Post-Game Talk: Grounded! Pens-5, Jets-3

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I was way more impressed with the Jets the first time the two teams played this year. I didn't think they were very good defensively and Pavelec is Pavelec. It seemed they should have taken lessons from the Metro teams (and Wings earlier this year) who beat the Pens with an aggressive forecheck.

Their size could present issues for an opponent in the playoffs, but their D is going to give them problems.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree. He needs to work on his skating IMO. The only skill I feel he's lacking.

His skating is light years ahead of where it was when he was drafted. I thought he may bust because of it. Then by the time he got to WBS his skating was a strength.

Tonight is the first time I've seen him skate that poorly and be so weak on the puck. Pissed me off. He looked like Sutter on the boards.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Pens floated the zone MUCH higher in the third. Christ almighty the wingers were basically sitting on top of the point men and they couldn't really get any shots off. Been waiting for that for a while.

Nothing to complain about tonight besides Kunitz and Sutter. Sutter is basically bland frozen yogurt now.

Other than a little bit in the second period after Kunitz seemed to almost purposely **** up on the back check and gave the Jets momentum, the team played a great game. Very deserving win.

wopper

Jan 12, 2009
I thought Despres had that jump in his step that he seemed to be lacking his last few games before he got sick. He played really well offensively and defensively. Kept the puck alive on the o-zone so many times, was very impressive.

+ Most of the team played smart hockey.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
+Letang. Has really taken his game to another level. Time to end stupid trade proposals with his name in it. Dude is our #1 for atleast the next 5 years.

+Perron. Does this guy have better hands than Sid?? Gosh they are silky!! I was pumped when we got him.. seriously didn't know he was this good though.

+pavelec. Lol love lighting you up ALL THE TIME, bud.
+Ebbett. I though he played well?

-Sutter. Man he so soft. He always just kinda pokes his stick in there rather than getting engaged in a battle.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Great game to be at. Pens looked phenomenal in the first, pretty meh in the second, and great in the third. Good team game. They really fought hard without Sid and Geno

+Perron. Excellent play on the first goal and good play on the goal of his own. He fits in perfectly here
+Hornqvist. Very visible in this game
+Downie. Guy takes a ton of abuse and just keeps on playing.
+Martin. Solid game for him
+Spaling. Finally hit the open net
+++Letang. Because obvious

-Sutter. Actually invisible besides his "goal"
-Scuderi. Can't get the puck out of the zone
-Bortuzzo. Looked really bad all game

=Greiss. Pretty meh game for him

I actually thought Goc looked pretty good. Too bad he plays for the Blues now
Also, a Hornqvist-Crosby-Perron line has the potential to be unstoppable. Look out

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I thought Despres had that jump in his step that he seemed to be lacking his last few games before he got sick. He played really well offensively and defensively. Kept the puck alive on the o-zone so many times, was very impressive.

+ Most of the team played smart hockey.

He still looked very pale on the bench. He's got another level for sure but it was good to see him out there again.

Malkin112*

Why is this team so much better without Crosby and Malkin? It's crazy

Michael8771*

I've been touting both Kane and Lowry quite a bit of late. Boy, they both had strong games tonight.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Here are the D that had 5 assists since 87-88:

LIe1yy7.png

k2UoM3J.png

Only Bourque and Suter did it twice in that span.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We're moving in the right direction, leaving the dumpster fire that was the Shero/Bylsma era behind us. Sid has two legit wingers. Malkin still needs his wingers of the present/future, but Kunitz + Comeau might be alright for the remainder of this season.

I love Perron. I was excited when we got him, but he's gone so far above and beyond expectations since getting here. It's not just about the numbers he's put up, either. He never stops working.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Great game to be at. Pens looked phenomenal in the first, pretty meh in the second, and great in the third. Good team game. They really fought hard without Sid and Geno

+Perron. Excellent play on the first goal and good play on the goal of his own. He fits in perfectly here
+Hornqvist. Very visible in this game
+Downie. Guy takes a ton of abuse and just keeps on playing.
+Martin. Solid game for him
+Spaling. Finally hit the open net
+++Letang. Because obvious

-Sutter. Actually invisible besides his "goal"
-Scuderi. Can't get the puck out of the zone
-Bortuzzo. Looked really bad all game

=Greiss. Pretty meh game for him

I actually thought Goc looked pretty good. Too bad he plays for the Blues now
Also, a Hornqvist-Crosby-Perron line has the potential to be unstoppable. Look out

But you don't win a SC with only one stacked line.
Stacking the first line to the detriment of the other lines is not the way to go.

Michael8771*

But you don't win a SC with only one stacked line.
Stacking the first line to the detriment of the other lines is not the way to go.
Couldn't agree more, and a lot of posters subscribe to this theory. The prudent thing to do is balance out the top six and make the opposition pick their poison.

Michael8771*

Also, Perron has been tremendous, he's a very hungry player, it's great to see.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I always find it astounding how this team comes together when Sid/Geno are not in the lineup. It's absolutely mind boggling how no one defers to one or two players when they have the puck on their stick. Imagine how good this team would actually function if they ever realize that they don't have to always just hand the puck over to Sid/Geno likes its an obligation and requirement for being a Penguin. Too many turnovers have been given to the other team because of a stupid forced pass to those two when there were better options. Not only would it help the team, it would give our superstar centers better options as well.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Game should have went into OT, refs blatantly missed the Pens with too many men on the ice which lead to a goal. No penalties too is odd for the Pens, especially for team #2 in penalty minutes. It is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad