Grey Cup Champions, 2019 Blue Bombers

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I am very very confident the CFL will survive. But headlines like this on cfl.ca make me less confident.

FEATURES AUGUST 21, 2020
O’SHEA SADDENED BY SEASON CANCELLATION, BUT CONFIDENT ABOUT THE FUTURE

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Because he evens needs to comment on a league future. My baseline assumes a 2021 season, a future, the fact he needs comment on league continuing is a bad sign, imo.

I think the CFL can withstand one season off no problem, there are enough deep pocketed owners and enough vested interests in keeping the league going that it will get through a cancelled 2020 season just fine. Where it gets more complicated is if 2021 and even 2022 get called off. Then all of a sudden it's not a slam dunk decision anymore and I can see the league in serious trouble.

The good news is that even if the CFL dies due to a cancelled 2021 season, it seems to me that a new league would take its place once it's safe to have large crowds in stadiums again. Out of the 9 current markets, you can easily draw 20 to 30 thousand a game in 6 of them, and the other 3 are good for 10 to 20 thousand a game. All but Calgary have high quality stadiums available, and even Calgary's is serviceable. So that's more than enough to get a successor league going, if that's what it comes to.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think the CFL can withstand one season off no problem, there are enough deep pocketed owners and enough vested interests in keeping the league going that it will get through a cancelled 2020 season just fine. Where it gets more complicated is if 2021 and even 2022 get called off. Then all of a sudden it's not a slam dunk decision anymore and I can see the league in serious trouble.

The good news is that even if the CFL dies due to a cancelled 2021 season, it seems to me that a new league would take its place once it's safe to have large crowds in stadiums again. Out of the 9 current markets, you can easily draw 20 to 30 thousand a game in 6 of them, and the other 3 are good for 10 to 20 thousand a game. All but Calgary have high quality stadiums available, and even Calgary's is serviceable. So that's more than enough to get a successor league going, if that's what it comes to.

I would be quite happy to see a league where Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver weren't offered franchises. Now they're talking revenue sharing so successful community owned teams will help defray the losses of the private owners in bad markets. f*** that!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You can get your name put on the new base of the Grey Cup for the low price of $399

Completely embarrassing, it's called the fan base which the cup will supposedly sit on. $399 for casual fans, $349 for CFL season ticket holders. Real bush league all around, what's next CFL coins of different denominations but with no actual monetary value!

CFL should look at hitting up TSN for an advancement of TV revenue instead of embarrassing the league!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Completely embarrassing, it's called the fan base which the cup will supposedly sit on. $399 for casual fans, $349 for CFL season ticket holders. Real bush league all around, what's next CFL coins of different denominations but with no actual monetary value!

CFL should look at hitting up TSN for an advancement of TV revenue instead of embarrassing the league!

Arts groups have been doing things like this forever. Maybe the CFL will start including a message in their season ticket renewals along the lines of...

Your season tickets cover only a portion of the cost of putting on these game performances. Please consider including a non-deductible donation to the <insert name here> Football Club so we can continue to bring you top quality players from all over Canada, the US and Europe. :sarcasm:

Reactions: sipowicz

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
not yet. Sam Katz is saying he might have to fold them because the city will charge too much for the ballpark — that might not be entirely right but it’s something along those lines. Hoping he’s just bluffing and the Fish don’t go anywhere. Spending a night at the ballpark in the summer is always a good time.

We'll still have the ball park and you can watch other teams play there.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You could change the title of this thread to 2019 AND 2020 Grey Cup champions, timing is everything. :laugh:

In the absence of the game being played, the league should award the 2020 Grey Cup to the host team as compensation for losing the event. :nod:

167d438494b23bca53ad74c7b4599988.jpg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Streveler makes Arizona's 53 man roster, you have to be happy for him.:thumbu:

I'm actually quite surprised at that, but maybe they'd like a running QB, for those 3rd and 1 situations. :dunno:

He is really good at those alright.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I'm actually quite surprised at that, but maybe they'd like a running QB, for those 3rd and 1 situations. :dunno:

He is really good at those alright.
Or 4th and 1 situations . ;)

Reactions: GNP

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury on Chris Streveler being the backup QB ahead of Brett Hundley: "We just feel like Strev gives us an edge," adding the plan is to stick with Streveler as the No.1 man behind Kyler Murray for now.

Reactions: irunthepeg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
People said I was crazy stating the Streveler would make the roster back in February. Now he's up to #2 already. I wouldn't bet against him eventually starting some games in NFL at some point.

Remember he played much of last year on a bad ankle, he's a beast when healthy.

I'm not sure he starts as long as Kyler Murray is healthy (assuming he stays in Arizona), but it's good to see him getting involved with an NFL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad