GDT: Group A • April 29 • Germany 2, Russia 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinner

May 1, 2010
Toronto is an NHL team?:laugh::laugh:

Yes, they play in the National Hockey League, Northeast division to be exact.

The fact that there a bad team, makes Kulemin look better. He has no one to play with and scored 30 goals against NHL players. His numbers in the NHL and RSL should be enough to warrant a spot in the top-6 on a World Championship roster.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Yes, they play in the National Hockey League, Northeast division to be exact.

The fact that there a bad team, makes Kulemin look better. He has no one to play with and scored 30 goals against NHL players. His numbers in the NHL and RSL should be enough to warrant a spot in the top-6 on a World Championship roster.

Not necessarily. Kulemin isn't as good as Kovalchuk, Morozov or Radulov.......so that leaves 1 spot open. And Zaripov and Zinoviev have good chemistry so that's understandable.

Saying that, Kulemin should at least be on 3rd line with Afinogenov. And I would move Kulemin up to a top 6 when Russia plays a physical North American team.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
How freaking awesome is that? Sorry to the Russian fans but I think there's a collective HELL YEAH! from all the neutral party fans.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Pretty much the entire Russian roster could have played in the NHL if they wanted to. Morozov and Radulov particulary would handle themselves well in the NHL. Radulov had 80 points in 54 KHL games, that's insane. He'd be a 70+ point winger in the NHL at least. Nikulin and Korneev are a couple of others who probably would do well.

I'd like it too if all the best players were in the NHL, but lets be honest here...

That's not truth. Guys like Gorovikov, Tereshenko, Korneev, Atyushov and Kaigorodov aren't NHL quality. And some guys like Morozov and Zaripov are too soft.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Meh, it's a round-robin game.

As long as they progress, it means nothing.

Canada typically starts slow as well.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
That's not truth. Guys like Gorovikov, Tereshenko, Korneev, Atyushov and Kaigorodov aren't NHL quality. And some guys like Morozov and Zaripov are too soft.

that's a loud statement , that I do not agree with, different type of players an average NHL fan is used to, would have a hard time adjusting to the NA game style, but surely got the talent.

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
Just a group game.
They can still and might win the whole thing.

Plain and simple: No. The experience shows that Russian National Teams rarley learn something out of a wake up call. Sad but true. :shakehead

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
deb-o.gif

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
Last year, Russia barely beat Germany 3-2 and went on to win the WC. The first game is rarely a clear indicator of how the team will perform the rest of the tourney.

:laugh: I'm not sure which tourney you were watching, but it definitely wasn't the WC.
Russia also barely beat Germany 2-1 in the semi final.;)

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
:laugh: I'm not sure which tourney you were watching, but it definitely wasn't the WC.
Russia also barely beat Germany 2-1 in the semi final.;)

Yeah, my mind went blank there. Russia didn't win of course, they only made the final. Germany indeed is becoming a thorn to Russia, much like the Swiss to the Canadians in some tournaments. I doubt Germany will make the semis again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they shock someone again.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I watched the entire game.

Unfortunately I think this shows what many have been saying for years. Russian hockey is on a serious decline, which is unfortunate. Canada exposed them at the Olympics. They have extremely poor defensive play and besides a few star players, their overall skill level is not nearly as good as it was in years past.

It's obvious that Russia is no longer in the top 3 nations for hockey, but I do hope they turn it around. They were seriously exposed at the Olympics in not only defense, but teamplay and coaching as well. Bykov is HORRIBLE.

Their players are also now being encouraged to play in a second rate league (KHL) instead of coming over to the top league in the world (NHL) to play against the best players in the world and improve their skill.

If I were to rank the top nations it would obviously be Canada, USA, and Sweden. I'm not even sure that Russia would be #4 anymore but that's likely where they sit right now. Hopefully they don't fall to much further down, but it's obvious that teams like Switzerland and Germany are still improving and that teams like Czechs, etc are all still doing well.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I disagree completely, they are much better than they were years ago.

Last year didn't went so well for them. They had one big blunder against Canada in the Olympics and didn't win the World Championship as the heavy favorite, but that's nothing compared to their play of around 2000.

As a matter of fact, when Russia won in 2008 and 2009 they looked like a real team for the first time in ages. Might even include the 2006 Olympics, where they had quite a few really good games, including the win against Canada. They have dropped off a bit in teamplay, but it's still way ahead of what they have shown in the past.

Not sure why, but the team doesn't show the same team-spirit that Bykov inspired early on. That's what they need to get back to, and if they do, they are a match for everyone.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
I watched the entire game.

Unfortunately I think this shows what many have been saying for years. Russian hockey is on a serious decline, which is unfortunate. Canada exposed them at the Olympics. They have extremely poor defensive play and besides a few star players, their overall skill level is not nearly as good as it was in years past.

It's obvious that Russia is no longer in the top 3 nations for hockey, but I do hope they turn it around. They were seriously exposed at the Olympics in not only defense, but teamplay and coaching as well. Bykov is HORRIBLE.

Their players are also now being encouraged to play in a second rate league (KHL) instead of coming over to the top league in the world (NHL) to play against the best players in the world and improve their skill.

If I were to rank the top nations it would obviously be Canada, USA, and Sweden. I'm not even sure that Russia would be #4 anymore but that's likely where they sit right now. Hopefully they don't fall to much further down, but it's obvious that teams like Switzerland and Germany are still improving and that teams like Czechs, etc are all still doing well.

I disagree with most what you said, they played in 3 straight gold medal games at the WC (winning the first 2) and they played as teams not individuals like in this game, i have no idea what is going wrong at the moment but its just one game, plus the roster this year looks weaker then the previous years.

I do think Russia doesn't produce enough elite defenceman and they probably would benefit from having a different coach then Bykov, someone who spends all (or at least most off) his time on the NT perhaps.

But the KHL (and MHL) are great initiatives and having a stronger domestic league will only benefit Russia in the long run i think. That being said there's still a lot of work to be done in Russian Hockey, both for the NT and the KHL if it really wants to compete with Canada and the NHL maybe the next couple of WC's before Sochi should be used to give more playing chances to younger talented guys coming through, not only Tarasenko but also Kuznetsov, Burmistrov, Orlov etc.. in stead of choosing players who are well passed 30 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad