Euro: Group A: Italy vs. Turkey, 6/11/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Italy looked really strong throughout. I hope for their sake Berardi isn't hurt too bad, he brought a lot of joy down the right today

Reactions: luiginb

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Masterclass from Barella and Locatelli. Just wow. Great fluidity, pressing and intensity from Italy. I won't change my tournament winner prediction.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Bravo Mancini, I think I've never seen Italy going on the offense being up 1, 2 or 3 ... No catenaccio this year!

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Turkey is not bad, but they were beyond bad today. Not to take away from Italy’s game. They were very good.

Turkey should probably be the second best team in the group, but I’d be shocked if Italy doesn’t have to work harder in the next two group fixtures.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
That's the first time Italy scored 3 goals in a game at the Euros? Wow.

Expected way too much from Turkey today.

Reactions: Rob

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Credit to Italy, they really didn't deviate from their formation and game plan. I think other teams should really test out their back line though, there is an opening there to exploit Chelini and Bonucci. Both guys are slow as hell.

Turkey? Wow. That keeper could barely clear the ball and ended up giving away possession multiple times. The entire team seemed to treat this game as a friendly after the 1st goal went in.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Also there is something decidedly unreal about hearing Rece Davis hosting this. I keep expecting him to talk about what Turkey's chances of making a bowl are now.

I was thinking, "he has a football voice......not a futbol voice"

He's competent and smart, but....a little over.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I was about to post: Turkey was so bad, I'm not sure Italy was really good today. The number of bad passes by Turkey today was awfully high.
Not sure about that, we'll see I guess. Italy were strong and active, made life very hard for Turkey, forcing a lot of errors. First half they wore them down, second Turkey were tired which led to lots of missed passes. Beginning of 2nd there was a stat on screen about passes made, something like 350 for Italy with 90% success rate, 150 Turkey with 85% success rate.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
As I’ve mentioned, I grew up extremely much influenced by both Italian and Portuguese cultures, and they make up the majority of my friend group to this day.

I just can’t understand my Italian pisanos right now. A four star jersey makes a great return to international tournament football abd none of them seem to care.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean Italy's been on a mission since they got embarrassed by not qualifying for 2018, I don't envy anyone playing them now.

Turkey could still very well win the other two games and go to the next round, but this team is too darn mercurial to go on sustained runs.

Reactions: Rob

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think Turkey was good by any stretch of the imagination, however, they did defend well up until that own goal. They had to open up more and that's when things got derailed, but it could have easily gone on 0-0 for a while longer. With Under fresh, the counter would have worked better too.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Not sure about that, we'll see I guess. Italy were strong and active, made life very hard for Turkey, forcing a lot of errors. First half they wore them down, second Turkey were tired which led to lots of missed passes. Beginning of 2nd there was a stat on screen about passes made, something like 350 for Italy with 90% success rate, 150 Turkey with 85% success rate.

True, Italy was strong and active. But I really don't know about that stat, I saw three terrible passes by Turkey within the first 15 minutes of the game and they just kept coming.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Turkey looked average even against Norway (I know they won 3-0 in that one game, but that was Norway handing them goals - not Turkey playing well). Things might have changed since then of course, but my guess is that this is a rather poor Turkey.

Italy might benefit from not having any "superstars". Will be interesting to see. Always have had a soft spot for Italy for some reason.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Turkey dropped a deuce. They have the mettle in qualifiers but when the big tournament rolls around ('02 the exception) they sink like a stone.

My friend moved to Milan for a work assignment. First generation Italian-American. Happy he was able to travel to Rome for the game.

Reactions: Incubajerks

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I’m not so surprised Italy would play that well. I’m surprised that Turkey seemed so disengaged, especially after they needed to abandon their shell.

This, I was more surprised by their shell, you can't play that way 90 mins. Happy by our performance, we'll see. I was downtown, a lot of people, many Turkish and really nice atmosphere seemed like normal life for the very first time since you know what.

Reactions: maclean

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Turkey should have some advantage playing their next two in Baku, less travel and probably a decent home support (though those fans are toxic and can turn on them quickly) :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad