GDT: Group A - May 21 - Finland vs Germany

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Because both teams have already qualified for the quarterfinals.

Finland can finish either 1st or 2nd in the group and Germany can finish either 3rd or 4th.
I think it matters quite a bit. I'd much rather play the 4th seed from the other group than the 3rd. Also, if I'm Germany, I want to avoid Russia like I'm Hitler.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Because both teams have already qualified for the quarterfinals.

Finland can finish either 1st or 2nd in the group and Germany can finish either 3rd or 4th.
You do know that finishing higher up gives ju an easier opponent in the QF and in the semi?

thestudent

May 10, 2011
The bookies are usually correct and they have Finland as a favorite to win.

I'd take those odds.

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Nice to see Grubauer back in the net - we' will need him. :thumbu:
Team Germany 3 - Team Finland 2

member 305909

By winning this game Finland wins the group but it really doesnt matter as all of the four teams in the other group are tough.

It is a clear flaw in the tournament-format that winning the group is meaningless.

Reactions: Kratti

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
By winning this game Finland wins the group but it really doesnt matter as all of the four teams in the other group are tough.

It is a clear flaw in the tournament-format that winning the group is meaningless.

For me it’s a sign that all but one QF matches will be interesting this year. And we could have all 4 if Slovakia did it’s job.

Reactions: king89

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
You do know that finishing higher up gives ju an easier opponent in the QF and in the semi?
The point being, all four possible opponents from the other group are tough and this Finnish team will have it's work cut out for them against any one of them.
And Germany will be the underdog in their quarterfinals regardless of who they face.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
The bookies are usually correct and they have Finland as a favorite to win at 80%.

You do realize that's not the opinion of the bookies? That's the opinion of the people betting on the game. The bookies set the odds so that they get their money either way.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
From Nick (@nicktheiihffan) | Twitter
D7DAyqlW4AAFk8U

If Germany wins in regulation and USA wins in OT, I don't think Finland wins the group.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
Not expecting much. We're usually terrible against the Finns, even more so than the difference on paper would suggest. Good to see Grubauer is back though, not because the other goalies were bad (not at all) but if he plays like he did with the Avalanche he might steal us something.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Uh, Finland's last game lineup had Jere Sallinen as 3C over Eetu Luostarinen, who's out of the tournament with a knee injury.

Sorry about that, I try to manage 16 lineups while being at the tournament myself, bound to make some mistakes. :help:

I'll be back home for the qf, gdt management should get easier

king89

Dec 4, 2018
The point being, all four possible opponents from the other group are tough and this Finnish team will have it's work cut out for them against any one of them.
And Germany will be the underdog in their quarterfinals regardless of who they face.
Yes true but i rather face Schweiz than Swe/Rus. Schweiz is the worst team of the QF teams in group B. And that's why this game is important.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I want to see Jokiharju step it up now. We need this when Luostarinen and Lammikko are gone. I know Jokiharju has it in him. Kaski on the other hand? He needs to show something, i´m not impressed by him, not yet.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I want to see Jokiharju step it up now. We need this when Luostarinen and Lammikko are gone. I know Jokiharju has it in him. Kaski on the other hand? He needs to show something, i´m not impressed by him, not yet.
Lammikko is playing..

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The skill level, or lack of keep still being crying worthy.

Never seen a game from Finland with a talent level this shocking. Everything they do looks like a struggle.

It's pretty unbeliavable how bad they can be.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Czech is like a home team when playing i Bratislava. With some experienced players like Voracek etc.
Russia has shown the best offense in this tournament, they have the best goalies as well.
Sweden has a great roster but on the other hand they lost to the Czechs. Nylander has been good. The thing is, against Sweden we would be huge underdogs which suits this Finnish team.
Against Switzerland? 45/55 for the Swiss perhaps, but i´m not sure it´s a good fit for Team Finland. I mean Roman Josi, Hischier, Fiala, Niederreiter, Kurashev. These players are better than all Finnish players in this tournament, except Kakko.
No, i rather see us against Sweden as a huge underdog. Kurashev can dangle, Niederreiter and Fiala can score and Hischier will out skate our defenders.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Got to say that Niko Mikkola has been far better than Oliwer Kaski in this tournament. Mikkola had 9 points in 70 games in AHL and Kaski won Liiga MVP, hmm.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko's second drawn penalty this game. And like 25th blown scoring chance by a teammate this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad