big games

BruceOp

Dec 8, 2004
Was expecting something like that lol. Sweden has lots of great music that isn't in any way near ABBA, but people are stuck on that for some reason. Time for a hateful music discussion.

I was clapping, they are one of the all time greats! "Icing" generalizes too much, and I'm not into a generalizing discussion. Sweden is one of my favourite countries for many reasons, and would love to visit there someday.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
The Swedish defense wouldn't be able to handle Duchene, Kane, Skinner etc..

Well, to be fair, Canada would also be having a lot more trouble defensively if Josefson and Paajarvi were added to the Swedish roster. Plus they would have OEL on defense, making it an even deeper blue line.

But that's what these guys are in the NHL (or on the cusp) on both sides, because they're clearly too good for the junior level.

Too many what if's. The results are what they are. Sweden won, they were the better team tonight, Canada has to find a way to overcome some adversity. It's entertainment at its finest.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
That's a good question.

If you had an injured player, you might think about resting him, because either way, you're going on in the tournament.

Considering that 2 of the last 4 teams that have won the Gold have done so through the quarterfinals, I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

Getting the better draw is great, provided you take advantage.

Either way, you have to go undefeated to win the Gold, Canada just has to do it in one more game.

Sweden was better, but a wake-up call for Canada is a good thing too.

I'm on the fence when it comes to whether it was better to lose at this point in time or not. Only time will tell.

It certainly didn't hurt at the Olympics.

You're right, it didn't hurt us in Vancouver. Many people would argue that the extra game is what gave us the chance to hit our stride. I'm hoping that the quarterfinal game will do the same for this junior team as they have areas they need to work on, especially in net. It's a double edged sword though as you play an extra game and it can become a concern depending on the health/injury situation of your roster and fatigue level. We already are missing Schwartz and De Haan and Eakin are not exactly 100% either.

Personally I think the bye to the semis would have been more of a benefit for us but I don't think I'd feel anymore confident in our play if we had beaten Sweden in the SO. If we had gotten the bye, you hope that players can rest up and any deficiencies in our game can be corrected with the coaching staff in practice, a more controlled environment. Like you said though, only time will tell.

The Big Swede*

Its the most important tournament of the year.

I mean who really cares about the WC

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
I think it's fair to say that the big hits by Canada in this game meant nothing. Did any Swede back down?

IMO the time when NA players tried to scare euros with big hits is over.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
"Originally Posted by adsfan

Canada is #1 at producing quality players. You need to take into account that they play at home every other year. Buffalo is about an hour from Toronto, so that is almost like playing in Canada. You get a big home field advantage, especially from the hockey mad fans of Canada. Maybe if more WJCs were in Europe, you wouldn't have 5, maybe 3 instead."

Canada has won 15 golds. Only 4 of them have been won in Canada. 11 of them have been won in other countries. It appears to be some kind of a myth that Canada wins more at home, as that is not the case.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Sure we can argue about it, as with every national tournament... what ifs... but adding in the missing Swedes and Canadians and taking out some of the current ones in the tournament it would still be a battle between a sub-pair goal-tender vs a good one. It is a significant weakness to not have a goal-tender to relay on.

I understand that, but having those skilled players would hide some of the goaltending problems. Playing more in the offensive zone means less time in defensive zone.

Duchene, Skinner, Seguin and O'Reilly down the middle is just scary.

Hall on the wing, and Schenn would be moved to the wing as well. O'Reilly is already Colorado's best forward penalty killer.

No excuse though. In the tournament, US and Sweden are better. The only thing that annoys me is when people say that Hockey Canada is going down.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
You're right, it didn't hurt us in Vancouver. Many people would argue that the extra game is what gave us the chance to hit our stride. I'm hoping that the quarterfinal game will do the same for this junior team as they have areas they need to work on, especially in net. It's a double edged sword though as you play an extra game and it can become a concern depending on the health/injury situation of your roster and fatigue level. We already are missing Schwartz and De Haan and Eakin are not exactly 100% either.

Personally I think the bye to the semis would have been more of a benefit for us but I don't think I'd feel anymore confident in our play if we had beaten Sweden in the SO. If we had gotten the bye, you hope that players can rest up and any deficiencies in our game can be corrected with the coaching staff in practice, a more controlled environment. Like you said though, only time will tell.

A bye some times can not be a good thing having 2 days off can back fire.

TheMcDavidShow

Featuring Draisaitl
Nov 30, 2008
-Congrats to the Swedes they were the better team today and deserved the win
-Poor goaltending from both sides, I've lost a lot of faith in Roy as a prospect after watching this tourney
-To the notorious Swede homer bringing up the lame registered hockey players argument... just quit your reputation precedes itself here

Good game!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

See, they know that a round-robin game is not all-important when both teams are shoo-ins to move on.

timmeh said:

I would have said:

"Nice for Canada to pull out this one. Sweden definitely held the run of play but Lehner kept letting them back into the game. Canada will have to play more responsibly and aggressively offensively if they want to win the tournament."

You're just trying to turn this into something more than it is.

I'm sure you were jumping for joy after Sweden smoked Canada in 2002 eh? Got the better draw for the playoffs in the end as well.

We all know how that ended.

If I were Swedish, I'd be happy with how the team played offensively and with the amount of puck possession, but somewhat concerned with Lehner and defensive breakdowns on the PP.

On to the real tournament.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Its the most important tournament of the year.

I mean who really cares about the WC

Explain to me why is this better than WC? Each year we get, what 3 good games at WJC?

Quality of WC chances every year. On olympics years its pretty bad, other years good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad