Grey Cup Champions, 2019 Blue Bombers

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
2021 should be a go with fans

KC Chiefs just announced they are planning on 18,000 fans at the home opener this year. We might not get 33,000 a game but we hardly did anyways before. Problem for the casual fans like me is Rum Hut area I'm sure won'tbe the same as 2019 for a bit

Reactions: AlphaLackey

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

KC Chiefs just announced they are planning on 18,000 fans at the home opener this year. We might not get 33,000 a game but we hardly did anyways before. Problem for the casual fans like me is Rum Hut area I'm sure won'tbe the same as 2019 for a bit

difference is KC is in the states. I could easily find 18,000 people in KC that think this is all a hoax and would be more than willing to go to a football game. Not so much in Winnipeg.

Realistically though, you could probably sit 10,000 at a Bomber game with social distancing, but the problem is getting them all in and out, using washrooms, concessions , etc.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Complete bs but oh well. Bad look on government funding pet projects but not something widely popular.

Anyways onto 2021. It'll be interesting to see what happens with contracts, etc. Lots of players will be likely never returning, itll be alot of turnover when we get back on the field.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Complete bs but oh well. Bad look on government funding pet projects but not something widely popular.

Anyways onto 2021. It'll be interesting to see what happens with contracts, etc. Lots of players will be likely never returning, itll be alot of turnover when we get back on the field.

yep. Bombers have likely lost two-thirds of their roster if not more

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
im hoping we don’t lose the league. Losing both the Bombers and Goldeyes in one year would be tough.
There's no way the league folds. Just...no way. We might be back to an 8 team league or even maybe a 7 team, that I could see. MTL maybe. BC maybe. But fold? No way.

Put it this was, brand new stadiums in Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Ottawa. Those won't go away, provinces/municipal govs might take a hit but will help those orgs weather through. Calgary and Toronto are owned by orgs that the CFL is a rounding error, they won't fold them. That's 6 guaranteed. I'm 99% sure Edmonton will also be OK.

BC has a committed owner but he's older and not the uber wealthy that he can maintain no matter what. Still think they'll be OK. MTL of course is big question mark, money loser and brand new owners not sure how committed.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

18,000 fans in a 75,000 seat stadium would be like 5,000 fans in our stadium, don't think that would generate enough revenue for the Bombers .

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
wait, wait, the Goldeyes folded?

not yet. Sam Katz is saying he might have to fold them because the city will charge too much for the ballpark — that might not be entirely right but it’s something along those lines. Hoping he’s just bluffing and the Fish don’t go anywhere. Spending a night at the ballpark in the summer is always a good time.

Reactions: Fairview

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
wait, wait, the Goldeyes folded?

Would anyone notice, care or even miss them? Slippery Sam got a free ride for his ballpark and a $1/year lease on city owned land for parking for years after he negotiated a deal for himself by himself! When the time came for him to actually have to pay For anything he threatens to move or fold, call his bluff and let him bugger off, good riddance.

having Winnipeg as the hub city for the CFL and 800 players and staff was always very problematic, no way a low budget league like the CFL had the resources to safely protect and isolate players and staff from the public and vice versa, it would have been a COVID-19 outbreak waiting to happen!

CFL commissioner’s embarrassing performance when he first went to Ottawa looking for....wait for it, just $150 M was a joke, that in itself should have sent him packing! Ottawa never took him or CFL seriously after that, why would they? Maybe he should have asked for $6 billion dollars first so the charade could have ended a lot sooner!

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Would anyone notice, care or even miss them? Slippery Sam got a free ride for his ballpark and a $1/year lease on city owned land for parking for years after he negotiated a deal for himself by himself! When the time came for him to actually have to pay For anything he threatens to move or fold, call his bluff and let him bugger off, good riddance.

having Winnipeg as the hub city for the CFL and 800 players and staff was always very problematic, no way a low budget league like the CFL had the resources to safely protect and isolate players and staff from the public and vice versa, it would have been a COVID-19 outbreak waiting to happen!

CFL commissioner’s embarrassing performance when he first went to Ottawa looking for....wait for it, just $150 M was a joke, that in itself should have sent him packing! Ottawa never took him or CFL seriously after that, why would they?

All it would take is one idiot like that rookie on the Seahawks who figured he could pass off a lady friend as a player. :shakehead

The CFL will be just fine. If it can survive US expansion and the Gliebermans, it can survive Covid. :laugh:

Reactions: GNP and sipowicz

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
CFL commissioner’s embarrassing performance when he first went to Ottawa looking for....wait for it, just $150 M was a joke, that in itself should have sent him packing! Ottawa never took him or CFL seriously after that, why

Amen good sir. Randy has been an absolute joke of commissioner and is still talking about growing a global league. Maybe he should focus on his own back yard first.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Amen good sir. Randy has been an absolute joke of commissioner and is still talking about growing a global league. Maybe he should focus on his own back yard first.

no kidding, when the CFL can’t draw flies in it’s three biggest cities maybe Randy should worry More about that Than putting a franchise in Helsinki!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
18,000 fans in a 75,000 seat stadium would be like 5,000 fans in our stadium, don't think that would generate enough revenue for the Bombers .

That's this year. We are 10.5 months away from home opener for Bombers. Covid won't be thought of the same IMO

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
That's this year. We are 10.5 months away from home opener for Bombers. Covid won't be thought of the same IMO

I was reading an online newspaper story this morning about a poll in Canada by one of the top pollsters showing that Manitoba has a larger percentage than most other provinces of people who don't take the pandemic seriously, something like 30% vs. national average of 18%. Ontario and Quebec produced much better numbers in the poll. Can't remember the numbers exactly and can't find the link, but it made for gloomy reading. In a year's time, without a really effective vaccine(s), I can easily see the Manitoba landscape being not much different from how it is now, if not worse, thanks to idiots and deniers. If I were the CFL, I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet. Still lots of room for things to go pear-shaped.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hey, at least we're going to be the remaing the Grey Cup Champions.

I mean, I think Nic Demski could get an NFL tryout or he remains loyal to the Bombers, he and Andrew Harris get jobs within the Winnipeg area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad