Player Discussion Greg Pateryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The team can't score goals but you want to play someone like Pateryn ahead of Nesterov? Come on.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The team can't score goals but you want to play someone like Pateryn ahead of Nesterov? Come on.

While Nesterov is better to move the puck than Pateryn, the later is better at doing things to make sure we're actually getting the puck back.

Besides, we're mainly looking for a parner for Nathan Beaulieu, who is :
- Currently on the 3rd pairing.
- The better player on any possible 3rd pairing.
- A puckmover himself.

The idea is to come up with a player to complement Beaulieu.

Mind you, if Beaulieu played on the 1st pairing instead, my views might be different, because we'd probably be looking for a player to Partner with Emelin instead.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
While Nesterov is better to move the puck than Pateryn, the later is better at doing things to make sure we're actually getting the puck back.

Besides, we're mainly looking for a parner for Nathan Beaulieu, who is :
- Currently on the 3rd pairing.
- The better player on any possible 3rd pairing.
- A puckmover himself.

The idea is to come up with a player to complement Beaulieu.

Mind you, if Beaulieu played on the 1st pairing instead, my views might be different, because we'd probably be looking for a player to Partner with Emelin instead.

This !

:handclap:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Nesterov is awful, and since when is he generating offense? Pateryn can bring some physical play and he does generate shots on net.

I think Pateryin is a CJ type of player, and won't punish him every time he makes a tiny mistake.. unlike Therrien.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Pateryn needs to play and we need him in the lineup, imo, as he does everything Emelin does without the multiple brainfarts every game...

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Nesterov/Emelin - Pateryn

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Beaulieu has played much better with Pateryn than Nestea from what I've seen.
He plays better with Pateryn than with Petry most games also...
But I still feel his spot should be with Weber.
I'm really not sure how our heavily reported desire to exploit our PMD and mobility never got cemented into place with our one D who could use it most.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
They should try for a couple of games :

Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Markov - Pateryn

Give them all around 20 minutes a game and see what happens .

One tough defensive D + one PMD on each pair...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They should try for a couple of games :

Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Markov - Pateryn

Give them all around 20 minutes a game and see what happens .

One tough defensive D + one PMD on each pair...

The issue with this is, why the actual **** would you artifically limit the icetime of Weber and Petry?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If they can all provide a steady level of play why should we play Weber 28 minutes a night?

Because the idea is to make sure the better players are the ice as often as they possibly can.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If they can all provide a steady level of play why should we play Weber 28 minutes a night?

...they all can't provide a steady level of play, that's the problem and that's why Weber and Petry get used soo much...Emelin is braindead, Markov has slowed remarkably and is almost 3rd pairing/PP material only now, Beaulieu needs seasoning in a bad way, Pateryn has been punished almost as bad as Tinordi was and it shows in his play - too afraid to make a mistake...Nesterov is new to the scene but isn't really an upgrade on anyone...Julien has a lot of work to do with the D and, if Sergachev isn't ready for the show for a couple of years, the Habs need an upgrade on the left side in a big way and soon...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...they all can't provide a steady level of play, that's the problem and that's why Weber and Petry get used soo much...Emelin is braindead, Markov has slowed remarkably and is almost 3rd pairing/PP material only now, Beaulieu needs seasoning in a bad way, Pateryn has been punished almost as bad as Tinordi was and it shows in his play - too afraid to make a mistake...Nesterov is new to the scene but isn't really an upgrade on anyone...Julien has a lot of work to do with the D and, if Sergachev isn't ready for the show for a couple of years, the Habs need an upgrade on the left side in a big way and soon...

Eh.... Weber and Petry are used so much because they're better players.

I mean, Marcus Kruger brings a steady level of play, but that would be an awfully bad reason to give him as much IT as to Jonathan Toews.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Because the idea is to make sure the better players are the ice as often as they possibly can.

Weber is going to end up with more minutes anyways , he kills penalties and plays the PP.

You could put him out there with Markov when we get an offensive zone FO .

Just try it , what is there to lose anyway?

You don't know that because those combinations were not used yet.

Emelin was great this season, to be honest, his play dipped lately but the whole team is struggling.

I don't know what games you're watching , Markov is still our best offensive D out there. And he's still playing good hockey.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't really understand why they are not playing Pateryn...

Nesterov is useless. We have enough and better d-men than him to carry puck.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Pateryn has certainly had some rough games, but I think he has had a tougher time earning minutes than any player in the last couple of years. I like him more than Nesterov, Barberio and any of the other 6/7s we have had up.

There must be something that I don't understand. I'm actually shocked he isn't playing for CJ and I wonder if that is in part based on advice from JJD.

By the way was there ever a better assistant coach for the backend than Jacques Laperriere? It seems like so many players reached and exceeded their potential.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pateryn has certainly had some rough games, but I think he has had a tougher time earning minutes than any player in the last couple of years. I like him more than Nesterov, Barberio and any of the other 6/7s we have had up.

There must be something that I don't understand. I'm actually shocked he isn't playing for CJ and I wonder if that is in part based on advice from JJD.

By the way was there ever a better assistant coach for the backend than Jacques Laperriere? It seems like so many players reached and exceeded their potential.

I don't know the value of placing so much weight on the early experiments that Julien is devising. The players need to move on from a system that is not working and that they have been internalizing for up to 5 years, from the previous coach.

If you're a low pairing D and you happen to be on the outside looking in, the good news is that you're also at the lowest barrier to entry for playing time. By definition, lower pairing D are flawed and some will eventually take themselves out of games. Other good news for Pateryn -- he's starting with a clean slate as it is obvious that the previous coach had his mind made up in respect of not seeing Pateryn as a regular. That can definitely change. Pateryn only needs to keep working hard. The rest is way too premature to determine at this stage although the part that continues to be an irritant, is whatever JJD thinks about anything.

And of course, we're all going to be grateful whenever it is that JJD's thoughts will be hepa-filtered out by Julien to the extent that he gives way to someone Julien can credibly rely upon.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The issue with this is, why the actual **** would you artifically limit the icetime of Weber and Petry?

Because Weber and Petry aren't playing well with their higher work loads.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
[/I]
Because Weber and Petry aren't playing well with their higher work loads.

Petry has been worse than Nathan many many nights.
He had one spurt where we said okay he's found himself but that was short lived.
Greg was playing steady enough to dress all through that 6/7 fiasco. IMO

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
[/I]

Petry has been worse than Nathan many many nights.
He had one spurt where we said okay he's found himself but that was short lived.
Greg was playing steady enough to dress all through that 6/7 fiasco. IMO

Petry is barely a top 4 D. Another overpayment by MB. What's new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad