Recalled/Assigned: Griffith called up;Cunningham sent down

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I thought Griffith was one of the best guys in preseason. Hope he can find a spot on this team. I wouldn't mind skating him with Bergeron and sticking Smith with Krejci

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Should have made the team out of camp
But Julien probably wanted Cunningham because he's kind of a two way player.
Robins is not good at hockey either.
Who knew you needed goals to win

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Cunningham's style is similar to Campbell's so I think that played a huge part in why he was kept up here even after being waived.

He and Griff should both be here.

member 96824

I see what you mean...

I give him a little more credit than that. There are a lot of players in this league that can skate and shoot but there are very few that can see the ice at a high level. I look at him as more of a Savard player but obviously he isn't going to be putting up those kind of points. Really hoping he can get a few games with Krejci/Lucic because I am really impressed with what I have seen from him so far.

If he can fit in and play well with a guy like Bergy then I'm excited to see what he can do with a pure playmaker and a guy who, when on his game, is one of the best power forwards in the league.

Absolutely, would love to see it. I'm high on Griffith, was hoping we'd take him the first time around with one of our later picks, surprised he didn't stick with Tampa on his try out. Kid has proven doubters wrong at every single level.

I do think asking much more than 20 goals, 40-50 points is asking a lot though. At the end of the day, as high on this kid as I am, he does have a ceiling.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Absolutely, would love to see it. I'm high on Griffith, was hoping we'd take him the first time around with one of our later picks, surprised he didn't stick with Tampa on his try out. Kid has proven doubters wrong at every single level.

I do think asking much more than 20 goals, 40-50 points is asking a lot though. At the end of the day, as high on this kid as I am, he does have a ceiling.
Hopefully Tampa's loss is our gain for years to come. He's not going to be our savior but if he can help us regain balance in our lines then I feel like he will be successful and the team will get back on track offensively.

Excited to see him tomorrow.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I realize that all the smart hockey people believe the return was very good. If Chiarelli uses these picks in a trade for genuine right wing help, that's fine. But it doesn't solve the D problem created by Boychuck's departure. And again, if the Bruins are desperate enough to attempt plugging that hole through the acquisition of another defenseman, the price will be exorbitant & the player won't be as good. Who trades a third pairing D?

I'm hoping these unhappy developments were foreseen, and that there are multiple options to address them going forward. Otherwise, the Boychuck trade begins to look not only nonsensical, but an earthquake that seriously damages team character & chemistry.

This is long so fair warning.

I think the context of when a trade happened and the outlook for the team at that time can be just as important as the return for the trade:

They don't have Iginla (30 goals) and Thornton (leadership) anymore. Siedenberg/McQuaid/Kelly coming back from injuries. Lucic coming off of wrist surgery which was prohibitive to working out over the summer. Campbell is out hurt and he is a solid 4th line player. Loui Eriksson is not the player they thought he could be for them. From what I have read, management AND coaching staff were not impressed with the prospects during camp who were trying to make the team.

The only way I trade Johnny Boychuk is if there was a deal on the table that I was going to sign immediately after hanging up the phone with the Islanders. The list of UFA's on last year of their deal is not good, and this early in the season who is going to make a move to give up what we need unless they are in complete tank mode for McDavid or Eichel? Even then would they need to be blown away by the Bruins offer? What will the standings landscape be over the next months while Chiarelli tries to pry someone away that can help? Will they be reluctant or able to deal someone away that will compensate for the cap space needed to bring in said top line RW sniper?

The context of this trade far outweighs the return, even if in a vacuum the Bruins got a solid one from the Islanders.....which may not be that solid considering you traded them perhaps their missing piece to have a great season.

Edit: I keep forgetting the 2nd rounder in 2015 is from Philly so I can't criticize Bruins for helping Islanders this year.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Altamira, I agree with you especially in regard to timing and lack of a second action.

That's what's bugged me about this whole deal.

It's like taking an aspirin today in case you have a headache next week.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Respect, Cunningham. Did more than I could ask. Really impressed many. Look forward to seeing you in the future. Hopefully Griffith can help the scoring department.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't think we have anyone in Boston or Providence who can play RW on the Krejci line. Some might be better than others but we have two players who can play top 6 RW and one of them just has zero chemistry with Krejci and didn't work last year with Bergy. Smith can maybe play RW with Krejci but then that leaves a hole on the Bergy line but Bergy is IMO better at baby sitting a kid than Krejci.

Fraser IMO just isn't ready.
Griffiths might work but who knows. Chia really needs to trade for a top 6 RW that will fit the Krejci line-finding a dance partner might be the tough part.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This is long so fair warning.

I think the context of when a trade happened and the outlook for the team at that time can be just as important as the return for the trade:

They don't have Iginla (30 goals) and Thornton (leadership) anymore. Siedenberg/McQuaid/Kelly coming back from injuries. Lucic coming off of wrist surgery which was prohibitive to working out over the summer. Campbell is out hurt and he is a solid 4th line player. Loui Eriksson is not the player they thought he could be for them. From what I have read, management AND coaching staff were not impressed with the prospects during camp who were trying to make the team.

The only way I trade Johnny Boychuk is if there was a deal on the table that I was going to sign immediately after hanging up the phone with the Islanders. The list of UFA's on last year of their deal is not good, and this early in the season who is going to make a move to give up what we need unless they are in complete tank mode for McDavid or Eichel? Even then would they need to be blown away by the Bruins offer? What will the standings landscape be over the next months while Chiarelli tries to pry someone away that can help? Will they be reluctant or able to deal someone away that will compensate for the cap space needed to bring in said top line RW sniper?

The context of this trade far outweighs the return, even if in a vacuum the Bruins got a solid one from the Islanders.....which may not be that solid considering you traded them perhaps their missing piece to have a great season.

Edit: I keep forgetting the 2nd rounder in 2015 is from Philly so I can't criticize Bruins for helping Islanders this year.

The longer the funk continues, the more desperate the Bruins become, the worse the return. Other GMs will be looking for more, not less. Nor will they be inclined to do Peter any favors.

We'll see how this "experimentation," as Dom might have it, works out. I'm not sanguine.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Altamira, I agree with you especially in regard to timing and lack of a second action.

Last year's Bruins trade Boychuk at the exact same time, we aren't happy but it would have been much easier to justify.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I hope before they try anything too drastic, they at least exhaust the possibilities that they have now. i.e., try Smith with Krejci, maybe Gagne works on Bergy's RW (wouldn't be the first time Bergy and Marchand worked well with a vet who's maybe lost a step).

Maybe after a month or so in the AHL, Pastrnak is tearing it up and full of confidence, and warrants another look.

But only if none of that works, then look to pull the trigger on a trade, which would have to mean losing a warm body.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I don't think we have anyone in Boston or Providence who can play RW on the Krejci line. Some might be better than others but we have two players who can play top 6 RW and one of them just has zero chemistry with Krejci and didn't work last year with Bergy. Smith can maybe play RW with Krejci but then that leaves a hole on the Bergy line but Bergy is IMO better at baby sitting a kid than Krejci.

Fraser IMO just isn't ready.
Griffiths might work but who knows. Chia really needs to trade for a top 6 RW that will fit the Krejci line-finding a dance partner might be the tough part.

I'm probably going to get roasted for years with this suggestion....but I would put Bergeron on the RW with Krejci and Lucic for a couple shifts during the game tomorrow in the first period. This team needs a spark, what would it do for their energy if those three went out there and buried a goal?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Nope, he is not that young and not that good. There is a reason he was undrafted and has waited this long. He is in great shape and works hard but his ceiling is reached, he is probably playing over his head. He and Bartkowski are a big reason we lost in the second round last year. Now we have Seids back but are without Boychuk, pretty much the same equation but without the hope of an injured stawlorth returning to our top 4...

Yep, he made a bad play in the playoffs last year. Clearly he was a big reason the Bruins lost.

Miller played 11 playoff games, 19:26 per game, was a +2. He played very well up to that point.

In the regular season he was a +20 in only 47 games.

In 3 games this year, only Miller & Kelly are + players. I don't believe he has been on the ice for a goal against yet.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Problem is now bottom 6 has 4 rookies. I guess Bruins' brass figure it is easier to break in 4 instead of one at a time. :shakehead

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal

exactly....but what if you cut your hand? the aspirin won't do any good.

Now the Bruins have 2 holes instead of 1. They need a top 6 fwd and a top 4 D.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

More like taking a laxative and crapping your pants on the way to work in fear you might get constipated at the end of the day.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

No, it's more like trading away your back pills that are due to expire, trusting that your back is in good enough shape, and getting back some all-purpose steroids and a gift card to the pharmacy to be used on whatever may be needed - likely where you currently feel weakest - your "wings." :)

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
From what I have seen, I like Griffith, but I am not sure how long we can afford to have him as our 1st line right winger. Something may have to be done, assuming Pastrnak isn't going to be ready this year.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Nice to see Griffith rewarded. I hope he sticks, but my concern is whether or not he can work the boards at an NHL level, which isn't necessarily a defensive thing. We want him here to spark the offense but most offensive pressure is created via puck possession and cycling. Griffith is certainly smart enough, but in the pre-season game and practices I saw, he was easy to take the puck from along the walls. Hopefully he bears down in those situations because that could be the one thing that stands in his way.

Personally, I'd go with...

Marsh-Bergy-Smith
Lucic-Soder-Eriksson
Fraser-Spooner-Griffith
Paille-Kelly-Robins

If the rookie line struggles, I flip them with the Kelly line and limit their minutes.

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Really happy to see Griffith getting a chance, but I don't think Cunningham should have been sent down he showed he could easily replace Campbell. I guess though with Krejci due back and Campbell soon as well they needed to move a center out. I still would have preferred to see Robbins get sent down he is one of the worst skaters on the team, yeah he can throw some punches, but that is all he can do and those guys are done in today's game.

Fraser has trouble skating, but does have a great shot and because he put up good AHL numbers I could see him being part of a package or throw in to land a top 6 forward.

Spooner needs to stay with the team for a while yet, guy has great speed and is very creative, on the PP he moved the puck around very well, but playing with 2 slow guys like Looch and Fraser is not what he needs.

I can also see Cunningham getting called back up if they trade Campbell as that seems like a good possibility there are teams looking for a #3 C type which he could be if needed and is fairly cheap 1.6 so he could moved as soon as he is ready to go.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Really happy to see Griffith getting a chance, but I don't think Cunningham should have been sent down he showed he could easily replace Campbell.

I can also see Cunningham getting called back up if they trade Campbell as that seems like a good possibility there are teams looking for a #3 C type which he could be if needed and is fairly cheap 1.6 so he could moved as soon as he is ready to go.

I agree. Cunny was impressive. He led the team in hits (10 in 3 games), had 2 takeaways and won 55.2% of his draws.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Nothing wrong with his play even if it wasn't anything amazing. We will see Cunningham again this year.

I like giving Griffith a shot early on. Pasternak will be getting his 9 games sooner rather than later so bring Griffith up first.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Yep, he made a bad play in the playoffs last year. Clearly he was a big reason the Bruins lost.

Miller played 11 playoff games, 19:26 per game, was a +2. He played very well up to that point.

In the regular season he was a +20 in only 47 games.

In 3 games this year, only Miller & Kelly are + players. I don't believe he has been on the ice for a goal against yet.

Plus minus is misleading in this case. He was exposed against the Habs as a liability. That play was the culmination of being a pylon. The problem with our team last year was that guys like Miller were playing too many minutes and couldn't handle it. McQuaid used to be able to give the top pairings a break without being hemmed in, Miller makes Claude tell Z to have one leg over the bench the moment the shift starts...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad