Player Discussion Griffin Reinhart: Trade for, season expectations, all in here [UPD: Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
We weren't getting Hamilton without losing Nurse and 16oa period. Get over it. Was never going to happen .

Boston wanted 3 picks in a row, hard feelings toward Chia... And they wanted Nurse+ those picks. I'm glad we didn't overosy even if Hamilton improved the team.

That's fine and I agree that deal was a non-starter but everyone is saying there was no way it could have happened and we dont know that. They traded one of the best young d-men in this league for a few draft picks, you cant say that getting three picks in a row was more important to them than getting a decent return.

What it comes down to is improving the team by building a better defence. Getting Hamilton would have been a move that brought in something better than what we had. You cant say that with Reinhart, it's questionable if Reinhart is going to be better or closer to making an impact than the draft picks we gave up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That's fine and I agree that deal was a non-starter but everyone is saying there was no way it could have happened and we dont know that. They traded one of the best young d-men in this league for a few draft picks, you cant say that getting three picks in a row was more important to them than getting a decent return.

What it comes down to is improving the team by building a better defence. Getting Hamilton would have been a move that brought in something better than what we had. You cant say that with Reinhart, it's questionable if Reinhart is going to be better or closer to making an impact than the draft picks we gave up.
There was a way it could of happened. It would of been a huge overpay invovling Nurse. And I have a strong feeling Nurse will be better then Hamilton

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
He's a smart player. Uses his stick often and has pretty decent gap control. Reads plays well. Doesn't use his size as much as he probably could, although I have seen some brief nasty streaks from him when he's pushed. Skating could still use some improvement. All things considered, he could be a top 4 defensive d who occasionally chips in on offence IMO.

He is a very big guy. He is great in the corners defensively and his positioning defensively is in point. He has a big booming shot but doesn't get used much as he is used as a shut down guy. He has leader written all over him and teammates always have loved him. Team Canada liked him enough to run a d Short till his suspension was up cause they needed his services.

He will never be an offensive dynamo but he is very good defensively and if he gets more physical he will just dominate players in puck battles.

Thanks for that. I kinda got that vibe from him the few times I watched him and from what was written about him locally in the news. He really seems like a good possible shutdown guy with size, good hockey sense, and with a shot that still has a lot of potential to be realized by proper coaching and practice by Reinhart. I just hope that my initial reaction to the trade, which was full of fist pumps on my behalf, holds true.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think Nurse and Reinhart will both start in BAK unless they have monster camps and pre seasons and leave Chia no choice. The blue line is just too crowded and playing 20-30 games in the A won't hurt them. They both get big time minutes and will more then likely see lots of call up time with injuries.

I'd love nothing more then to see them both in the show and I don't really doubt that ability wise they can do more then Nikitin and Ferrence but we've already got Klefbom still establishing himself and Schultz confidence isn't great and he's trying to turn it around. Adding more rookies full time doesn't seem like a great idea.

Nikitin will be gone by end of season and I really think Ferrence will be bought out at the end of the year, He will be 37 by then and while he is a leader he's not an effective player anymore.

I say Reinhart will become a player in the mold of Hammer/Alzner/Vlasic and guys like that are always undervalued because they don't put up a pile of points but they are guys that quietly do all the things that win games.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Part of me still wonders if Sekera will be put on the Right Side (he's played it before I believe), so that might change the outlook of the defense significantly.

Crazy talk

Nurse - Sekera
Klefbom - Fayne
Reinhart - Schultz
Gryba
Ference

Nikitin in Russia.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
aah yeah, I think hes grown up. Elite player now

True, and id take him in a heartbeat. He has incredible potential

Either way this is a GR discussion so ill drop any mention of other players.

I expect GR to start in NHL but be sent down after nine or so games. I believe Nikitin will come to camp in shape and not be a tire fire. Hell be a capable bottom pairing guy so this will allow GR to be sent to the AHL to get a ton of ice. Maybe pair him and Nurse

One more note about Sequin. He still hasn't grown up. Was benched at the end of last season in Dallas for skipping practice. Elite player, yes.

I agree that GR starts in the year in the AHL.
Sekera, Fayne, Klefbom, Schultz, Nikitin, Gryba, Ference. Only way he makes the club is if Nikitin is dealt at the end of camp. Even then GR needs minutes and the AHL would give him that. PB wouldnt.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
They did the same smear job on Seguin and he went to Dallas and his become a top 5 offensive player in the league. That there is all this crap written about 21 and 22 year old players is an indictment of the media in Boston, not on the player being torn to shreds.
Seguin was benched the last game of the regular season for being late to meeting or something like that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's not fair to bring up Hamilton in comparison to Reinhart. I know that everyone wanted Hamilton, including myself, and even on draft day I wanted us to trade those picks for a veteran RHD, not another prospect, even a good prospect like Reinhart. I also disagree with Chia's sentiment that Reinhart is NHL ready today. He's not wrong, but he's wrong if it's about our team. In St.Louis he could play right away.

Overall, I think the trade was a good one, just not the trade we really needed right now. In a way, we lost our realistic shot at the playoffs on the same day that we drafted McDavid. We got our goalie but not our Dman. I think we needed the right trading partner and that partner just wasn't there. Just because there's a player that you imagine was available to us doesn't mean he was.

I'm still holding out some hope that someone like Byfuglien is available to us, but if we don't get him, I'm not going to assume that Chiarelli is incompetent, lazy or timid.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

It's not fair to bring up Hamilton in comparison to Reinhart. I know that everyone wanted Hamilton, including myself, and even on draft day I wanted us to trade those picks for a veteran RHD, not another prospect, even a good prospect like Reinhart. I also disagree with Chia's sentiment that Reinhart is NHL ready today. He's not wrong, but he's wrong if it's about our team. In St.Louis he could play right away.

Overall, I think the trade was a good one, just not the trade we really needed right now. In a way, we lost our realistic shot at the playoffs on the same day that we drafted McDavid. We got our goalie but not our Dman. I think we needed the right trading partner and that partner just wasn't there. Just because there's a player that you imagine was available to us doesn't he was.

I'm still holding out some hope that someone like Byfuglien is available to us, but if we don't get him, I'm not going to assume that Chiarelli is incompetent, lazy or timid.
Thank you. It takes 2 to tango. You cant force gms to trade with you unless you give them an offer that is too good to refuse. Then you are just a bad gm.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Thank you. It takes 2 to tango. You cant force gms to trade with you unless you give them an offer that is too good to refuse. Then you are just a bad gm.

Yes, but he's got to fix the team. I've got sympathy for him because he's very new and already added Sekera, Talbot, Letestu, Reinhart, and some other moves. There was a point where I thought he might actually fix the whole team in one offseason but it's looking like it wasn't meant to be. I expect the remaining issues with the team to be solved, at the very least by this time next year.

And until then, we could still be a playoff team. You never know. Chia might earn his stripes with a few key mid-season moves.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I love how high Bob Green is on Griffin but in the same video he says that he didn't watch him at all in the AHL last year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yes, but he's got to fix the team. I've got sympathy for him because he's very new and already added Sekera, Talbot, Letestu, Reinhart, and some other moves. There was a point where I thought he might actually fix the whole team in one offseason but it's looking like it wasn't meant to be. I expect the remaining issues with the team to be solved, at the very least by this time next year.

And until then, we could still be a playoff team. You never know. Chia might earn his stripes with a few key mid-season moves.
Agreed.

Adding McDavid and Sekera and having a real coach who understands defensive systems and young forwards might be enough. We are always better on paper, this year we could simply live up to it

McDeathbyCheerios*

I love how high Bob Green is on Griffin but in the same video he says that he didn't watch him at all in the AHL last year.
They had scouts that did though and I think they did watch some tape. Don't think they ever went in person though

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
All the angst about what didn't happen, but stop for a second and think, what if Reinhart turns into a good defenceman? If he becomes a good player for the team everyone will look back in a few years and say "wow Chia sure called that one"

I know people like to downplay Reinhart because he didn't knock peoples socks off last year, but come on, the guy was drafted 4th overall and there were lots of rumours the Oilers were thinking of taking him #1 overall, not like he doesn't have a pedigree. Wouldn't be the first defenceman to take his time developing.

Not every move to turn a franchise around is a home run. This is really the kind of move that does it better than anything. Relatively small price for a prospect with potential and then you hope they reach that potential. I think the problem is the team has for so long been either a place where the management takes in bad prospects or develops them horribly. Let's see how Chiarelli is as a judge of prospects and how good the new coaches are at developing prospects. There's some evidence there that these guys are better than the last guys so let's give em a chance.

A good and a intelligent post:handclap:

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Part of me still wonders if Sekera will be put on the Right Side (he's played it before I believe), so that might change the outlook of the defense significantly.

Crazy talk

Nurse - Sekera
Klefbom - Fayne
Reinhart - Schultz
Gryba
Ference

Nikitin in Russia.

Am I loony to love that D lineup?

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB

Crazy talk

Nurse - Sekera
Klefbom - Fayne
Reinhart - Schultz
Gryba
Ference

Nikitin in Russia.

I really like the look of that D line up. The only thing I don't like is that it will never happen.

It's almost a guarantee Nurse and GR will be in the AHL so Gryba/Nikitin and Ference can play bottom pairing. It's too bad.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I really like the look of that D line up. The only thing I don't like is that it will never happen.

It's almost a guarantee Nurse and GR will be in the AHL so Gryba/Nikitin and Ference can play bottom pairing. It's too bad.

I don't think this is a guarantee at all, I think each player under this new coach will have a chance to earn their spot.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Overall, I think the trade was a good one, just not the trade we really needed right now. In a way, we lost our realistic shot at the playoffs on the same day that we drafted McDavid. We got our goalie but not our Dman. I think we needed the right trading partner and that partner just wasn't there. Just because there's a player that you imagine was available to us doesn't mean he was.

The problem with this way of thinking is it's the same tired excuses we've been giving our management for 9 years. There's nothing we can do so we just have to accept the mediocre moves that are available to us. There was a player out there and he was available and we didnt get him. Well that will be the same excuse we hear when we dont get Byfuglien or Seabrook or any other top pairing defenders and we wait for Reinhart to magically turn into one. I've got nothing against Reinhart but his upside is at best a solid 2nd pairing shutdown guy and more likely a 3rd pairing guy who maybe gets some extra time on the PK. We need that but it's not exactly a tough commodity to get.

There are higher expectations on this team now. We've got McDavid on an entry level contract, we've got to compete soon. We cant just keep waiting for a top pairing d-man to fall into our laps.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The problem with this way of thinking is it's the same tired excuses we've been giving our management for 9 years. There's nothing we can do so we just have to accept the mediocre moves that are available to us. There was a player out there and he was available and we didnt get him. Well that will be the same excuse we hear when we dont get Byfuglien or Seabrook or any other top pairing defenders and we wait for Reinhart to magically turn into one. I've got nothing against Reinhart but his upside is at best a solid 2nd pairing shutdown guy and more likely a 3rd pairing guy who maybe gets some extra time on the PK. We need that but it's not exactly a tough commodity to get.

There are higher expectations on this team now. We've got McDavid on an entry level contract, we've got to compete soon. We cant just keep waiting for a top pairing d-man to fall into our laps.

History actually shows that you do in fact wait for the top pairing defenseman to just fall into your lap. Or more accurately for circumstances that make that player available. There was already one example of that this year that benefitted the Oilers. Sekera was a UFA because LA`s cap structure was in limbo due to the Voyonov-Richards situations. And in the end the Oilers ended up with him for nothing but money and term.

Boychuk and Leddy last year were deals that came up due to circumstance. Both were cap related moves that happened unexpectedly and at a very unusual time. Hamilton this off season fell into the Flames lap. There is little evidence to support the belief that this was a drawn out transaction.

I would also strongly disagree that the player Reinhart is perceived to be is an easy commodity to get.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I think you have low expectations for Reinhart.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
History actually shows that you do in fact wait for the top pairing defenseman to just fall into your lap. Or more accurately for circumstances that make that player available. There was already one example of that this year that benefitted the Oilers. Sekera was a UFA because LA`s cap structure was in limbo due to the Voyonov-Richards situations. And in the end the Oilers ended up with him for nothing but money and term.

Boychuk and Leddy last year were deals that came up due to circumstance. Both were cap related moves that happened unexpectedly and at a very unusual time. Hamilton this off season fell into the Flames lap. There is little evidence to support the belief that this was a drawn out transaction.

This is why the Oilers should have used the picks instead of cashing out with Reinhart. Picks and young prospects have far more liquidity than roster players and older prospects.

I think you have low expectations for Reinhart.

Strong 3rd/OK 2nd is a fair expectation for Reinhart. It leaves him some room to overachieve while not selling him completely short.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Heard he trained extremely hard this season, was his first offseason in a while he was able to get a got hard training in. Came into camp just chiseled!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Heard he trained extremely hard this season, was his first offseason in a while he was able to get a got hard training in. Came into camp just chiseled!

I hope this is true. He's got a lot of NHL level talents. If he can get the speed and strength to play his game effectively at the NHL level, he could become a D like Alzner. That would be very welcome.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Dude definitely has the frame to be stupid strong. If he has filled out and worked on his skating he could easily be a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad