Recalled/Assigned: Grigorenko recalled, Schaller and Ruhwedel reassigned (3/20)

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yes, but I thought he'd look a bit sharper offensively in that role.

Plus, I believe Murray wants a 4th line that can create a little offense, and zone time, not just a line that is put out there to give the other 3 lines a breather.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Plus, I believe Murray wants a 4th line that can create a little offense, and zone time, not just a line that is put out there to give the other 3 lines a breather.

Yeah, and besides, it's the 5th line that provides ~4mins of breather per game :sarcasm:

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Not sure if this is where this thought goes, but pertaining to Grigo, to me it looks like he has a good idea of where he should go on the ice, which is more than I could have said before.

The problem for him is that those areas are generally not the boards, and his line seemingly always tries to dump and retrieve. So he is almost completely dependent on his linemates to win possession before he can do anything offensively. If they don't, then he ends up just skating back and forth between the offensive and defensive slots, which looks lazy.

So that's not really a problem directly attributable to him, but one that is is that he seems to have a problem "flipping the switch" and bursting into action the instant that he actually does end up with the puck. After spending so much time gliding and waiting for his linemates, once he actually gets a touch he seems to be in slow motion for the first second or two, during which the defense closes and he usually ends up making a harried decision. Hopefully he can improve in that area.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Not sure if this is where this thought goes, but pertaining to Grigo, to me it looks like he has a good idea of where he should go on the ice, which is more than I could have said before.

The problem for him is that those areas are generally not the boards, and his line seemingly always tries to dump and retrieve. So he is almost completely dependent on his linemates to win possession before he can do anything offensively. If they don't, then he ends up just skating back and forth between the offensive and defensive slots, which looks lazy.

So that's not really a problem directly attributable to him, but one that is is that he seems to have a problem "flipping the switch" and bursting into action the instant that he actually does end up with the puck. After spending so much time gliding and waiting for his linemates, once he actually gets a touch he seems to be in slow motion for the first second or two, during which the defense closes and he usually ends up making a harried decision. Hopefully he can improve in that area.

If you've been watching you'd see he's starting to win more battles that result in possession as evidenced by the board work he did last night to set up Des in the slot. He also set up a Gionta rebound goal in Dallas by winning a battle and dishing the puck to Foligno. We're seeing him do this more often as opposed to never in past stints.

TNCHL

Yeet
Aug 3, 2014
Toronto
grigorenko

Leafs fan here, I have a question regarding grigorenko because I've heard many say that he's not a good prospect and some say he's a great prospect. Is he good or bad? Why would some people think of him as a bad player? Just wondering.

Karate Johnson*

It seems to be really up to him.

He's slow, but his effort is what holds him back more.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I think most would agree that he has a high ceiling but hasn't shown too much yet in the NHL. The differing opinions are probably based on whether people think he will ever come close to that ceiling.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Leafs fan here, I have a question regarding grigorenko because I've heard many say that he's not a good prospect and some say he's a great prospect. Is he good or bad? Why would some people think of him as a bad player? Just wondering.

He is 20 and hasn't made an impact yet, his entry deal is expiring so that contributes to the negative opinions.

He is big, good at faceoffs, has a great passing touch and is getting better at physical style basics so that makes other optimistic.

He was viewed as boom or bust when drafted and hasn't boomed yet, but I feel his bust factor has diminished. Still a good prospect.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
There are a bunch of threads around here where is this discusses in much detail, one where the discussion is currently going on is this one but there are others that are more in-depth: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1858681&page=3

In short: He is a boom or bust prospect, his potential is very high but there also is a pretty good chance that he'll never reach said potential. He was rushed into the NHL when he clearly wasn't ready and has looked inconsistent and soft at times, which has some people believe that he doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the NHL while others point out that most players his age don't even play in the NHL that early in their career, so it would be unfair to write him off because he has played poorly as an 18 or 19 year old.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
you should probably trade us morgan rielly now before the price goes up, get him at a discount before he really breaks out

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
There are a bunch of threads around here where is this discusses in much detail, one where the discussion is currently going on is this one but there are others that are more in-depth: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1858681&page=3

In short: He is a boom or bust prospect, his potential is very high but there also is a pretty good chance that he'll never reach said potential. He was rushed into the NHL when he clearly wasn't ready and has looked inconsistent and soft at times, which has some people believe that he doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the NHL while others point out that most players his age don't even play in the NHL that early in their career, so it would be unfair to write him off because he has played poorly as an 18 or 19 year old.

He was horribly mis-handled by darcy regier, which may also be part of the reason some dislike him as a prospect. He was brought up too quickly, and because of this, they burned through his rookie contract way too quickly, and didn't allow him to stay in one play long enough to make any impact on his game. He was bounced back and fourth from his jr team to the NHL, and then the AHL when he was qualified, so if he is going to succeed, it will likely be as a late bloomer at this point.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
The guy finally looked NHL ready this training camp and looked like one of the better players. But Reinhart was going to get his 9 game tryout so they sent Grigorenko back to the AHL. He has done well there and has improved in the areas he needed to.

He's been called up a few times in the NHL and has been mostly underwhelming. Last few games there have been glimmers. Looks stronger, more confident. Got like 6 shots off the other night. Need to see more but he looks like if he got more top 9 time he could break out.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I think he's the kind of prospect that would flourish on a team that could shelter him and play him with some semi talented linemates. That's not Buffalo at all. He'd be a great fit in Detroit, Anaheim or Boston. I think his effort has gotten a bad rap. He's not a Nolan kind of guy.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He's going to be an NHL'er. His development needs more time, another year in the A as a call up.

Of course, I don't believe he'll be a Sabre come draft day. I think he gets packaged for ROR, either the islanders 1st or the two 2nd's. Just my opinion of course.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He's going to be an NHL'er. His development needs more time, another year in the A as a call up.

Of course, I don't believe he'll be a Sabre come draft day. I think he gets packaged for ROR, either the islanders 1st or the two 2nd's. Just my opinion of course.

He can't be in the AHL next year. Or more accurately he won't be. He has to go through waivers to get there and will get claimed. If claimed he has to be on the NHL roster of the team that claims him.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
He made some very nice plays last night, both physically and offensively, but also had moments where he stood around too long or made a passive play. As he gets more comfortable with the rigors of an NHL schedule and bodying up at this level then he will improve.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Not cashing in on his opportunities(thankfully), but he seems to be putting himself in some great positions lately while getting a lot of scoring chances.. He is still has a long way to go, but certainly looking more promising than earlier this year or last year..

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
He has shown some great chemistry with foligno the last few games and both have had several chances however both seem to have a hard time finishing. ..yes ik foligno potted 2 last game but they weren't goals that were all to impressive.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Give the guy a break. He's still just so very young and all this negativity just stems from people having had irrational expectations for him.
I'd love to see a Larsson - Grigorenko - Foligno line at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad