Player Discussion Greg Pateryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Absolutely. Pateryn strikes me as a player built for the playoffs.

Would you say the more physical and sound defensively Pateryn will have the edge over the offensive minded and finesse game of Nesterov, right off the bat for Julien?

I really feel bad for Pateryn when you consider how little the guy has played over the years, he has gotten the short end of the stick, no doubt. I also believe we need his toughness and physical game in the lineup more than what Nesterov brings.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Would you say the more physical and sound defensively Pateryn will have the edge over the offensive minded and finesse game of Nesterov, right off the bat for Julien?

I really feel bad for Pateryn when you consider how little the guy has played over the years, he has gotten the short end of the stick, no doubt. I also believe we need his toughness and physical game in the lineup more than what Nesterov brings.

Julien's a systems guy. I'd guess Pateryn would fit better. He's older than Nesterov and his mental game is more evolved and more adaptable to playing within a structure. I really don't know what Therrien disliked about him. Maybe Pateryn complained. And yes, as you said, he also brings a serious physicality to a back end that needs it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think Pateryn is going to be one of Julien's favourites. Big, physical guy but he's actually mobile and can move the puck.

Julien's going to have a great time with this group of defensemen compared to the defensemen he was working with in Boston, especially last season, including the likes of McQuaid and K. Miller.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I think Pateryn is going to be one of Julien's favourites. Big, physical guy but he's actually mobile and can move the puck.

Julien's going to have a great time with this group of defensemen compared to the defensemen he was working with in Boston, especially last season, including the likes of McQuaid and K. Miller.

The mark of a great coach is that he brings the best out of his players. For the most part, CJ has done that. There are obvious exceptions like Jagr, but, Boychuk, Lucic and Soderberg are examples of young players who flourished under CJ, but aren't as good under other coaches. Pateryn could be a beneficiary of this.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I know if doesn't look like he'll be in the lineup tomorrow, but he still sounds relieved MT is finally gone lol.

Hopefully he does well whenever his chance arises.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why did Therrien hate Pateryn? Is it because he's smart?

"Hate" overstates it, but yeah, Therrien obviously didn't like something about Pateryn's game. I really can't figure it out, especially considering the turnstile of lousy 3rd-pairing defensemen we saw for awhile. You'd guess it would be related to off-ice attitude rather than on-ice performance.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I know if doesn't look like he'll be in the lineup tomorrow, but he still sounds relieved MT is finally gone lol.

it showed in his play

weve seen what he can do when he has confidence, and weve seen what happens when a certain someone was "breathing down his neck"

hopefully he becomes a great bottom pair dman under claude

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
"Hate" overstates it, but yeah, Therrien obviously didn't like something about Pateryn's game. I really can't figure it out, especially considering the turnstile of lousy 3rd-pairing defensemen we saw for awhile. You'd guess it would be related to off-ice attitude rather than on-ice performance.

Probably didn't bow to MT's presence. MT was a classic egomaniac. You'd figure you want your sports starts to be confident, strong personalities and not try to tear them down. It's no coincidence that the guys MT favored where the more quiet, go with the flow players like DD, Plek, Markov, etc.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I actually really like this guy. He has a great slaps shot, if only it was accurate.

Hardest shot on the team after Weber. I like seeing Pateryn wind up because I feel like if he doesn't score, something will happen with a rebound or a net-front scramble.

He also shoots low more than he shoots high.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yes, there certainly seems to have been something. Every year Pateryn seemed to make jumps in his development and play and every year it was a struggle for him to get ice time. Then when he would get it he would play solid . He should have had a full time spot on the bottom pair last year.

This year was the first time he seemed to actually be struggling to me over any period of time. I think he had reached the end of the line under MT. Why ? God knows.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I actually really like this guy. He has a great slaps shot, if only it was accurate.

Him and everybody else. How many more times can we hear, "Winds up and fires... just wide of the net!"? Part of the reason the Habs' possession stats have been so good is that we take so many shots that miss.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why did Therrien hate Pateryn? Is it because he's smart?
Typical bully behavior, always has someone on a short leash so to speak...always.
Felt bad for Patteryn this season, one mistake and pasted to the bench, and then scratched...I think you will see him play vs the bigger teams usually, and will pas Nesterov on the depth chart for the playoffs...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Typical bully behavior, always has someone on a short leash so to speak...always.
Felt bad for Patteryn this season, one mistake and pasted to the bench, and then scratched...I think you will see him play vs the bigger teams usually, and will pas Nesterov on the depth chart for the playoffs...

Then we should see Pateryn today against Winnipeg.

I think Pateryn will very much appreciate CJ because hearing from some former players who were coached by Julien (Dandenault and Mathieu Descoteaux who Julien coached in Juniors), they say that one of CJ's qualities is he makes sure the players know what he wants them to do.

Pateryn will not get mixed messages or no messages at all, for that matter. If he's scratched, he will know why. If he's in the line-up, Julien will make sure he knows what role he wants him to play. And that will help Pateryn very much.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Well, it looks like the kids will be playing together tonight on the third line- Beaulieu and Pateryn. I hope neither one gets in the doghouse early on. I'm more worried about NB to be honest.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well, it looks like the kids will be playing together tonight on the third line- Beaulieu and Pateryn. I hope neither one gets in the doghouse early on. I'm more worried about NB to be honest.

Where did you get this info? From my understanding, Pateryn was the odd man out yesterday at practice. It was Beaulieu with Nesterov.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Seems that Pateryn's wife retweeted this tweet and then deleted her twitter account later... :laugh:

Wozniak/Leblanc all over again :)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Nesterov is Bergevins guy, no way Pateryn gets in over him until he is proven to be a bust.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Pateryn from what I have seen is easily the best #6 D option we have had all year. Hopefully CJ sees that soon.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Seems that Pateryn's wife retweeted this tweet and then deleted her twitter account later... :laugh:

Wozniak/Leblanc all over again :)

And that's not really the worst things that were deleted. Criticize coach decisions are a thing, going full-privileged bigot is another.

Probably a cautionnary tale about thinking before posting.

I should do the same sometimes :)

Wow Nesterov is Awful and he's playing infront of Pateryn a legit #6, CJ need more time to see it.

Pateryn from what I have seen is easily the best #6 D option we have had all year. Hopefully CJ sees that soon.

Both players are #6-7 guys who bring in something different.
Let's just say that I prefer what Pateryn brings. Not to mention he'S definitely Under-exploited on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad