Build around

• Wayne Gretzky

Votes: 88 34.8%
  • Dominik Hasek+Alex Ovechkin

Votes: 165 65.2%

• Total voters

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
And Hasek didn't win with Buffalo and Shesterkin didn't win and Lundqvist didn't win. None of the three could carry the team to a Stanley Cup victory. I'm a Rangers fan and it's precisely why I think goalies are overrated in terms of winning cups.
what?

without shesterkin the rangers might not qualify for the play-offs. your skaters aren't anything special.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Gretzky for their careers but I think I’d take Hasek+Ovi at their peaks. Not having the worry about what is going into your own net and then having a guy who can help get that little goal support required would be a recipe for success
hasek and ovi have a comparable kind of longevity. for the sake of this discussion you can't assume hasek steps on NA soil at the age of 26 for the first time.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
And Hasek didn't win with Buffalo and Shesterkin didn't win and Lundqvist didn't win. None of the three could carry the team to a Stanley Cup victory. I'm a Rangers fan and it's precisely why I think goalies are overrated in terms of winning cups.

And Gretzky didn’t win after leaving Edmonton. And Lemieux didn’t even make the playoff for years. And peak Ovechkin didn’t win. And McDavid still hasn’t won. And Bourque never won in Boston. Every great player needs a supporting cast. I think goalies can be less important in the sense that it’s easier for an average goaltender to get hot and play elite than it is for an average skater to do the same, but at the same time, when you’re always getting that elite goaltending, especially when it’s a cut above the other elite goaltenders like with Hasek, you’re not spoiling your chances if you can find the right supporting cast. Some great teams can never get over the hump because they’re constantly undone by goaltending.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky couldn't win without a stacked Oilers team so what's your point? Good goalies lol. Like who? Varlamov? Huet? Samsonov? Yeah Holtby was good for a few years but he's about a million miles behind Hasek.

And Gretzky didn't win with LA or st Louis or NYR. He couldn't carry the team to a Stanley cup victory. Lemieux couldn't carry the pens to the playoffs until he got a stacked team and he and Jagr never won without each other. It's almost like it takes a great team to win.

Gretzky didn't win after Edmonton because he was getting older/injured and was no longer a peak 200+ point machine. If he had been- he'd have won elsewhere. Gretzky is in a different class, but even he slowed down with age.

Lemieux reached his peak level in ~88, and he won 2 cups shortly after. With how injuries hit him, he didn't have many years at his peak.

As for Hasek - 'he almost won in Buffalo'. Ok - so did Kolzig in Washington the year after. Or Vanbiesbrook in Florida 3 years prior. Or Price last year with a weaker Habs group than Buffalo had. There's been lots of great goalie performances in the playoffs over the years - Hasek in the 99 playoffs gets overblown. Great performance - but many goalies have had similar caliber playoff runs, it doesn't stand out that much.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
what?

without shesterkin the rangers might not qualify for the play-offs. your skaters aren't anything special.

First of all, look at Georgiev's record and the record of the Islanders. The Rangers make it as a wild card team with an average starting goalie. Second, we have a Norris winner, a former Hart finalist, a top 15 enter in the league, and a 50 goal scorer on the team. This take that the Rangers were some garbage team carried by their goaltender is bullshit. Third, despite that the Rangers skaters while not the garbage you're making them out to be weren't good enough to win a cup and Shesterkin didn't help them win the cup either, which is my point exxactly.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And Gretzky didn’t win after leaving Edmonton. And Lemieux didn’t even make the playoff for years. And peak Ovechkin didn’t win. And McDavid still hasn’t won. And Bourque never won in Boston. Every great player needs a supporting cast. I think goalies can be less important in the sense that it’s easier for an average goaltender to get hot and play elite than it is for an average skater to do the same, but at the same time, when you’re always getting that elite goaltending, especially when it’s a cut above the other elite goaltenders like with Hasek, you’re not spoiling your chances if you can find the right supporting cast. Some great teams can never get over the hump because they’re constantly undone by goaltending.

Off the top of my head Vasi, Quick, and Tim Thomas were the the only post-lockout teams to win it and have elite goaltending. How many teams that won it didn't have a #1 center?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I like these types of poll. Even tho I'm an Oilers fan, Gretzky shouldn't always be the answer. Going with Hasek and OV here by a slight margin

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Gretzky didn't win after Edmonton because he was getting older/injured and was no longer a peak 200+ point machine. If he had been- he'd have won elsewhere. Gretzky is in a different class, but even he slowed down with age.

Lemieux reached his peak level in ~88, and he won 2 cups shortly after. With how injuries hit him, he didn't have many years at his peak.

As for Hasek - 'he almost won in Buffalo'. Ok - so did Kolzig in Washington the year after. Or Vanbiesbrook in Florida 3 years prior. Or Price last year with a weaker Habs group than Buffalo had. There's been lots of great goalie performances in the playoffs over the years - Hasek in the 99 playoffs gets overblown. Great performance - but many goalies have had similar caliber playoff runs, it doesn't stand out that much.

We'll never know.

Lemeiux hit his peak around 87 yet he couldn't even carry the pens to the playoffs. He won "shortly after" because the team got stacked.

You're just proving the point of how a hot goalie can carry a mediocre team far, definitely further than 1 forward can.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Off the top of my head Vasi, Quick, and Tim Thomas were the the only post-lockout teams to win it and have elite goaltending. How many teams that won it didn't have a #1 center?
That is more of a function of salary cap allocation, and not that goaltenders aren't valuable. The pre-lockout Cups were dominated by elite goaltenders - 3 for Brodeur, 4 for Roy, 1 for Hasek, 1 for Belfour. Only the Red Wings in 97 and 98 were winning Cups in that era without elite goaltending.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Greatest player ever vs best LW and best goaltender ever. I would take Ovechkin and Hasek without much debate.

A single player doesn't win a Cup. McDavid put together a modern day Gretzky like performance with 10g and 23a in 16 games, it got his team 8 wins.

Hasek alone could put a mediocre team in the Cup Final. Ovechkin after that is just gravy.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That is more of a function of salary cap allocation, and not that goaltenders aren't valuable. The pre-lockout Cups were dominated by elite goaltenders - 3 for Brodeur, 4 for Roy, 1 for Hasek, 1 for Belfour. Only the Red Wings in 97 and 98 were winning Cups in that era without elite goaltending.

Well salary cap allocation is a proxy for player value. If you can't afford to allocate X amount for a top goalie because you have to allocate it for a top forward doesn't that mean that the forward is more valuable?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Well salary cap allocation is a proxy for player value. If you can't afford to allocate X amount for a top goalie because you have to allocate it for a top forward doesn't that mean that the forward is more valuable?
I mean, the Lightning have won back to back Cups with the best goaltender in the League on a big contract, so it's not like goaltenders are just awful value. It just is a bit tougher.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Comparing Hasek to Lundqvist is like comparing Gretzky to I don't know, Yzerman? Just stop.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I would have to disagree. Prime Gretzky in todays hockey is still a top tier player but definitely not god mode like he was in the 80s90s
This is a dumb argument. You can only judge them relative to their peers. Gretzky was so far above his it’s ridiculous. Nobody will ever reach that level of dominance. McDavid is the closest we have today, and his contemporaries are much closer to him than Gretzky’s were.

And if you are going to bring up the argument that the average player is better today, again, it’s all relative, and also, that argument would make sense if Gretzky dominated because of things like speed, athleticism, and strength. He didn’t. It was all mastery combined with intrinsic skill/aptitude and a brain that processed the game much faster and more complete than anyone else. Once in a lifetime player.

That being said, I take the combo of Hasek + Ovechkin over Gretzky alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad