Votes: 88 34.8%
  • Dominik Hasek+Alex Ovechkin

Votes: 165 65.2%

• Total voters

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Do we get Hasek for his insane prime years throughout the duration of his career or do we have to have the losing the backup job to Jimmy Waite part too?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky 100% no question asked.

Hasek's first Vezina was at age 29, and first hart at age 32.
Ovechkin at age 29 and 32 is still a terrific player (won rocket both years) - but nowhere near as good as at his peak when he was sweeping awards. So - their peaks would not coincide.

Gretzky is not only the greatest player in history - he's also the player in history who more than anyone made his teammates and linemates better. So that helps his case too.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think a goalie is anywhere near as important as a top center. I honestly don't think goalies are even that important. Hasek couldn't win one until he joined a stacked Red Wings team. Ovechkin's great but he hasn't been passed the second round in his career other than the cup year. He also had some good goalies playing with him so it wasn't that. Give me Gretzky.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Do we get Hasek for his insane prime years throughout the duration of his career or do we have to have the losing the backup job to Jimmy Waite part too?
Not Dom's fault the Hawk had no idea what they were dealing with at the time. Two HOF goalies join the team at the time time. They hitched their wagon to one of them, but it turned out not the better of the two.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I honestly don't think goalies are even that important. Hasek couldn't win one until he joined a stacked Red Wings team.

@5 Minute Major, instead of your obnoxious laugh emoji, how about you tell me what I said that was so hilarious?

My obnoxious laugh emoji was for your two obnoxiously stupid statements listed above.

1- You honestly don't think goalies are even that important. I don't even know where to begin or end other than to say you should know much better being a Rangers fan. Your team doesn't make it out of round 1 without your goalie.

2- Dom Hasek nearly carried a very mediocre Sabres team to a Cup and was on the verge of doing so at least one other time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My obnoxious laugh emoji was for your two obnoxiously stupid statements listed above.

1- You honestly don't think goalies are even that important. I don't even know where to begin or end other than to say you should know much better being a Rangers fan. Your team doesn't make it out of round 1 without your goalie.

2- Dom Hasek nearly carried a very mediocre Sabres team to a Cup and was on the verge of doing so at least one other time.

And Hasek didn't win with Buffalo and Shesterkin didn't win and Lundqvist didn't win. None of the three could carry the team to a Stanley Cup victory. I'm a Rangers fan and it's precisely why I think goalies are overrated in terms of winning cups.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Not Dom's fault the Hawk had no idea what they were dealing with at the time. Two HOF goalies join the team at the time time. They hitched their wagon to one of them, but it turned out not the better of the two.
Nope 100% not his fault but it did hurt his career

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I don't think a goalie is anywhere near as important as a top center. I honestly don't think goalies are even that important. Hasek couldn't win one until he joined a stacked Red Wings team. Ovechkin's great but he hasn't been passed the second round in his career other than the cup year. He also had some good goalies playing with him so it wasn't that. Give me Gretzky.

And Hasek didn't win with Buffalo and Shesterkin didn't win and Lundqvist didn't win. None of the three could carry the team to a Stanley Cup victory. I'm a Rangers fan and it's precisely why I think goalies are overrated in terms of winning cups.

Gretzky couldn't win without a stacked Oilers team so what's your point? Good goalies lol. Like who? Varlamov? Huet? Samsonov? Yeah Holtby was good for a few years but he's about a million miles behind Hasek.

And Gretzky didn't win with LA or st Louis or NYR. He couldn't carry the team to a Stanley cup victory. Lemieux couldn't carry the pens to the playoffs until he got a stacked team and he and Jagr never won without each other. It's almost like it takes a great team to win.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I feels insane to not pick Gretzky, but as others have mentioned you get two great players to build around. One of the greatest goalies of all time and one of the greatest goal scorers of all time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Gretzky couldn't win without a stacked Oilers team so what's your point? Good goalies lol. Like who? Varlamov? Huet? Samsonov? Yeah Holtby was good for a few years but he's about a million miles behind Hasek.

And Gretzky didn't win with LA or st Louis or NYR. He couldn't carry the team to a Stanley cup victory. Lemieux couldn't carry the pens to the playoffs until he got a stacked team and he and Jagr never won without each other. It's almost like it takes a great team to win.

Sure, all I'm saying is give me great skaters over a great goalie on just a good team.

Also, I don't think it's the only reason but goalie haven't been top picks in the NHL draft since like 2003 for a reason.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Put Gretzky with an above average goalie and I’m going with him all day. No question

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gretzky for their careers but I think I’d take Hasek+Ovi at their peaks. Not having the worry about what is going into your own net and then having a guy who can help get that little goal support required would be a recipe for success

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad