Recalled/Assigned: Grigorenko recalled, Schaller and Ruhwedel reassigned (3/20)

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
The interesting thing about this is, it's definitely a Murray move. Is he getting involved now?? He has decisions to make on these guys (Grigorenko, Hackett)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The interesting thing about this is, it's definitely a Murray move. Is he getting involved now?? He has decisions to make on these guys (Grigorenko, Hackett)

Getting involved now? He's been involved with these moves from the get go.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I was just wondering if this was our 4th of 4 recalls. Can it be just a swap of emergency recalls? Is that not allowed? Or was Schaller a regular call up?

@kevinoDandC
Reporters in Buffalo are predicting a return to the #Sabres lineup of Andrej Meszaros. That means Chad Ruhwedel must return to #Amerks ...

(cont.) or the Sabres must change Chad Ruhwedel's status from emergency to straight, and they then would have no more straight recalls.

Looks like Mike G is the fourth and final recall for this season. He's getting a 12 game evaluation it seems to me.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
I was just wondering if this was our 4th of 4 recalls. Can it be just a swap of emergency recalls? Is that not allowed? Or was Schaller a regular call up?

I'm confused about it too.

From the CBA:

(b) (i) A Club Recalling a Player from a minor league club, under emergency
conditions, must specify on the transfer form the name of the injured, ill or suspended Player
whom the Player on emergency Recall is replacing.
(ii) When an emergency condition terminates, the Club must submit a transfer
form indicating whether the Player's status has converted to regular Recall
or is Loaned to his minor league club

So, a swap wouldn't be allowed.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Are there any other strategic benefits to doing this is what I'm wondering. Like for instance does having Grigorenko on the team over Shaller provide a benefit if someone else goes down with an injury? Seems like an odd recall if not. Someone joked that when Kaleta came back it would be the end of Larsson, could this be a pre cursor? I believe Dalpe needs to be sent down however.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Are there any other strategic benefits to doing this is what I'm wondering. Like for instance does having Grigorenko on the team over Shaller provide a benefit if someone else goes down with an injury? Seems like an odd recall if not. Someone joked that when Kaleta came back it would be the end of Larsson, could this be a pre cursor? I believe Dalpe needs to be sent down however.

Not that I can think of? Unless TM wants a further look at Grigo, and/or how Nolan handles him.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY

Dalpe was a regular recall pre-deadline, doesn't count against anything.

the 4 recalls that counted were:

Schaller
Hackett
D'Amigo
Grigorenko

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY

Yes. It is 4 of 4.

Schaller, D'Amigo, Hackett, Grigo

Varone, Larsson, and Dalpe were before 3/2 (trade deadline). If/when Kaleta comes back its up to TM who he wants to send down from these 3. I don't think it needs to be a "whomever came up for Kaleta" send down. I could be completely wrong though.

For reference:
Varone -> For ZG
Larsson -> For Kaleta
Dalpe -> For Ennis

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Per Kevin O, the only straight recalls that the Sabres had previously used were Larsson, Varone and Dalpe. Those three were all sent down prior to the trade deadline, then recalled after so that they can be sent down again following the completion of the NHL season. Therefore, we can conclude that sending Makarov down made it possible to recall Hackett on an emergency basis. Therefore, by the same logic, since Schaller was sent down, the recall of Grigorenko could similarly be an emergency recall.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I wonder if Grigo is gonna get the 2C for this game.

That would be nice. Varone hasn't done much, and sure not enough to be a "2c", since the standard first 1-3 games of lookin' good after initial call up.

I think I read he is going into Schaller's spot. So its Des/Grigs/Hodgson

Haven't seen that posted except as speculation on here, but wouldn't be surprised. Shame if it happens too. I'd be glad to see both Grigorenko and Hodgson put into an offensive role opportunity for a decent stretch before the end of the season to really see where both are at now. In Grigorenko's case, after the up/downs and challenges via coach's commentary, etc. and in Hodgson's case, after so long being obliged to play the grinder role with the likes of Des.

Besides, not only has Varone tailed off as expected from his initial wow'ing, there's probably not much future for him on the Sabres in an offensive role so it wouldn't be bad to see if he can do a more serviceable 3rd line job than Schaller was pulling off.

If it were me making the lines tonight (and I was truly instructed not to let Hodgson play in his strongest spot at center), I'd go with Foligno-Grigorenko-Hodgson & Des-Varone-Gionta for lines 2a/2b, splitting the ice time according to how the game flows.

Sadly, I'm not in charge of these things though :shakehead

EDIT: Just saw Vogl's twitter:

https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/status/579049310068875264

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad